Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner - Page 2

Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner

This is a discussion on Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Be careful with simple green on aluminum it can pit the metal. Rich...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner

Be careful with simple green on aluminum it can pit the metal.

Rich
    OldVet likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    ^^^That^^^
    The aviation industry stopped using SG for that reason.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    You could try this if you wanted to stick with the Simple Green but were worried about the aluminum pitting.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    I just throw my Glocks in the dishwasher.
    You have an ultrasonic dishwasher?
    Poseidon likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I do, I call her my wife...

I can only assume you oil everything afterward? Do you still run a brass brush through the barrel?
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    After seeing this thread I went and bought the HF 2.5 ultrasonic cleaner and used it on my duck gun. I put my trigger group, and all the parts to the bolt in there and cleaned them. It was amazing. Especially the trigger group. I just took and sprayed it out with hot water to flush most of the filth out and put it back through, then re lubed. I got a ton of salt, sand, and unburt powder grit out by using this method that otherwise would have not been able to be removed. Thanks for the idea.
    Great, glad I could help you out. What did you use for a cleaner? As said later in this post, do be careful around aluminum with SG or get the aircraft safe formula (you can get it online at places like Grainger and other places, but it will probably hard to find at a local hardware store)

Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    I can only assume you oil everything afterward? Do you still run a brass brush through the barrel?
    Not sure who your asking. As for myself yes I gave almost everything a very light rub down of ballistol. I don't remember if i ran a naked brass brush or not I don't think I did. But i did use a brush with a patch wrapped around it, it was still plenty 'rough' enough to have caught any fouling.

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    dat wazz a joke....but I probably could if I ever got that lazy.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by talkglock View Post
    ...calling Glock and speaking with one
    of the service technicians about what my plans were for it. The response was as long as
    the cleaning solution didn't contain any ammonia it would be fine for cleaning the
    gun with.
    Glock should have told you about the Firing Pin Chamber Liner (not to be confuse with the firing pin spacer sleeve).

Rather than taking the time and expense to polish smooth the inside of the Firing Pin Chamber, Glock inserts a Plastic Liner. This is necessary because without a smooth surface the Firing Pin Spring Cups would quickly wear out. Under normal circumstances the liner is never removed. It rarely wears out and the tool needed to remove it also destroys it. Ultrasonically cleaning the Slide is the exception. Ultrasonic cleaners have been known to vibrate the liner right out. There have been reports of guns being reassembled with the liner still sitting in the bottom of the cleaner. (I guess they slip through the wire basket.)

The good news is these liners will be undamaged and can be reinstalled in the chamber. I've not seen any mention of the liner being partially unseated, but this is something I would think you'd want to check for. You can reinstall and/or check for proper placement with a CHANNEL LINER TOOL for GLOCK® from Brownells or GlockStore.com's Channel Liner Installation Tool.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links