.223 to .22 conversion kits

This is a discussion on .223 to .22 conversion kits within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am looking at a kit (drop in bolt and three magazines) that supposedly converts you AR to a .22. It would sure save some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: .223 to .22 conversion kits

I am looking at a kit (drop in bolt and three magazines) that supposedly converts you AR to a .22.

It would sure save some money when practicing. (Aftera LOT of practice, LOL)

Do any of you have or know of any reports on these?

Any information welcomed.

Thanks

Drop in bolts are out there. CMMG has a good reputation for these. I also highly recommend paying extra for a stainless one, they run smoother. I've put 600+ down with the conversion and haven't had a single issue. The blued or other finishes have history of needing break-in and often cleaning to run without hiccup.

Search the net for combo kits with a mag (they also have combos with three mags)

9-60130 - CMMG AR-15 .22 LR Conversion Kit with Three 26 Round Magazines

The magazines are pretty tough to get in and out until you wear them in. They have plastic tabs to fit tight so there is less wiggle room and the tiny .22 can feed well. Most of the new CMMG mags also have an extra lip to hold the bolt open on last round (early ones did not).

If you have a piston AR, don't waste your time and get a .22 gas upper. Some of the newer conversions 'claim' to work with piston ARs, but you have to remove the piston and I have yet seen anyone able to cycle them somewhat reliably. Plus then you muck up your piston tube and could affect 5.56/.223 cycle later on. Not worth it for piston AR, hence spend a few more bucks and get a .22 upper. For gas ARs, the conversion kit works very well.

Thanks. I believe that I will go ahead and purchase same.

I appreciate your advice.

ping.brady is dead on, I have the non-stainless one, and it needs cleaned (I just clean it every time I use it) and well lubed to work well. If it gets dry, I start getting FTE/FTF problems. If it's nicely lubed, it runs like a champ. Also, a bit of advice when using it, once you put your 100-1000 rounds through it, pull the kit, and put about 5 .223 rounds through it, to blow out your gas tube. I saw this on a video on cleaning ARs, and my boss mentioned "it will put lead shavings in your gas tube". Advice was to simply put 5 .223 rounds through it to blow it out, and once I did, wow I realized "yeah, lead shavings do build up". The targets looked like I shot them with a .410 shotgun from all the shavings being thrown down range.

Good to know....thanks for sharing.

I have the Ciener blued,been shooting thousands of rounds thru it and besides lubing the rails I have never cleaned it,just put about 300 rounds thru it sunday and with my 10.5" barrelled with 5.5" flash hider gun using A2 sights at 25 yards I was hitting chips from clays other people had shot up earlier.
    As far as mags I use these,the Gen 2's are on sale for $10,they were around $26 but we were running them in a FA gun that went thru a mag in about 2 seconds,the polymer feed lips cracked after about 10,000 rounds,the newer ones have steel feed lips and cost more money.I would probably buy a kit with one mag and then buy several of the $10 26 round gen 2 mags
    AR15.22 25 & 26 ROUND MAGS
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by BaldSasq View Post
    ping.brady is dead on, I have the non-stainless one, and it needs cleaned (I just clean it every time I use it) and well lubed to work well. If it gets dry, I start getting FTE/FTF problems. If it's nicely lubed, it runs like a champ. Also, a bit of advice when using it, once you put your 100-1000 rounds through it, pull the kit, and put about 5 .223 rounds through it, to blow out your gas tube. I saw this on a video on cleaning ARs, and my boss mentioned "it will put lead shavings in your gas tube". Advice was to simply put 5 .223 rounds through it to blow it out, and once I did, wow I realized "yeah, lead shavings do build up". The targets looked like I shot them with a .410 shotgun from all the shavings being thrown down range.
    Really? At what range are you shooting.I've never seen anything like your claiming and I been shooting a conversion kit for over 10 years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There can be issues with rifling twist rate and lead build up. About every manufaturer advises to clean thoroughly before going back to .223/5.56.

My "you might be a gun nut if" story...
    I was working in a gun shop in the early 1990s and I found a 30round Ceiner conversion mag in the $5 junk pile one day. I knew Ceiner charges some obscene amount for those so I bought it, or the boss gave it to me. I then went and bought a Colt AR and a Ceiner conversion kit (with the 10round mag) just so I could use my new 30round mag. I'm a gun nut but I've been shooting it ever since and couldn't be happier.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I ran a cmmg unit in my old Bushy, a 1:9 twist. However, do not run one in a 1:7 barrel, it will tear up the crown and flash suppressor.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I ran a cmmg unit in my old Bushy, a 1:9 twist. However, do not run one in a 1:7 barrel, it will tear up the crown and flash suppressor.
    Can you expalin what you mean by "tear up" - ? I could understand "gunk up," but I fail to see how a soft lead bullet at half the velocity of the jacketed standard round (.223) will "tear up" alloy steel.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Dating myself a bit but we used them for a bit in the Army on in door ranges . They worked for the most part and of course we cleaned them well after every use so there were no problems with that. Accuracy was not prefect but it did not need to be. When we had them out it was to train head quarters soldiers before they went to the range. Kind of catch up training.
    I enjoyed burning round up in them, but I always did enjoy shooting anything someone else was paying for.
    Indoor ranges were shut down over time EPA issues and the like then the conversions kits faded away we never saw them again.
    This maybe of interest CombatRifle.net - Colt AR-15,AR15,M16 22 Long Rifle Conversion Kit - Upper Reciever - Reviews - Sources and Information to you.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Can you expalin what you mean by "tear up" - ? I could understand "gunk up," but I fail to see how a soft lead bullet at half the velocity of the jacketed standard round (.223) will "tear up" alloy steel.
    Cannot speak with personal experience, but the topic has been heavily covered on some of the AR forums and that was the consensus warning. I should have stated it as a warning I had heard as opposed to a fact. The twist rate allegedly is not enough to stabilize the bullet and it is tumbling immediately out of the barrel damaging the suppressor. Again, didn't try it in my new rifle.

Also, CMMG reports there are some problems with notched hammers, I never had an issue in my Bushmaster which has a notched hammer. They also advise that the conversions can be picky about ammo, I ran Federal bulk no problem.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    I was thinking about a conversion kit, but as the price went over $200, I now find myself eyeballing this:

Mossberg Tactical 22LR Adjustable Stock 25rd Magazine 37204 $230.00 SHIPS FREE

What say ya'll?
    kapnketel likes this.

I use a cmmg kit with my bushmaster and I could not be happier
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

"I could not be happier"....Amen Super J!

Unfortunately, the original Mossberg hammer was getting in the way of the drop in kit so I had to purchase a replacement.

Works great now! Wife bought me the kit and three 25 round mags. Lot's of fun, small price for ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links