Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner

This is a discussion on Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Subject: Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm) Purchase Date: 5/2012 (new) Round count: 1,019 Cleaning Solution: Simple Green (diluted 1:10) (warmed) Cleaning Method: Ultrasonic Cleaner (Harbor Freight ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner

Cleaned the Glock in the Ultrasonic Cleaner

Subject: Glock 26 (subcompact 9mm)
    Purchase Date: 5/2012 (new)
    Round count: 1,019
    Cleaning Solution: Simple Green (diluted 1:10) (warmed)
    Cleaning Method: Ultrasonic Cleaner (Harbor Freight model) http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ul...95563.html
    This is the same unit that Lyman and a couple others have their name on.
    Lube: Ballistol

After going to the range recently with a couple friends and putting 400 rounds through it (dirty TulAmmo),
    I passed the 1,000 round mark on my G26. So I decided it was time for a full strip
    down cleaning. I picked the TulAmmo to make the gun as dirty as possible since it has a reputation for being one of the
    dirtier rounds out there. Normally I shoot either Winchester White Box or the Federal Champion through it.

I purchased the U/S machine a couple weeks ago after calling Glock and speaking with one
    of the service technicians about what my plans were for it. The response was as long as
    the cleaning solution didn't contain any ammonia it would be fine for cleaning the
    gun with.

I've cleaned the barrel, recoil spring and frame twice using this method and was just
    amazed at how well it did. Only thing I did differently this time was to completely
    disassemble the slide and clean that as well.

I broke the gun down into 3 parts (I forgot to put the slide in with the slide parts so
    it got cleaned separately).

Each group of parts was placed in the cleaner for 8 minutes then rinsed in running water,
    water shaken off, photographed and carefully dried (taking pictures of the patches after.

Pictures of the before and after are below, I didn't photograph the frame as it probably
    wouldn't have shown anything.

Dirty barrel

Clean barrel

Barrel after two patches run through it. Third one I ran a patch with Ballistol on it and it came out clean.

Next series of pictures show the firing pin and firing pin channel safety plunger before and afters.

This last picture shows the only carbon that was found in the slide after cleaning and it all came from the hole were the firing pin safety plunger sits.

Over all I'm very happy with the end results both from how much time it saved and how well it cleaned everything.
    mr.stuart and marcclarke like this.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I have the same cleaner, and I have enjoyed similar results. Great for the BCG on an AR.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Nicely done!

Would you believe... My boss threw out a lab quality sonicator... I just heard about it yesterday... It's long gone... it worked perfectly, even had a heater in it to warm the water/solution and timer... about a $500.00 machine... nobody took it home either...

ARGGGGG corporate nitwits... I could'a got a pass to take it out... Rubes...

But anyway, Nice job the HF unit did... I will look into that. Thanks for the detailed post.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I want one of those lil' sonic sinks!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Noticed a range I went to had "sonic" cleaning for $35.00. Price aside yours looks like it did a fantastic job!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    'Piqued curiosity here. You're link is gone. What brand/model are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    'Piqued curiosity here. You're link is gone. What brand/model are you using?
    Yeah that is odd it was working yesterday. But any way, go to harbor freight's web site and do search for ultrasonic. It is the bigger of the two units. If you can locate a 20% off coupon you can use that along with the 'sale' price. I got mine in the end for like $60 something.
    WHEC724 likes this.

Nice it sure saves time if you have to clean multiple guns.

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    Would you believe... My boss threw out a lab quality sonicator... I just heard about it yesterday... It's long gone... it worked perfectly, even had a heater in it to warm the water/solution and timer... about a $500.00 machine... nobody took it home either...

ARGGGGG corporate nitwits... I could'a got a pass to take it out... Rubes...

But anyway, Nice job the HF unit did... I will look into that. Thanks for the detailed post.
    Wow that would have been a great unit to have!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Noticed a range I went to had "sonic" cleaning for $35.00. Price aside yours looks like it did a fantastic job!
    Buy your own unit instead of giving the range your money, It will pay for it self many times over. You can clean lots of other items in it when your not using it on the guns.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    This the number he had - Ultrasonic Cleaner - 2.5 Liter

Awesome pics - thanks for sharing!

After seeing this thread I went and bought the HF 2.5 ultrasonic cleaner and used it on my duck gun. I put my trigger group, and all the parts to the bolt in there and cleaned them. It was amazing. Especially the trigger group. I just took and sprayed it out with hot water to flush most of the filth out and put it back through, then re lubed. I got a ton of salt, sand, and unburt powder grit out by using this method that otherwise would have not been able to be removed. Thanks for the idea.

I just throw my Glocks in the dishwasher.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links