Hawaii gun laws and Veterans

This is a discussion on Hawaii gun laws and Veterans within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I live in Hawaii and I'm a veteran. I have heard that it's hard for Veterans to get guns here because they won't give you ...

Thread: Hawaii gun laws and Veterans

Hawaii gun laws and Veterans

I live in Hawaii and I'm a veteran. I have heard that it's hard for Veterans to get guns here because they won't give you a permit if you've ever seen a psychiatrist at the VA. I do not see one but they sent me to one when I started going there because they think we're all nuts, LOL. Anyone have any info on
    this or know where I can get it without having to call the police station? I'm wondering what it says on the form and if I can get around this. I've heard you need a doctors certificate or something but I'm wondering if it matters what kind of a doctor. Thanks for your help.

2. Remove Ads

Im not sure but just seeing a psychiatrist shouldnt nessecarily disqualify you. Unless your information is being shared (illegaly) no one is going to know except you, the VA and the doctor.

Being declared mentaly unstable is a disqualifying reason in Tennessee for owning a firearm.

The only way I can think the state would know is if the psych visit was court ordered. In which case the court would know and it goes on your record. Otherwise your healthcare information should be protected.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I think there's a question on the permit app and this state is so wacked when it comes to gun laws. I could probably lie but I do think I need a form signed by a doctor. I'm not
    really sure which is why I'm trying to get some info.

VIP Member
    Here is a link to the application process. Permit to Aquire

And to the rest of their laws. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/hawaii.pdf
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

There is a civilian shooting group that shoots at Puh'lua range, over on the south Leeward side of Oahu. They have a website if you search for it, they would be a good resource for firearms info in the state. But, I'd just go to the PD, or a lawyer.

Actually, after living in Hawaii for a few years, I'd just move somewhere else, but that is my personal opinion. Island life was not for me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    There is a civilian shooting group that shoots at Puh'lua range, over on the south Leeward side of Oahu. They have a website if you search for it, they would be a good resource for firearms info in the state. But, I'd just go to the PD, or a lawyer.

Actually, after living in Hawaii for a few years, I'd just move somewhere else, but that is my personal opinion. Island life was not for me.
    I'll second that thought. SWMBO and I have visited there for many years and discussed retiring there. Between the firearm laws and the thought that almost everything has to be shipped in, we ruled it out.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by september View Post
    I live in Hawaii and I'm a veteran. I have heard that it's hard for Veterans to get guns here because they won't give you a permit if you've ever seen a psychiatrist at the VA. I do not see one but they sent me to one when I started going there because they think we're all nuts, LOL. Anyone have any info on
    this or know where I can get it without having to call the police station? I'm wondering what it says on the form and if I can get around this. I've heard you need a doctors certificate or something but I'm wondering if it matters what kind of a doctor. Thanks for your help.
    I'm pretty sure that you don't have to disclose any information about you getting a psyc evaluation. I'm also pretty sure that the check off box says have you ever been admited, which is completely different then talking to someone. I don't expect you would have any trouble.

VIP Member
    Sorry to say, it has nothing to be with being a veteran, or having seen a psychiatrist. Getting a picture of Big Foot is easier than getting a carry permit there.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by september View Post
    Alright....having actually lived there, and purchased both handguns and long guns there, let me answer you. You'll fill out a permit to purchase long guns, get your fingerprints taken for the FBI with a one time fee of like $19.25 (exact change required), fill out a form that authorizes them to check out your mental health records, which is basically you just signing at the bottom, fill out a form telling them who your primary care provider is, with address, name, phone number. Wait two weeks, get the long gun purchase permit. This permit is good for one year, and with that permit there is no waiting period for a long gun. Just buy it with the permit and walk out of the store with it.

For handguns, everything is the same as above, except you need to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course to purchase, or a Hunters Safety Course. You buy the handgun after showing the gun dealer proof of training, bring the receipt to the police station, fill out the forms above, wait two weeks, go back to the police, get the permit to purchase handguns (with the specific handgun(s) listed on it that you bought), go back to the gun store, get the handgun with the permit.

For all firearms, after you pick them up you have to take them to the police to register them.

I recommend you just go to the police station, fill out the permit forms, and if you get denied begin your appeal process. I doubt you'll get denied.

Links:

Hawaii Gun Laws

If you're on Oahu, this is where you go to get the permit and to register:

Firearms Unit
    Last edited by peckman28; September 20th, 2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Add More Info

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Sorry to say, it has nothing to be with being a veteran, or having seen a psychiatrist. Getting a picture of Big Foot is easier than getting a carry permit there.
    I've heard the same thing.

Links