Need a little help re: laser sights

This is a discussion on Need a little help re: laser sights within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Those who got 'em... what I need is the diameter of the projected laser at say 3 feet... and 10 feet. Here's a pic of ...

Thread: Need a little help re: laser sights

Those who got 'em... what I need is the diameter of the projected laser at say 3 feet... and 10 feet.

Here's a pic of a BG supposedly lit up by a LEO laser, from Police Magazine, this article

PO0103laser-4-2.jpg

That's helpful... but I need the size of the actual projected red dot image and if it has the "halo" around the central dot. and I need it at 3' and 10', like I said.

For this project: The head shot which is in the off topic area.

I don't have laser sights on my handguns a laser pointer might be similar, but I'd like it to be accurate. I know I could probably see this information on a website for the various products... but I was hoping that someone would do an actual "in the field" demonstration... I don't need pix. all I need is a reasonably accurate measurement of the dot and it's halo...

can somebody help?

Thanks,
    Charlie

PS none of the laser sight manufacturers seem to have this info... so I'm outa luck there
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    At point blank, my CT dot is 1/8". At 50', the company advertises 1/2". Trig should yield an accurate size at ranges in between.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    At point blank, my CT dot is 1/8". At 50', the company advertises 1/2". Trig should yield an accurate size at ranges in between.
    halo?

is it bright in the center and have a ring of lighter projection at some distance other than point blank?
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    halo?

is it bright in the center and have a ring of lighter projection at some distance other than point blank?
    Halo occurs at all distances, but is more pronounced on reflective objects. Overall light also increases or decreases the effect.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Halo occurs at all distances, but is more pronounced on reflective objects. Overall light also increases or decreases the effect.
    Which is kinda why I wanted the rings measured... at certain distances... I can simulate reality better.

And that's what I'm trying for... though I don't think I'll do much more to increase the realism of "Mook" himself, I am trying to portray actual scenarios with targeting and angles to show the effectiveness of shots on the head... Am looking at comparative ballistic gelatine shots with various calibers and rounds... can overlay onto Mook from several angles... or even simulate the wound channel... without the overlay.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Sponsored Links