can a bullet go through this? - Page 2

can a bullet go through this?

This is a discussion on can a bullet go through this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It would be a pretty small hole, so just shoot it and find out! It has been rumored that Wyatt Earp wore a heavy woolen ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: can a bullet go through this?

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA
    Posts
    5,150
    It would be a pretty small hole, so just shoot it and find out! It has been rumored that Wyatt Earp wore a heavy woolen coat that would stop a .32...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!


  2. #17
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Interesting as well. Do more people cc .22 then I realize?
    More than youd think buddy..wink wink

  3. #18
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    A can of spam REALLY????? The guy in the video is a tool and is being irresponsible. The only way I would advocate a .22 as an EDC is if the individual could not handle a service caliber. Either thru age or physical disability. Remember folks the .22 out of a rifle is different than out of a pistol....
    Load of BS. I reported the facts in the thread linked below and nobody will argue it there. Lets be truthful. Post #87

    The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

    Why would .22lr out of a pistol be worse than from a rifle? If youre claiming that it has a lower velocity, your point is moot. It just match the velocity of a standard larger caliber. The human body doesnt care if its a .45, .32 , .22 or a sharp stick. Getting shot is bad for your health and a punctured lung is a punctured lung.

  4. #19
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,577
    No, your leather vest and additional denim would not stop a .22 LR of even standard velocity. Not even close.





    .22 subsonic through baseball.

  5. #20
    VIP Member Array Harryball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Lansing Mi
    Posts
    7,485
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Load of BS. I reported the facts in the thread linked below and nobody will argue it there. Lets be truthful. Post #87

    The .22 pistol and round for self defense...My take on it.

    Why would .22lr out of a pistol be worse than from a rifle? If youre claiming that it has a lower velocity, your point is moot. It just match the velocity of a standard larger caliber. The human body doesnt care if its a .45, .32 , .22 or a sharp stick. Getting shot is bad for your health and a punctured lung is a punctured lung.
    The facts as you see them. So I would guess that makes it an opinion. Show me the real facts on the .22lr coming out of a pistol as compared to other offerings. I think you might be surprised. Between those of you that advocate the .22lr as a defense round and the ones not carrying a round in the chamber, this board has really slipped....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

    Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

  6. #21
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    The facts as you see them. So I would guess that makes it an opinion. Show me the real facts on the .22lr coming out of a pistol as compared to other offerings. I think you might be surprised. Between those of you that advocate the .22lr as a defense round and the ones not carrying a round in the chamber, this board has really slipped....
    Its not my opinion. Its a factual study done by a retired LEO. BTW, those ARE out of a pistol. Its in last months American Rifleman, the article called "Handgun Stopping Power." i am not advocating .22lr as a defense round, im just repeating what ive already said before...LETS KEEP IT TRUTHFUL.

    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    The September 2012 issue of American Rifleman has an article called "Handgun Stopping Power. (pgsl 50-56)" It lists data using 10% ordnance gelatin using .22 Long Rifle, .32 North American Arms, .32 H&R Magnum, .380 ACP, 9mm Luger, .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .40 S&W, 10MM, .45 ACP, .460 Rowland and .45 Colt.

    If you look at the .22lr section, they used CCI 32 gr. Stinger out of both 2.4 and 5" barrels. The penetration for each with the exception of the Stinger from a 2.4" barrel would seem to suggest that, provided you hit center of mass and keep repeatedly hitting it, that even with the mere 8 inches of penetration from the Stinger out of a 2.4" barrel, you would stop a threat DEAD, especially if you're hitting the chest and punching into the lungs.

    (And yes, I know it doesn't carry as much energy as 9mm, but not really sure that's an issue considering the stats and facts...

    I'll put the results below, but if it's against the rules, I'm sure a mod will let me know. I've cited the source above, so doubt it will be a problem.

    CCI 32-gr Stinger (2.4" barrel): 1012 fps velocity at 10'; 8 inches penetration; 1.61 expansion factor
    CCI 32-gr Stinger (5" barrel): 1283 fps velocity at 10'; 10 inches penetration; 1.38 expansion factor
    CCI 40-gr Velocitor (2.4" barrel): 833 fps velocity at 10'; 14 inches penetration; 1.00 expansion factor
    CCI 40-gr Velocitor (5" barrel): 1061 fps at 10'; 12 inches penetration; 1.34 expansion factor

    average .22 lr performance: 1047 fps velocity at 10'; 11 inches penetration; 1.33 expansion factor

    It's got a few advantages vs. say just for an example against Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm Luger: 115 gr 1119 fps at 10'; 10 inches penetration; 1.58 expansion factor.

    You've got less recoil which allows you to reacquire the target very quickly, you've got a better expansion factor, which comes into play even more so than the greater surface area of the 9mm as the .22lr round will tumble and 'bounce around' and you've got rate of fire. However, nothing trumps preparedness. If you draw at the same exact time as somebody carrying that 9mm round, you will probably get off the first round at the same time, the second slightly before and so forth, but if you're hit, it's not the same as drawing first, firing first and dropping the BG before he can get a shot off.

