foster care and guns in the home - solution

This is a discussion on foster care and guns in the home - solution within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know I mentioned this a year or two ago, but I thought i'd post a thread explaining the issue and how I've managed to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: foster care and guns in the home - solution

I know I mentioned this a year or two ago, but I thought i'd post a thread explaining the issue and how I've managed to work around it.

My wife and I became foster parents over a year ago. We have had a few weekend placements here and there but we just got our first long-term placement not too long ago. Well, the problem is C.P.S. has a rule that any guns in the home be unloaded and the ammunition must be stored in a different locked safe from the gun. And the two safes must have different keys. So you can imagine how annoying it is every day that I must open one safe for the gun and another for the magazine. This has made it virtually impossible to carry chambered as well. I tried chambering and unchambering the gun each day. Keep in mind I can't use the same bullet each time I chamber since it could suffer from setback. But honestly it is just too much work and I finally just said forget it and don't bother with chambering a round. What is even more scary is the idea of a home invasion at night. It will now take considerably longer to get a working gun ready to defend our family.

However, I had an idea recently and when CPS came for the last visit I asked the worker about it. I have one biometric safe (fingerprint style) that I had been using originally to store my loaded gun. But since it doesn't use a "key" I figured it didn't meet their "two-key" requirements. So I have not been using it since we got a placement. I showed it to the lady and she had never seen such a thing before. So I asked her if my finger qualified as a key. She thought about it and said yes. So I asked her if I bought another biometric safe, and programmed the fingerprint from my other hand on that one, would that be considered a different key. She also agreed. So I'm going to go get another safe and put them side-by-side. That way I can walk up to them and slide my fingers (one from each hand) on them simultaneously so that I can get quicker access to the gun and magazine. It doesn't solve the problem of chambering, but otherwise should speed things up considerably in the mornings and evenings.
    Lish and DingBat like this.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Very clever. I like it!
    oneshot likes this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

JD
    Administrator
    *revolver*

Get one. No more set back issues.

I don't know that I could handle being a foster parent, my sister and BIL did it for many years. God bless you for doing what you do, a lot of kids need fostering unfortunately.

Clever idea you have there, hopefully you never need to access and use that quickly.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Senior Moderator
    I would go with a revovler and a couple of speed loaders
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Be sure you're one of the good foster parents. I had more than a few bad ones.

I salute you for taking in a child sorely in need of what most of us were blessed with: someone to love and care for us. Glad to see you found a plausible solution for what I consider a stupid rule and shared it with the group.
    ShooterGranny and molleur like this.

Adric, you are a better man than I for doing what you are doing. I could not, and would not turn my life upside down for a voluntary act. Good for you taking on a challenge like this. A revolver in this instance seems to be your solution. Thanks for sharing this with us, it really shows the good side of gun owners....Keep up the good work.
    molleur likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    I would use a revolver as well. Good thinking.

mkh
    God bless you for doing this.

My sister and BIL are foster parents and have adopted 2 of the girls. They recently had a 6 month old baby girl that had been molested by her mother and they have a premie boy now that was board addicted to drugs He is no longer addicted but still has some health issues. I couldn't handle it as I would want to seek revenge on the scum parents. There is no h**l hot enough for parents that use while pregnant or abuse their newborn child.
    molleur likes this.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Is it worth your time to be politically active on the issue? Maybe get a gun friendly legislator to submit a bill altering these moronic rules?
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

dont take that CPS workers word!!!

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I know I mentioned this a year or two ago, but I thought i'd post a thread explaining the issue and how I've managed to work around it.

My wife and I became foster parents over a year ago. We have had a few weekend placements here and there but we just got our first long-term placement not too long ago. Well, the problem is C.P.S. has a rule that any guns in the home be unloaded and the ammunition must be stored in a different locked safe from the gun. And the two safes must have different keys. So you can imagine how annoying it is every day that I must open one safe for the gun and another for the magazine. This has made it virtually impossible to carry chambered as well. I tried chambering and unchambering the gun each day. Keep in mind I can't use the same bullet each time I chamber since it could suffer from setback. But honestly it is just too much work and I finally just said forget it and don't bother with chambering a round. What is even more scary is the idea of a home invasion at night. It will now take considerably longer to get a working gun ready to defend our family.

However, I had an idea recently and when CPS came for the last visit I asked the worker about it. I have one biometric safe (fingerprint style) that I had been using originally to store my loaded gun. But since it doesn't use a "key" I figured it didn't meet their "two-key" requirements. So I have not been using it since we got a placement. I showed it to the lady and she had never seen such a thing before. So I asked her if my finger qualified as a key. She thought about it and said yes. So I asked her if I bought another biometric safe, and programmed the fingerprint from my other hand on that one, would that be considered a different key. She also agreed. So I'm going to go get another safe and put them side-by-side. That way I can walk up to them and slide my fingers (one from each hand) on them simultaneously so that I can get quicker access to the gun and magazine. It doesn't solve the problem of chambering, but otherwise should speed things up considerably in the mornings and evenings.
    my wife and I have learned the hard way! go directly to the state foster care law makers to get the real answer. these workers are over paid and undereducated, and will give answers off the cuff not fully understanding what the state actually says about the matter. and whammo!!! your in court trying to save your licence, because you took the word of a CPS worker. Im fighting in court tommarrow for just such an issue! because we took the word of a worker and now they are denying they ever gave us permission, and threw us under the bus as quick as they could to cover they're own butts!!! be careful and talk to your state agency that governs the rule on this matter. God be with you.

ok I just looked it up and here it is right from the state of Michigan website regarding "Foster care and Firearms.

R 400.1935 Firearms.

Rule 35. (1) All firearms shall be unloaded and properly stored in a secure, safe, locked environment inaccessible to children. A secure locked environment shall include a commercially available locked firearms cabinet, gun safe, trigger lock that prevents discharge, or other locking firearm device.

(2) Ammunition shall be stored in a separate locked location inaccessible to children.

(3) Firearms shall not be traded or sold on the premises while child care children are present

this is from the state of Michigan foster care website, concerning rules and guidelines. stating that "YES FOSTER PARENTS MAY HAVE FIREARMS ON THE PREMISES AS LONG AS ABOVE RULES ARE FOLLOWED."
    ShooterGranny likes this.

God forbid you should actually take the kids to the range to introduce them to a safe and fun sport eh?
    oneshot likes this.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

I would be working to change those rules if I could. Since when should you have to give up your rights and be told that you cannot have a loaded weapon in your own home. I would think that this goes against the very case (Heller) that was just decided that you can have a loaded weapon in your home. It struck down the rules that DC had that said you had to keep your firearm unloaded etc... I don't think the fact that you are a foster parrent changes that ruling etc...

And what about when you CC in your own home. Are you supposed to disarm the minute you get home etc...

Simply having a loaded firearm in a quick access safe should be sufficient protection against child access. Having to have them unloaded and ammo seperate seems to go against the Heller case. Does TX have preemption. How can a state department add additional rules/laws regarding how the guns are stored in the case of a foster parent?
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links