.223 to .22 conversion kits

This is a discussion on .223 to .22 conversion kits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at about 75 yards. Saw it with my own eyes. Wish I hadn't, two guys from work have not stopped giving me S ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .223 to .22 conversion kits

I was at about 75 yards. Saw it with my own eyes. Wish I hadn't, two guys from work have not stopped giving me S about it since, because they saw it too.

2. Remove Ads

been shooting one for over 2 years, they take some break in, well at least mine did, but they are very quiet, so quiet you can hear the action cycle!!! and recoil is non existent. well worth the money in my opinion!!
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by ping.brady View Post
    Drop in bolts are out there. CMMG has a good reputation for these. I also highly recommend paying extra for a stainless one, they run smoother. I've put 600+ down with the conversion and haven't had a single issue. The blued or other finishes have history of needing break-in and often cleaning to run without hiccup.

Search the net for combo kits with a mag (they also have combos with three mags)

9-60130 - CMMG AR-15 .22 LR Conversion Kit with Three 26 Round Magazines

The magazines are pretty tough to get in and out until you wear them in. They have plastic tabs to fit tight so there is less wiggle room and the tiny .22 can feed well. Most of the new CMMG mags also have an extra lip to hold the bolt open on last round (early ones did not).

If you have a piston AR, don't waste your time and get a .22 gas upper. Some of the newer conversions 'claim' to work with piston ARs, but you have to remove the piston and I have yet seen anyone able to cycle them somewhat reliably. Plus then you muck up your piston tube and could affect 5.56/.223 cycle later on. Not worth it for piston AR, hence spend a few more bucks and get a .22 upper. For gas ARs, the conversion kit works very well.

1+++
    Only other comment, worth every penny, best money I've spent.
    Donnie D

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Oh wow I want one of those. I just wish I had the money to get it. I need a better paying job. I hear the CIA director position is open, wonder how much they pay.

Man, I am a dope. I got a PM saying "WHAT did you see", then I re-read this, DUH. OK, so when I shot my .22lr conversion kit through my AR, I took close to 100 shots at 75 yards, had a blast. Video I watched said "after shooting .22lr, run 5-10 rounds of .223 through it, to blow out any lead shavings that might be in your gas tube. So I did. And the actual "what I saw with my own eyes" was a birdshot pattern on the target. All those lead shavings went down-range and made a mess of the target. The guys who saw it have not stopped giving me S about my "Blunderbuss AR".

I got a Ceiner yrs ago, have put many a 550 brick from walmart through it....can't even begin to come up with a round count. Few duds here and there but mostly all good. This kit has been in 1/9-1/7 twists.

Uppers from Olympic Arms, Noveske, PSA, and Colt. 16- full 20. Non stainless kit. As far as accuracy? Pretty darn good inside 80yrds...then starts to open up pretty good futher out.

Haven't noticed any thing about the "issues" with a 1/7 twist useing the 36gr. HP copper

A video I did a little while ago showing my conversion working.

I have a Spikes Tactical for my LE6920 with 1:7 twist, it’s plated and doesn’t require much if any lube. It took a little tuning at first but has proven reliable and plenty accurate out to 50 yards for drills etc. After about a year of using it, I grew tired of the cleaning regime and popping off a couple .223 rounds to clean the gas system, so I bought a S&W MP15-22. I’ve still got the Spikes, and use it as a loaner to folks that come out to my place to shoot.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I remember using those way back in my Air Force days. They worked "reasonably" well. At least until the crud built up.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I remember using those way back in my Air Force days. They worked "reasonably" well. At least until the crud built up.
    I’ve noticed certain ammo cruds it up faster than others. Just like anything else.
    “Qui Desiderat Pacem Praeparet Bellum” – “Pray For Peace, Prepare For War”

Yeah, Doubletap....it's best to use copper plated bullets and not lead nose.

I have a conversion kit for my m4. I also take and run a mag of 223 through it after the 22lr. It does clear the gas block.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links