Stainless Steel 1911 Colt or remington?

This is a discussion on Stainless Steel 1911 Colt or remington? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hello, New to the thread & just bought my first Colt 1911 Govt Mdl Tier III Anniversary. I hope I got a fair deal. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Stainless Steel 1911 Colt or remington?

Stainless Steel 1911 Colt or remington?

Hello,
    New to the thread & just bought my first Colt 1911 Govt Mdl Tier III Anniversary. I hope I got a fair deal. I bought it from Champion Firearms in TX & paid $1,029.00 plus $20.00 shipping to my FFL dlr. Anyway, I am gonna pick it up tomorrow.
    I have a few questions & need some opinions if any of you don't mind. I would also liketo buy a stainless steel Colt 1911 Govt mdl or a Remington 1911 R1 SS when I pick up my Tier III colt. I would CC the Stainless 1911 & turn the Anniv Colt Tier III into a safe queen & not carry it.

Which 1911 is recommended? I have read many great reviews on both guns. The cost difference is not much. The R1 is 649.00 & the Colt is 799.00.

Last question: I like the look of polished stainless rather than the dull finish on these pistols. Is it possible for me to buff them w/ mothers mag and alum polish of something similar? I don't want to hurt the value of the gun either.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated!

Regards, Dave

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    I'd always vote Colt in this contest. And just a cleaning and wipe down with a silicone rag should do you.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

I'd get the Colt if for no other reason than because Remington is still pretty new to the 1911 game. Plus I love my Colt 1911. That being said, I haven't fired a Remington 1911 yet. However, I haven't encountered many negative reviews of the Remington, so I certainly don't mean to bad-mouth that gun or imply it's a bad choice. Nevertheless, if it was my money, it would be a no-brainer....Colt.

NMB
    My R1 has been flawless, granted its not the SS, buts I have zero regrets with mine.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    Here is what I would buy, especially now that you have bought a colt, I'd get and carry this............

Sig Sauer 1911 DESERT 45 ACP 2 Mags XT Grips NIB : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Here is a link for one in Tn with a buy it now for $900
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=305832576

Or the shorter barrel(4.2 in) Scorpion carry.

Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion Carry 45 ACP Night Sights : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com
    Attached Images
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

since SIG really doesn't make a 1911, I'd go with a Springfield Armory Loaded model like this.......

mook012 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Springfield is very nice. I have handled all 3 pistols. I have narrowed it down a colt vs a remington R1. I like the classic Government models over the newer look. as anyone buffed a stainless colt/R1 to a high gloss? How does it look?

As others may chime in, get the Colt, not the clone.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Colt. 'nuff said.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Administrator
    I like the look of polished stainless rather than the dull finish on these pistols.

Is it possible for me to buff them w/ mothers mag and alum polish of something similar? - No.
    Or rather it would take you about a year of rubbing.

In order to do a really proper bright finish on Stainless you would need to start out with Tripoli cutting compound on a stitched wheel and finish with Green Rouge on a soft muslin buff.
    Then you can finish up with Simichrome Polish, Flitz. or other fine hand polish.
    A good deal of polishing experience is necessary or you will either send your slide or frame flying through the air when you catch it on the wheel or you'll end up rounding off edges that need to stay crisp.
    The only other really effective way to get blasted Stainless mirror bright is to do it by hand starting with a medium to fine 3M "Wet or Dry" Silicon Carbide paper and working down to about 1000 or 1500 grit and doing each individual surface separately - keeping the flats flat - the curves curved and the edges crisp.
    It is possible to do it (and make a nice job of it) if you're willing to take your time.

"I don't want to hurt the value of the gun either." -
    Then don't do it because you will. Used 1911 buyers want them as close to factory pristine as possible and/or if custom work or tuning or modifications have been made to the firearm...they will want to know what professional custom gunsmith performed the work.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like alot of work but it will be worth it.

I have been leaning colt all the way.

back in the day when I worked a gun counter part-time, I compared all the Colt 1911's against the Springfield 1911's that we had in stock. Sorry to say that the Springfields kicked the Colts in pretty much all categories. Fit and finish on the Colts was no where near the Springfields. I understand that Colt has changed their quality control significantly since those days, but old memories just never seem to die. Won't ever own a Colt (you want me to pay $1,000 for this?...yeah, right).....have five Springfield 1911's.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

The Remington R1 Enhanced is more of an apples to apples comparison with a Colt.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

VIP Member
    My vote is for the Colt. As to the finish, I'd leave it as is.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links