An Old Revolver With Old Ammo: The H&R 629 and Federal Champion Target Ammo

This is a discussion on An Old Revolver With Old Ammo: The H&R 629 and Federal Champion Target Ammo within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; An Old Revolver With Old Ammo: The H&R 929 and Federal Champion Target Ammo After fixing the H&R and filing the sights to be on ...

Thread: An Old Revolver With Old Ammo: The H&R 629 and Federal Champion Target Ammo

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

An Old Revolver With Old Ammo: The H&R 929 and Federal Champion Target Ammo

After fixing the H&R and filing the sights to be on windage-wise, I REALLY started shooting the thing. Problem is, most of it was plinking with not much patience for extreme accuracy.

I decided to settle down and do a range report on this. This was a first for me; both the revolver and the ammo used were older than I. I had never shot such a combination before. Both, as far as I can tell, come from the '60s and '70s.

I cleaned the H&R well before taking it out.

The sky was overcast and it had been raining, with the temp standing around 58*F.

I set up a target 15 strides (about 15 yds) away, on a slight downgrade. I used my truck hood to lean over, but did not rest the revolver on anything.

Here is the H&R 629 right after cleaning and the ammo used in the test. As the rear sight is stuck in place I had to "adjust" it with a file. New parts are currently out of stock. I effectively had a lot of light on either side of the front sight.

This is the target and impact points. The "+" indicates my aiming point. It looks like I AM going to have to file down the front sight a bit. All shots were fired single action for two reasons: First, I wanted to see what this handgun was capable of with no DA interference. Second, it's just what's most comfortable for me. It feels like a single action and I therefore treat it as such.

I do not foresee myself being rid of this revolver any time soon. It's a good practice revolver for gunsmithing and parts are cheap. Additionally, the trigger actually feels good in both SA and DA.

Josh <><
    Last edited by Joshua M. Smith; September 28th, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Links