Smith and Wesson Model 27-2

This is a discussion on Smith and Wesson Model 27-2 within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; What might you pay for it in your neck of the woods used? I saw one today for $515 approximately and it didn't seem like ...

Thread: Smith and Wesson Model 27-2

Smith and Wesson Model 27-2

What might you pay for it in your neck of the woods used? I saw one today for $515 approximately and it didn't seem like a bad price, but I don't have the money right now, sadly. I wish I did because I'm sure someone out there will grab it very soon.

It's a monster gun! I've held the SP101 and the S&W 686 and they were average size to me, but the 27 is a huge gun!

2. Remove Ads

You bet it is - it's an N-frame, the biggest size S&W made until the .500 magnum came along. The 686 is an L frame, just a little bigger really than the K.

If it's a clean gun without rust and just normal wear (i.e., doesn't look like it's been used to hammer fence posts), that's a pretty reasonable price.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You bet it is - it's a N-frame, the biggest size S&W made until the .500 magnum came along. The 686 is an L frame, just a little bigger really than the K.

If it's a clean gun without rust and just normal wear (i.e., doesn't look like it's been used to hammer fence posts), that's a pretty reasonable price.
    Thanks. I still want a 686 but even used they seem to all be over 600 dollars.

Low 500 for this beauty? I'll go for it all day. I bought from the seller previously and he seems to only take in good stuff. I just wish I had the money, I would push my 9mm/.22 wants back for it in a heartbeat if I had the money.

I bought my Model 28 a long time ago ... when the "wonder nines" were coming on the scene. The Model 28 was the workingman's gun. The local cop on the beat who wanted a .357, at a working man's salary. Mine has more holster wear than use. Mine seems to prefer lead so I chamber the " FBI Load" ... 158 grn lead, SJHP @ + P velocities.

Quote Originally Posted by thedogfather View Post
    I bought my Model 28 a long time ago ... when the "wonder nines" were coming on the scene. The Model 28 was the workingman's gun. The local cop on the beat who wanted a .357, at a working man's salary. Mine has more holster wear than use. Mine seems to prefer lead so I chamber the " FBI Load" ... 158 grn lead, SJHP @ + P velocities.
    What would you sell your 28 at if you were to sell it? I may spring for a 28 if it's much cheaper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveJohnson View Post
    What would you sell your 28 at if you were to sell it? I may spring for a 28 if it's much cheaper.
    The S&W Model 27 was the Cadillac whereas the Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) was the Chevy. The Model 27 has a much prettier finish than the Model 28 but both are some of the finest examples of revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. Given the choice I would take the 27 instead of the 28 just for the appearance.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The N-framed M-27 was the mac-daddy until the advent of the X-framed .500 Mag and Governor. Enjoy....I love my 27 almost as much as Dirty Harry!
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    The S&W Model 27 was the Cadillac whereas the Model 28 (Highway Patrolman) was the Chevy. The Model 27 has a much prettier finish than the Model 28 but both are some of the finest examples of revolvers made by Smith & Wesson. Given the choice I would take the 27 instead of the 28 just for the appearance.
    I would rather the 27 as well, but if I find a much cheaper 28 i'll go with it.

It makes me want to put the 27 on layaway!

Smith & Wesson revolvers are hot right now. In a local gun auction in my area 2 weeks ago, a S&W 27-2 sold for a healthy $725. So if you can grab this one at 500 and change...Do it! There were quite a few Smith revolvers at this auction and they went for impressive prices. A nice large N frame in .41 mag from 1981 sold for a stunning $2050. Check the page for Horst Auctions in Ephrata Pa. for the results of the Sept 8th gun auction. I think you would be surprised at what these revolvers sold for.

Links