Transport Question

This is a discussion on Transport Question within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Alright il try to keep it short And simple. I live in Connecticut. I have my Connecticut permit but no others. I'm driving (unarmed) to ...

Thread: Transport Question

Transport Question

Alright il try to keep it short And simple. I live in Connecticut. I have my Connecticut permit but no others. I'm driving (unarmed) to Miami for the Dolphins game sunday(ya I know its crazy). Here's my question. If I stop off in any state along the way or in Miami at a gun store and see a deal on the particular gun ive been looking for but my lgs don't have at the moment can I 1.legally do this being from out of state? And 2. Legally transport it locked up in my trunk unloaded etc. back to Connecticut? I know in Connecticut I have to fill out background checks and then 4 other papers 1 for me 1 for state 1 federal and 1 for my local pd I think but I believe I read not all states do all that. So what's the process of purchasing in say Florida and transporting back home? Thanks guys.

2. Remove Ads

You can purchase the gun and have the LGS ship it to an FFL where you live,then pick it up like they had it all the time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    You can purchase the gun and have the LGS ship it to an FFL where you live,then pick it up like they had it all the time
    Does that mean buying it there and taking it with me and bringing it home myself isn't an option? Or that it's just not the safest option? Haha

VIP Member
    If you are referring to a handgun you may purchase but it must be shipped to your local gun shop for pickup. Anytime I travel I carry business cards from my LGSs to set up a transfer legally.

Q: May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?
    A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    If you are referring to a handgun you may purchase but it must be shipped to your local gun shop for pickup. Anytime I travel I carry business cards from my LGSs to set up a transfer legally.
    ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons
    Yup. You can't walk out the door with it. You will have to have it shipped to your local FFL (local gun store). You must take possession within your home state.

VIP Member
    As the others have said, you can look as much as you want, you can't even fondle them in some of the more gun unfriendly North Eastern states. Once your south of the Mason/Dixon line you should be free to even fondle them. In theory you can purchase them, however it must be shipped to a FFL in CT for transfer to you. Also don't be surprised when they refuse to do the sale. I'd guess the majority of stores don't know the rules on out of state handgun sales.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Your bigger issue is the game. I wouldn't drive across the street to see the Dolphins, so you must be going to see the visitors play.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Your bigger issue is the game. I wouldn't drive across the street to see the Dolphins, so you must be going to see the visitors play.
    Dolphins VS Raiders....you mean someone actually likes the Raiders??

Been a Dolphins fan since the franchise came into existence.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Well, the old Raiders--the ones who used to win games.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    driving 1300 miles to support my team the DOLPHINS not the raiders haha. If ur not a fan through the bad then your not a real fan!

General Transportation Rules Coming Down I-95

• New York, New Jersey, Maryland, District of Columbia - Use Federal transportation rules.
    • Delaware - Not sure
    • Virginia - You can carry open without a permit
    • North Carolina - Federal Rules
    • South Carolina - Can keep loaded in glove compartment
    • Georgia - Not Sure
    • Florida - Can keep loaded in glove compartment or console, if you must open something to get there.

Check with Handgunlaw.us and/or Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry for complete details.
    George H. Foster
    Orlando, Florida

Links