H&R 929 About 3/4 of the Way Done
This is the H&R as it stands now, about 3/4 of the way done.
If you remember, this is the revolver I found in my garage. It was so rusted the action wouldn't open and it would barely cock.
The H&R 929, as I found it, is located in the lower right hand portion of the picture, stripped of grips and the mainspring assembly. I didn't know if I could make it work again, but I figured that, as I'm wanting to gunsmith, I would give it a try.
After cleaning it up, making sure it was in time and overall safe to fire, and fixing the mainspring assembly with new and old parts -- the new spring from Numrich was not strong enough for reliable ignition, and so I reused the old one -- it was ready for a finish.
This is what I got after rust bluing it. I began by taking the excess rust off with steel wool, letting it soak in PB Blaster for two weeks, then using the steel wool again. I then degreased it, put it in the oven at 200 degrees to open the pores, took it our, basted it with gun oil (Outer's), and baked it again at 200 degrees. This is how it looked after wiping all excess off.
Not entirely successful, I plan on another treatment. As well, you can see some pitting of the barrel which will not go away without replacing the barrel. I do not wish to do this as the current barrel is clean inside and fairly accurate, about as much so as I remember my Ruger Super Single Six being.
I still need to replace the rear sight and sight screws. They're rust welded. As well, it shoots low. I'm not sure why that is but the front sight may get filed... or I may just drill and tap it for a red dot 'scope. At any rate, it's proving to be a fun lil' gun.