test fired used 1911-A1 this is what I found.

Test fired used 1911-A1 this is what I found.

This is a discussion on Test fired used 1911-A1 this is what I found. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a relative who is selling his SA 1911-A1. I got my hands on it today, and could tell right off the bat that ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By OD*
  • 4 Post By gasmitty

Thread: test fired used 1911-A1 this is what I found.

test fired used 1911-A1 this is what I found.

I have a relative who is selling his SA 1911-A1. I got my hands on it today, and could tell right off the bat that it was just a standard 1911-A1. It's not Milspec I'm guessing cause it doesn't have GI sights. All I know is that it's a parkerized SA 1911-A1 in .45 So I test fired it today at the range. Literally every other round FTE. The spent casing was pushed into the barrel on every FTE. So I tried loading the mag with only one round and it ejected fine. I did this at least a dozen times, and it happened only once. Also with the slide back and the loaded magazine in, I manually released the slide in an easy manner, and when the round chambered, it got jammed, not allowing the slide to seat in the loaded position. This gun is probably almost 10 yrs old, and hasn even fired in a few years. I field stripped the firearm, cleaned and lubed it prior to firing it, and everything appeared to be in good condition. I was thinking, and hoping it is a magazine problem. Although I had 2 different mags, they both are the original mags that came with the gun. And it happened with both. I don't want to invest in a new mag if I don't purchase this firearm. The 2 positives to this situation are 1) it was very accurate. 2) I think I can get it for about $350.00. If anyone has any ideas on what this problem could be, I'd be grateful to hear it. Thanks!
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Do you have access to different mags other than the ones that come with the gun?
    Maybe clean it again?
    Sounds like it might have some potential

$350 sounds like a great price to me. if money isn't tight, i say, "buy it". you can always ship it back to SA and see what they can do.

as for the problem itself: the extractor may not have the proper tension - they must be 'bent' at the correct angle. also, make sure the ejector tip hasn't broken off.

and lube the gun generously, especially the slide rails, the locking lugs on the top of the barrel and the barrel/bushing contact point. Ross Seyfried, the last man to win the World IPSC title with an 'ordinary' 5" gun, once said, "the 1911 will run dirty, but it won't run dry."

finally, don't 'baby', or 'ease' the slide when you release it to chamber a round: pull it back and let it fly forward, or hit the release firmly and quickly to let the slide fly forward.

VIP Member
    Is the relative the original owner of the gun? If so have him send it back to SA. The gun is warranted for life to the original owner, they'll fix it at no charge for him.

As sensei2 said, don't milk the slide, let it slam forward under it's own spring tension.

Another thought as well, when you cleaned the gun, did you disassemble the magazines and clean them as well as the gun?
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I'd grab it for 350.00 if I could...... ya can't go wrong
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I have a relative who is selling his SA 1911-A1. I got my hands on it today, and could tell right off the bat that it was just a standard 1911-A1. It's not Milspec I'm guessing cause it doesn't have GI sights. All I know is that it's a parkerized SA 1911-A1 in .45 So I test fired it today at the range. Literally every other round FTE. The spent casing was pushed into the barrel on every FTE. So I tried loading the mag with only one round and it ejected fine. I did this at least a dozen times, and it happened only once. Also with the slide back and the loaded magazine in, I manually released the slide in an easy manner, and when the round chambered, it got jammed, not allowing the slide to seat in the loaded position. This gun is probably almost 10 yrs old, and hasn even fired in a few years. I field stripped the firearm, cleaned and lubed it prior to firing it, and everything appeared to be in good condition. I was thinking, and hoping it is a magazine problem. Although I had 2 different mags, they both are the original mags that came with the gun. And it happened with both. I don't want to invest in a new mag if I don't purchase this firearm. The 2 positives to this situation are 1) it was very accurate. 2) I think I can get it for about $350.00. If anyone has any ideas on what this problem could be, I'd be grateful to hear it. Thanks!
    It sounds like you have an extractor problem, if it's pushing empty cases back into the chamber.
    How familiar are you with the platform?
    oneshot likes this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Never owned a 1911 or SA. The other night was the first time I've field stripped a 1911.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Buy it for $350 and give it to a competent 1911 'smith who will address the feeding problems for about $150.
    OD*, oneshot, JerryMac and 1 others like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree with the idea that it may be the extractor. It's a great price, if it's in good working order, which it currently is not. I would have your relative send it to SA for warranty repair. Nobody should have to pay out of pocket for this. It's a warranty job.

TJx
    I would try several things 1st before a gunsmith or called Springfield about it.
    If it's clean and lubed, put in a new recoil spring, try different ammo, buy a good magazine. It doesn't have to be a expensive wizbang Wilson, $15 factory Colt or Springfield 7 rounders are fine.
    As was said make sure you are not riding the slide forward when chambering a round and make sure your wrist and elbow are locked when shooting, this is a common cause of FTE's.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    Never owned a 1911 or SA. The other night was the first time I've field stripped a 1911.
    Perhaps even more of a reason to snag this one while the opportunity exists.
    IMHO, everyone should have a 1911 in their flock at one time or another. As suggested, it will probably not take too much work or money to restore this one to full functionality, after which you'll either have a firearm that you'll enjoy and keep forever, or you'll be able to turn a profit for your efforts. Keep us posted!

PS-. Mods: Thanks for the clean-up :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    For clarification, when you say SA do you mean Springfield Armory or Single Action? FWIW I'd heard that Springfield had some QC issues a few years ago. It might be a lemon.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Springfield Armory. I think I'm gonna grab it at that price. I could use a project to keep me busy. Thanks all for the positive feedback. I will keep you all posted.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Links