What's your opinion of the Kahr CW9

This is a discussion on What's your opinion of the Kahr CW9 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a gun that I am getting rid of because I purchased something that fills the same niche but I enjoy shooting more, so ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sensei2

Thread: What's your opinion of the Kahr CW9

I have a gun that I am getting rid of because I purchased something that fills the same niche but I enjoy shooting more, so I put the old gun up for sale or trade. I was contacted by someone that has a Kahr CW9 that he is offering in trade. I was looking for something single stack and relatively compact, that would be easier to carry in light clothing than my SR9c. I have zero experience with Kahr firearms. How do they stack up against the other options in that general category? I was considering something like the Ruger LC9, Beretta Nano or KelTec PF9. The CW9 is a bit bigger in length and height than those two from the looks of it.

The buyer is putting cash on the trade to make the trade even, so I'm not really coming up or losing out on the trade, I just don't know anything about the quality of Kahr's products and how they compare to other guns that would fill the same role.

from following user/owner comments on this site, and being the owner of the similar, but slightly smaller CM-9, here are my conclusions:

1. some buyers/owners (like me)(i'd guess more than half, maybe as high as 75%), have been VERY satisfied with their Kahrs. others (very vocal others, and understandably so) have had problems with theirs - sometimes minor, but more often very major. (many trips back to the factory, much swearing, eventually labeling it a POS).

2. the CW-9 itself is a budget version of their P-9. the CW has some money saving changes from the P-9, but nothing crucial (IMO). it has a full grip (unless you've very large hands), and i would consider it to be a bit large for pocket carry in the front pocket of Docker-style pants.

3. IMO, Kahrs are among the better made and solid feeling small pistols. less cheap feeling than Kel Tecs, a bit better than the LC-9 and 709 Slim, and on a par, build-wise, with the Nano, the Kimber Solo, and the Sig 290. i might give the edge to the Kimber here.

4. in size it's roughly comparable to the S&W Shield, and i would put a GOOD CW-9 up against the 9mm Shield any time, though given my druthers, i'd take a Shield first.

5. Kahr factory service gets mixed reviews from owners. some have been quite happy, while others felt that Kahr didn't really know how to fix their guns properly. stories of guns needing multiple trips back and forth were common.

6. personally, i prefer Kahrs over the Ruger LC-9, the Kel Tec PF-9, the Kimber Solo, the Beretta Nano, the Sig 290, the Taurus 709 Slim, and the Diamondback DB-9. this preference is based mostly on the features of the various guns, and how they felt in my hands, but to a lesser extent, how i felt about the gun's reliability.

in short, i recommend that you shoot the gun and see how it behaves for you. good ones seem to remain good, while bad ones can sometimes be cured. if this isn't possible, ask the owner straight out if the gun's been reliable, and consider the truthfulness of his answer for yourself.
    Eagleks likes this.

VIP Member
    I agree with shooting the gun first, if that is an option. As to the CW9, my wife has a CW9 that has been trouble free. I have the CW45 and have had no problems with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

i bought my cw9 a few years ago and its been flawless,have around 500 rounds through it without any malfunctions..trigger is super smooth,and very accurate..

Unfortunately shooting one first isnt an option since last time I checked my local range didn't have one to rent, though I'm not exactly recoil sensitive, just wary of DAO triggers because of my bad experience with the Keltec P11. But from what I have read the CW9 has a noticably shorter and lighter trigger than that gun, probably due to it being striker fired instead of having a hammer.

I'm going to take a chance on it based on what I've heard here and the information and YouTube videos I've found online. I figure a higher percentage of people that have a bad experience are going to vocalize it, trying to vent their frustration, whereas a smaller percentage of happy customers are going to volunteer a positive experience without being asked for it. I read a slew of trash talk reviews of the Keltec P32 and I have been nothing less than happy with it so far.

Meeting with the guy in a few hours to make the trade and will hopefully be at the range either later today or tomorrow to put rounds through it so I can pass judgement and if all is well order an IWB holster and start carrying it.

