45ACP - XD vs. Glock 21, Your Thoughts - Page 2

45ACP - XD vs. Glock 21, Your Thoughts

This is a discussion on 45ACP - XD vs. Glock 21, Your Thoughts within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Which fits your hand the best? Not my hand, your hand. On which can YOU most easily access the controls (SS, mag release, etc)? Which ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 45ACP - XD vs. Glock 21, Your Thoughts

Which fits your hand the best? Not my hand, your hand. On which can YOU most easily access the controls (SS, mag release, etc)? Which feels best when you shoot it?

At $$$, both of these are fine pistols. reliability of both is excellent, so buy what works. You won't care ot oh-dark-thirty when you reach for it whether it is a Springfield or a Glock, just that you know you can hit your target.

I agree with InTTruder, since you can get either for the same $ it's mostly about what fits your hand and eyes best. I know the Glocks are super reliable and I've tried hard to like them, but I just can't get past the way they feel in my hands. So I recently bought a new to me XD .45 and love it. Put 250 rounds through it last weekend with no FTF or FTE issues using both really cheap and expensive ammo. I liked it so much that I'm going back to my local dealer to get an XD 9mm. The .45 will be my EDC choice while the 9mm will be for sport shooting (IDPA, and practice).

I think ultimately you can't go wrong either gun.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

Older but still

I've had the pleasure of owning both these guns. I got the XD45 bi-tone when I got back from Iraq in 2011 and had it up until last year. It was a great gun, but something did not feel perfect about it. I let it go and moved on to the SIG Sauer P250C in .45, which was a great gun despite a few malfunctions. It felt much better than the XD and I enjoyed it more, but still wasn't there. I decided to try another caliber and went a friends Glock 23 for a while, but hated the .40 caliber. Recently I purchased the 21SF and i love it. It was what was missing. The SF is better for me(small hands), and is just the best gun I've had so far. I'm pleased with the mag capacity of 13+1 and the size overall. I'd recommend it to anyone who is a fan of .45's.
    Richard58 likes this.

VIP Member
    I would recommend the Glock. Love mine and it's my HD weapon.

I would also suggest checking out the Glock 30. For some reason I shoot this one better than the 21. The larger mags for the 21 work in it as well, and it's easier to carry.
    g21sfman and 10thmtn like this.

If you have smaller hands, the XD grip wins out for a defensive gun. Otherwise, my preference goes towards glocks.

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    I prefer Glock over Xd no matter what the caliber is when it comes to Polymer Guns
    Better shooter for me overall,lots of tricks and gadgets to add on for customization and better resale value
    When it comes time to sell,youll have to give your Springfield away compared to the high demand for the
    Glock ..

Warrior1256 likes this.

Nix
    Quote Originally Posted by Calling45 View Post
    I love my G21 Gen4, a favorite Glock for me. Excellent weapon. Highly recommend it.
    Same here. Hard to beat.

...but why a .45ACP for hunting? Why not a .44 Mag or .45 Colt?

I've owned them both.

Personally, I would go with the Glock; I found it was more accurate, I don't care for the XD's grip safety, and the stock trigger in a Glock is MUCH better than the mushy, squishy trigger they saddled the XD with. I also really don't like how top heavy XD's feel.

Even though I have sold pretty much all of my plastic fantastics...after shooting a Gen4 G21, I just might end up picking up another.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Had both like both but Glock at least to me is much simpler and my 1st choice. having said that I would feel good about an XD if I were to carry one,in fact I do on occasion carry an XDs.

Personally, I enjoy shooting the Glock 21 over the XD. Just a different feel, of which I prefer the Glock. No good solid reason for you to help base your decision on, though.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

I get a chance to fire a lot of different hand guns . Yesterday was one of our family and friends range days we did a lot of shooting and a lot of trying each others weapons and different rounds.
    I had the chance to put a couple hundred rounds through a Springfield Armory XD .45 ACP 3.3 inch single stack.
    What an outstanding weapon it was. It's small size may not work for some I did not use the extend mag with it and it just felt like an old friend in my hand. I placed it in my IWB holster and it was like carrying a 9mm it is so slim and light.
    Get over the the Glock hype and come into the light
    Last edited by Smitty901; July 5th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    006.9V2.1 likes this.

I had a great experience with an Xd 45 compact, It was my first .45acp. It was very reliable and accurate. I've shot the Glock 21 a few times and that thing was sweet. Between the 2 mentioned I would probably get the Glock 21 because its lack of the grip safety. Not to complicate things but I think I would get the M&P 45 if I was getting a range gun. It has a couple less rounds in the mag but the ergo's fit my hand better than any glock or xd

I prefer the xd but both are excellent weapons.
    “But now,” he said, “take your money and a traveler’s bag. And if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one!” Luke 22:36 (NLT)

Distinguished Member Array sealteam20001's Avatar
    my vote is on the xd .but im not a fan of polymer stuff. i'll stick with steel 1911s

Quote Originally Posted by sealteam20001 View Post
    my vote is on the xd .but im not a fan of polymer stuff. i'll stick with steel 1911s
    At my age and having Carried the Colt on active duty I also had a sore spot for the modern non 1911 .45's.
    But They are winning me over as a little small CC option. Some of them are some fine shooting weapons.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links