Pro-gun author Paxton Quigley goes ANTI

This is a discussion on Pro-gun author Paxton Quigley goes ANTI within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Do U.S. Women Need Guns? Self-Defense Expert Paxton Quigley Says Yes - The Daily Beast She is quick to say that she is not advocating ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Pro-gun author Paxton Quigley goes ANTI

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Do U.S. Women Need Guns? Self-Defense Expert Paxton Quigley Says Yes - The Daily Beast

She is quick to say that she is not advocating assault weapons. Following the recent tragedy in Colorado, in which the shooter reportedly bought 6,000 rounds of ammunition on the Internet, then used weapons including a shotgun, a pistol, and a semiautomatic rifle to kill 12 people and injure dozens more, Quigley says she believes assault weapons should be banned and that ammunition should not be sold online.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Hmmmmm....yep. If ammo and assault weapons arent sold online then criminals wont attack or rape. Just like in the 90s.

I think she wanted some attention.
    Badey likes this.

As we all know, this murderer didn't use 6000rds nor so-called "assault" weapons, nor would purchase of ammunition at different stores have altered his ability to do what he did. It simply would have meant a few more receipts.

Banning such things won't stop diddly.

IMO, about the only way to keep weaponry from passing across a store's counter to a criminal is to know the person's a criminal in advance. And even then, it's hardly foolproof. Even super-duper security checks, pre-validation or registration type schemes wouldn't have caught this guy, as he wasn't a violent felon at the time of his purchases.

About the only thing that will stop such off-the-radar people in advance of committing any crime is to do just that: to erase them from our midst in advance of being criminal. That'll go down well. About as sure a way to destroy liberty as I can think of.
    beararms likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well I have to add that I think the thread title is a little misleading. Ms. Quigley hasn't gone "anti"; she's making the same mistake that seems to be so common with a large number of firearms 'advocates'. She believes her idea of 'limits' is acceptable, because those limits don't interfere with the 'rights' that she finds important. Bill Ruger, Jim Zumbo and, most recently, Jerry Tsai have all fallen for the same dumb idea that laws will stop criminals, and all of them should have known better, given their place in the industry.

It's a juvenile and misguided mentality, IMO, because as most 2A avocates will tell you, laws only apply to law abiding people. So when the making assault weapons illegal doesn't actually stop the criminal element, then new, even more restrictive laws, will have to be created; which will have the same effect of only punishing the folks that weren't a threat to being with.
    ccw9mm, Bad Bob, FTG-05 and 5 others like this.

In her books that I've read she advocates women to have weapons at home but then becomes very hesitant that they should carry them citing concerns of training and safety. So, I'm not surprised that she comes to the wrong conclusions with so called assult weapons either.

Btw, I do think that this position is definitely anti 2a. It is misguided but is not to be excused by people within the 2a civil rights movement. They should know better and we all have the obligation to make sure in no uncertain terms that their incorrect positions are not to be tolerated. If she can't understand that an ar15 would make a perfect home defence gun for someone other than her, she obviously doesn't understand the second amendment.

I am completely unimpressed with this author. She is not a friend to freedom, and she should keep her foolish opinions to herself. I can't stand people who want to see things banned for no other reason than because they don't personally see the "need" for them.

VIP Member
    This post in deleted.
    Last edited by Mike1956; September 15th, 2012 at 06:16 PM. Reason: The thread title has been corrected.
    Lish likes this.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Let's have a "Point-Counterpoint" debate between Ms. Quigley and our own Limatunes.
    msgt/ret and l1a1 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Moderator
    Just another author that doesnt get it. They are a dime a dozen.

I guess shes OK with owning a Saturday Night Special for self defense, but "assault" weapons shouldnt be owned by the common folk.

Typical.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It’s also why, she argues, women need a handgun. “There just aren’t many good weapons to protect yourself other than a handgun. If you want to stop an attacker, you have to think about the best means of stopping an attacker.”

This is just ignorant.
    Last edited by nedrgr21; September 15th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

GH
    I still can't see the difference between an "assault rifle" & a good sporting rifle. Pistol grip? bayonet lug? Able to hold hi-cap magazines? Other than the fact that most military assault rifles are selective fire, semi- to full auto, & most sporting rifles can take a hi-cap mag there isn't a lot of difference. I don't know if I'd prefer to get killed by a fully auto M-4 or a sportarized Springfield bolt action '03 with a scope or a deer hunter or Soldier. In my experience a deliberately aimed scoped rifle can be just as deadly as a spray & pray full auto assault rifle. Deadlier.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Senior Moderator
    An "assault rifle" is anything that the anti's dont like.

I've seen the news media call a Win 30-30 an "assault rifle" because it could fire more than one shot.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

JD
    Administrator
    I retract my previous statement, total brain fart. first time I feel great about being wrong.

Sent via Tapatalk, and still using real words.

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Pax said that? I think I will have to go over to TFL and see what's going on...
    Hakkaa päälle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links