Thanks for all the input. I really appreciate it.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Son has one.........easy to shoot, accurate out of the box and easily concealed, cost effective......I like it.

I think that the vast majority of kahr issues have been with the ultra small versions... But someone will surely refute this as I write it. I have a CW9 that is technically my wife's... We both shoot it very well. No malfunctions from it over several hundred rounds. I would describe it as boringly simple in both construction and operation. Accuracy is excellent and the trigger is very similar to a smooth double action pull of a tuned revolver... Butter smooth with very repeatable stacking. If you pick it up, ask how many rounds he has through it... If it has low round count hand cycle it a couple hundred times to help with break in as kahrs are put together TIGHT.

I've got lots of rounds through my CW9 and these days it's more likely to be carried (via paddle holster) than the J-frame snub. It's flat and light and barely noticeable, so it's on me nearly all the time when I'm home. I also have a K40 (all-steel) which doesn't get as much use, but both guns have been completely reliable. About the worst feature for me is the sharp edges on the magazine feed lips... definitely anti-personnel.

The Kahr triggers are among the best I've experienced in the DAO or Glock-style trigger. The pull isn't objectionably long (like on some Tauruses) and its break is quickly learned. The full-length grip lets me get three fingers on the grip, instead of curling the pinky under the mag, or using a mag extension.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

For the listed weight of the CW9 trigger I was very surprised at how nice the trigger is. It's so smooth you really don't notice the weight of the pull. The only issue we have had is shooting heavier grain 9mm hollow points. They were catching on the slide lock mechanism.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I love my CW9. Carries well IWB and very accurate

Well, I picked it up. Great little gun. The slide is a little heavy, but I am extremely surprised with the quality, fit and finish of the gun. Been practicing with the trigger using a snap cap. For being rated at 6.5 lbs the trigger does not feel that heavy and it is exceptionally smooth and no noticed stacking at the end of the pull, the break is very predictable, the only thing I can honestly say I dislike is that you have to fully release the trigger for it to reset. I tried it on in a cheap "universal" IWB holster that I have and it conceals almost as easily and just as comfortably as my little P32 Keltec. I will be taking the gun to the range the day after tomorrow to try it out, supposing all goes well at the range it will be my main carry.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    great CCW,smoothest big pull striker fired trigger ever
    Very accurate little gun,I upgraded to the PM9 w.night sights.
    Kahrs are very well made and I would reccomend them over many other brands

I've had one for several years now and love it. Being in the hot and sweaty south in needed something to easily carry tucked in my shorts, and it disappears! I've had zero issues with mine and fired hundreds of bulk box and reloads through it and have and no issues. The slide is tight but my 10 y.o. Son easily can operate the slide and has so since he was 9 so that tells me it isn't the deal some make it out to be. Now my FEG PPK, it is has a tight slide!

Enjoy, read up on how to break it in and enjoy it.

After the range update: took it to the range and pretty much hated every minute I was shooting it. I will say it is a good deal nicer to shoot than any of the other similarly sized 9mms I have shot like the KelTec PF9 and Ruger LC9 but still hated it. After getting a box in I was still shooting groups at 7 yards that were spread over 4-5". Picked up my SR9c immediately afterward and shot a 10 rd group that measured under 2". Given the minimal size difference I'm just going to stick with the SR9c as my main carry and I'm selling off the Kahr. I'm achieving back up gun accuracy out of something sized like a main carry. I shoot groups out of the LCP that are as tight as the CW9s groups. Not saying its a bad gun but definitely wasnt a fit for me. Too bad though. I really like the gun and wanted it to be a good fit.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

I owned a CW9 and found it to be well constructed, a great carry size, and I had no function issues through about 1K rounds. For some reason, it was just a poor fit for me and I never warmed up to the little 9. As the OP found, another reason to try to find a gun you can put some rounds through before you plunk down your cash. My small 9 is now a G26 - not as small as the CW, but small enough and I shoot it much better.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links