Placing black tape over serial number- Federal violation??? - Page 3

Placing black tape over serial number- Federal violation???

This is a discussion on Placing black tape over serial number- Federal violation??? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by linuss Luckily the SN of my handgun is actually inside the grip visible through a little window, so if I tape it, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Placing black tape over serial number- Federal violation???

Quote Originally Posted by linuss View Post
    Luckily the SN of my handgun is actually inside the grip visible through a little window, so if I tape it, there is no way they're taking off the tape without taking about the gun.

What's the harm in letting the police randomly search your home when they want? Same idea.
    Me walking down the street with a visible weapon and being asked about it is different than my home being searched.

Everyone is free to handle their situations as they see fit, I just know that I have seen WAY too many youtube videos of people OCing just to start drama with LEOs and it seems silly.

Quote Originally Posted by STLRampage View Post
    Me walking down the street with a visible weapon and being asked about it is different than my home being searched.

Everyone is free to handle their situations as they see fit, I just know that I have seen WAY too many youtube videos of people OCing just to start drama with LEOs and it seems silly.
    Being in public vs the confines of your own home may be different but being a responsible citizen vs some fool with a camera is also different. I dont OC and yes I do comply with an officer who is questioning me but if there is no reason for it, being a good guy dosnt make it acceptable.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    First they would not care they would just pull the tape off.
    What is the harm simple once they run the number and your name there will be a record of both for ever.
    In Wisconsin when you buy a fire arm there is a back round check but no registration of the fire arm. Office doing this is a back door way of making a record of who has what fire arm.
    They do the same thing at some indoor ranges, the name and weapon serial number of everyone that uses the range is turn over to the local police chief.
    Face to face sale, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please excuse typos.

When I buy a gun in a Missouri they do the same background check so my name and serial are already on file.
    UM; NEGATIVE on that. The background check is through NICS and at no time is ANY firearm identifying given and NICS infr is supposed to be destroyed; no state check is done and the ONLY record of what you bought is kept by the dealer and not transmitted to any governmental entity. There is absolutely, positively no way in **** there is any governmentally accessible data base of file showing what guns you have purchased.

I worked at a gun shop and was responsible for all paperwork and record keeping.

Would you like to know how a trace on a firearm found at a crime scene is traced?
    1} BATFE calls the manufacturer to find out what distributor it was shipped to.
    2} BATFE calls the distributor to find out what dealer it was shipped to.
    3}BATFE calls the dealer to find out who it was sold to
    4} Dealer has 48 hours to go through their records to find the purchaser and call BATF back.

Originally Posted by Smitty901
    First they would not care they would just pull the tape off.
    Smitty-
    That is exactly what (if ever in that situation) I expect them to do; the tape will not prevent running the SN if that is their intent.

What it DOES DO is establish a deprivation of rights under (I hold) Arizona v Hicks and constitute an unlawful search and give me one more nail for their coffin.

Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    UM; NEGATIVE on that. The background check is through NICS and at no time is ANY firearm identifying given and NICS infr is supposed to be destroyed; no state check is done and the ONLY record of what you bought is kept by the dealer and not transmitted to any governmental entity. There is absolutely, positively no way in **** there is any governmentally accessible data base of file showing what guns you have purchased.

I worked at a gun shop and was responsible for all paperwork and record keeping.

Would you like to know how a trace on a firearm found at a crime scene is traced?
    1} BATFE calls the manufacturer to find out what distributor it was shipped to.
    2} BATFE calls the distributor to find out what dealer it was shipped to.
    3}BATFE calls the dealer to find out who it was sold to
    4} Dealer has 48 hours to go through their records to find the purchaser and call BATF back.
    Again, I fail to see how this affects me if I haven't left my gun at a crime scene or how that relates to being questioned for OCing.

Senior Moderator
    I have made a couple posts about placing black tape over the serial number of my carry gun so LEO can not claim plain sight and run the number in event of being disarmed "for officer safety" and if removed pursuing civil rights violation referencing Arizona v Hicks (among others).

Some observations... if an LEO wants to run the number on your gun for any reason, he will do so. He will remove the tape to look at the number. If he's nice, he'll put the tape back.

If you dealt with the ATF more than once, you would realize that there is no "horse's mouth" as you can get varing opinions about the same issue, all of the in conflict with each other. The ATF is well known for this and it is well documented.

Running a serial number, for any reason, is within the scope of an LEO performing his duties. Placing a piece of black tape, bubblegum or melted chocolate over the serial number for him to remove does not constitute an illegal search, no matter how you try to make it so or twist it as such.

Implying that it was an illegal search is laughable, but hey, don't let me tell you different if thats what you really believe. I suppose that moving a cigarette pack, or a snuff can off of the VIN number on your dash board of your truck so that I could read it would constitute an illegal search to eh?

I'm going to put this one in the same category as the people that tell me I can not arrest them for violating the law because they are a sovereign citizen and the handout that they give me proves that I cant or that only the elected Sheriff can legally transport them to jail.

Do what you want, beleive what you want. Its a free country. For the most part.
    gasmitty and rocky like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Now you're just switching words. Being asked about the weapon is not a search nor a seizure. The item being taken from your possession is a seizure.

According to the courts in NJ, doing a simple search of a firearm, when in accordance to a probable cause of a seizure of a firearm, looking up the SN is not a search so long as no parts of the gun have to be taken apart. It HAS been held by the Supreme Court of the US that if you have to move or disassemble something in any fashion, that is itself a new search and needs a warrant. Like I stated, my handgun has the SN on the inside of it. If I put tape on it, inside of the window, the only way to remove the tape would be to take apart the firearm, constituting an illegal search without a warrant, as proven by judicial precedent.

Good. I can leave the duct tape in place.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I agree with others as I am not sure why covering the SN would be a necessity.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

If ur legal u hav nothing to worry abt. The law is looking for unlawful activity, if ur not legal I hope ur caught with that stolen weapon.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Dang dude, move up here. We dont do that crap. Looks like youre getting Flynn'd.
    Really West Allis is one of the Cities where Police chief is requiring Local In door ranges to report the list to him been going on for some time now.
    And it seems he is not the only one doing it.

No offense to thoes who are saying its okay if they have nothing to hide but how is this acceptable? I am not one of thoes paranoid types who think the police are out to get us. I have a great deal of respect for LEOs and work beside them frequently. But for as much as this community preaches "shal not be infringed" and against all of these strict gun laws how is it acceptable to you that we be monitored if there is nothing to hide?

Many of you knock the TSA and Homeland Security for searching law abiding citizens yet here we are and it seems most of you are defending checks being run on your guns?

Maybe Im just misunderstanding?
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

JD
    Administrator

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links