Sig Sauer P220 (9mm)

This is a discussion on Sig Sauer P220 (9mm) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Trying to determine the value of a Sig P220 9mm that dates back to 1976. Looks pretty good & fires with no problems. Any idea ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CLASS3NH

Thread: Sig Sauer P220 (9mm)

Sig Sauer P220 (9mm)

Trying to determine the value of a Sig P220 9mm that dates back to 1976. Looks pretty good & fires with no problems. Any idea on what it would be worth if I wanted to sell it?

Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

The P220 is the .45 ACP version.

The 9mm versions are P226, 228, 229, and a couple others.

So, which is it? Do you have a picture?

ETA: I may be wrong, snooping around it looks like some older P220s were indeed 9mm...

Does it look like this one?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I would say your best bet is to check on gun broker. Gander mountain had some a few years ago and I want to say they were running around $350. These were European police surplus so they were kind of beat.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

One for sale locally for about $650 but that means jack squat for yours. Does it have the magazine release on the side of the grip (the usual position) or on the heel of the grip?

i don't have any idea what your gun would be worth, but remember, something is "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay for it.

the following is all IMO, so feel free to accept or discount it.

the three things that contribute to value are condition, scarcity, and demand. in the case of this gun, condition and scarcity are good (there weren't many P-220's made in 9mm). the question becomes one of demand. with many other Sig models currently available in 9mm, you would probably get the most money from someone who wanted your gun to collect, as opposed to using it.

i would advise you to go slowly if you decide to sell. research GunBroker, GunsAmerica and the Blue Book(s) to try and get a feeling for what similar guns sell for. decide if your gun has any features that would command more than the average, or whether it might be worth less.

to auction or sell for a fixed price? it's hard to say. from my EBay experience, auctions can net you significantly more if you have two or more persons who want the item. but if you don't, you might end up selling it for less than you wanted to get. the safest way might be to auction it with a minimum bid of the least amount you would take, and perhaps, a "buy it now" price of what you'd like to get, or perhaps a bit more.

when i auctioned my H&K P-7, PSP (with laser and 6 magazines), it had a starting bid of $500, and a "buy it now" price of $850. someone quickly paid the "buy it now" price, making me wonder if i should have asked more. but since i got the maximum of what i thought i could get, i was happy.

again, from EBay: anything will sell if the price is low enough, and it might or might not sell if the price is too high. good luck.

Mag release is on the heel of the grip.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

The 9mm versions are P226, 228, 229, and a couple others.

So, which is it? Do you have a picture?

ETA: I may be wrong, snooping around it looks like some older P220s were indeed 9mm...

Does it look like this one?
    Back then, Browning Arms imported the Sig P220 called the Browning BDA. The guns came in 45 ACP, 9MM and 38 Super. They were of high polished blue flats with flat black on the frame and parts of the slide. They also came with a Heel Mag release. They shipped in a Black and gold box, imported thru Interarms.
    If it has the box, papers, and is about 90% (NRA Very Good to Excellent, then it would fetch about 700.00 to a collector. 500.00 to 575.00 would be a very fair price if you were buying it. They were somewhat rare, and the 38 Super is more rare
    sensei2 likes this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    Back then, Browning Arms imported the Sig P220 called the Browning BDA. The guns came in 45 ACP, 9MM and 38 Super. They were of high polished blue flats with flat black on the frame and parts of the slide. They also came with a Heel Mag release. They shipped in a Black and gold box, imported thru Interarms.
    If it has the box, papers, and is about 90% (NRA Very Good to Excellent, then it would fetch about 700.00 to a collector. 500.00 to 575.00 would be a very fair price if you were buying it. They were somewhat rare, and the 38 Super is more rare
    i believe that Sig/Browning was the first company to headspace the .38 Super on the case mouth, rather than on the semi-rim as it always had been. the original method was the main reason Supers had a reputation for erratic accuracy. i think virtually every manufacturer of Supers now uses the case mouth to headspace the cartridge.

I'll get some pics up for you fellas to get a better idea. I does not have the original box though.

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post

Correct. Early 220s were available in .45, 9mm and .38 Super.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links