Dry Firing

This is a discussion on Dry Firing within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Does it hurt guns to dry fire them? A long time ago I heard that it did. Thanks!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dry Firing

Dry Firing

Does it hurt guns to dry fire them? A long time ago I heard that it did. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

That's a great big "depends."

Some of us could probably give some advice if we knew which firearms models you were concerned with.

One of the number one revolvers you don't want to dry-fire is the Colt Single Action Army.

One that I've dry-fired with abandon is the Smith & Wesson revolver with hammer-mounted firing pins. Any of several around here have been dry-fired for many years, over 30 for some of them. This doesn't hold true for Smith & Wesson rim fire models.

The 1903 Springfield, M1 rifle, M1A, and AR 15 have not suffered any ill effects from much dry-fire practice in preparation for high-power rifle competition in my experience.

Welcome to the Forum, by the way and a very reasonable first post. Thanks!
    gasmitty likes this.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Most (maybe not all) modern centerfire guns are okay to dryfire, but for as little as what snapcaps cost, why risk any possibility of potential damage? Older firearms, maybe not. Rimfires, not a good idea.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I know there are a lot of guns that are safe to dry fire, but I've always made it a personal habit of never dry firing any gun. I collect a lot of vintage and antique firearms, and replacement strikers or firing pins can be costly or hard to find.

Just about all firearms of modern manufacture are safe to dry fire. The one exception to this is rimfires, which could damage the breechface. Older firearms are are case by case basis.

VIP Member
    Most modern center fire firearms it isn't a problem. Rim fire firearms it isn't a recommended practice. If in doubt, use snap caps.
    I'm sure you can get them there in Lawton, if not a trip to Murf's Guns in Duncan OK will put you into a whole world of snap caps.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Ruger is one notable exception to the general caution about not dry-firing rimfires. Any Ruger rimfire made within the past 50 years is capable of dryfiring to your heart's content without fear of damage.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here is an easy answer. Never pull the trigger on a gun unless you know there is a bullet in there and you are trying to fire the round. It is a good habit that will help prevent you from fire a weapon that you THOUGHT was unloaded
    BugDude likes this.

Other than rimfires, I dry fire all the time. Just started recently, and oh man, what a difference it made at the last match.

use practice ammo to dry fire.

Iment plastic ammo

Quote Originally Posted by trek757 View Post
    Does it hurt guns to dry fire them? A long time ago I heard that it did. Thanks!
    I know my walther p22 book says not to do it. I heard most .22 HG you aren't supposed to but you be on the safe side contact the maker to find out for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by dustinhicks1 View Post
    Here is an easy answer. Never pull the trigger on a gun unless you know there is a bullet in there and you are trying to fire the round. It is a good habit that will help prevent you from fire a weapon that you THOUGHT was unloaded
    Dry fire is a very valuable training tool and technique that can teach a shooter a lot.

Proper safety precautions, i.e. chamber checks and no ammo in the room, will prevent negligent discharges.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I would suggest spending a few bucks on dummy rounds. Just my opinion though. Welcome to the forum.

I have a couple 9mm reloads that have no powder or primer that I mix in with my ammo when I load my mags at the range. This way I can practice clearing the chamber if I need to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links