    Prepare, practice and become proficient with your .22 if you're going to carry it. Know the zones to hit, study up on human anatomy a little bit. It can't hurt.
    I carry one, but I practice with it almost every day USING the load that I am going to carry. But, having said that...it's not the only caliber I carry.

    edit: I took the 9mm sample from the same study and picked it at random by dropping my pencil and picking the load nearest the eraser. Not picking one over the other for any specific reason. I have carried the 115 gr Critical Defense, it is a good round. I haven't had many problems with it.
    Post from the aforementioned thread ^^^

  7. #22
    Senior Member Array 031131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    1,023
    wow this thread is still going. hmmm some people seem to get rather aggressive when talking about .22. I aggree with tricolordad, a punctured lung is a punctured lung. I was considering my .22 as cc at one point because I can empty my whole mag accuratly in the time I get off 3-4 of a 9mm. But my walther p22 isn't exactly what I would call reliable. I have seen some pretty good videos on youtube about .22 where they are shot through car doors and what not.
    tricolordad likes this.

  8. #23
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    wow this thread is still going. hmmm some people seem to get rather aggressive when talking about .22. I aggree with tricolordad, a punctured lung is a punctured lung. I was considering my .22 as cc at one point because I can empty my whole mag accuratly in the time I get off 3-4 of a 9mm. But my walther p22 isn't exactly what I would call reliable. I have seen some pretty good videos on youtube about .22 where they are shot through car doors and what not.
    what are you feeding your P22? mine never jams, had a magazine issue that was fixed by contacting walther

  9. #24
    Senior Member Array 031131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    what are you feeding your P22? mine never jams, had a magazine issue that was fixed by contacting walther
    Here is a thread I made about my p22 a little while ago. Yes I use cci mini and once I get around 3-400 rounds start ummmm sticking maybe? sometimes they fire sometimes they don't but either way I have to lock the slide to the rear and manually pull the round/case from the barrel (depending if it fired or not). which is not something I have to do with my other 3 guns. However this is a great improvement from my previous experience with the p22. I might just need that spring I mentioned, and or have to do what I mentioned about the hammer.

    At what point did your p-22 begin to work?

    sorry forgot it the first time

  10. #25
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Here is a thread I made about my p22 a little while ago. Yes I use cci mini and once I get around 3-400 rounds start ummmm sticking maybe? sometimes they fire sometimes they don't but either way I have to lock the slide to the rear and manually pull the round/case from the barrel (depending if it fired or not). which is not something I have to do with my other 3 guns. However this is a great improvement from my previous experience with the p22. I might just need that spring I mentioned, and or have to do what I mentioned about the hammer.
    Have you tried soaking it in CLP cleaner overnight? I drop the entire slide in a tupperware with about a half inch of CLP and soak it overnight every 500 rounds. Takes a while to bleed out after I finish, but she runs smooth...The FTE sounds like an extractor issue.

    Edit: i searched it and found out i posted there when you first opened the thread.

  11. #26
    Senior Member Array 031131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Have you tried soaking it in CLP cleaner overnight? I drop the entire slide in a tupperware with about a half inch of CLP and soak it overnight every 500 rounds. Takes a while to bleed out after I finish, but she runs smooth...The FTE sounds like an extractor issue.

    Edit: i searched it and found out i posted there when you first opened the thread.
    No i have not tried a over night soaking. I'm very detailed with my cleaning though and even break out the pipe cleaners but I will give that soaking a go next time I have the chance to shoot it.

  12. #27
    Member Array tricolordad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Richmond, Wisconsin
    Posts
    490
    Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    No i have not tried a over night soaking. I'm very detailed with my cleaning though and even break out the pipe cleaners but I will give that soaking a go next time I have the chance to shoot it.
    Let me know how it works out! Its a shame when a good gun underperforms.

  13. #28
    Senior Member Array 031131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Let me know how it works out! Its a shame when a good gun underperforms.
    I will. thanks for the tip

  14. #29
    VIP Member Array suntzu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    TX/NH
    Posts
    5,923
    Not sure about the point of the question but I would not expect and combination of layers of garments to stop any round. BTW: I would also not trust any firearm I carried for self defense to have to be soaked in CLP overnight aft 500 round to makes sure it functions properly. Sounds like your extractor or spring is defective. But then again, I am not a gunsmith :)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

    Isaiah 6:8

  15. #30
    Senior Member Array 031131's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    nh
    Posts
    1,023
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Not sure about the point of the question but I would not expect and combination of layers of garments to stop any round. BTW: I would also not trust any firearm I carried for self defense to have to be soaked in CLP overnight aft 500 round to makes sure it functions properly.
    Yeah, thank goodness for the other two I have. I really like that p22 though :( oh well.

    the point about the original post (before we got side tracked about different caliber) was in a sumed up version. can the mentioned vest and jacket combination stop a .22. Though we seem to have beat that horse enough now.

    But we are off topic anyway so I mine as well throw out that there is a gunshow in Manchester, NH this weekend. I plan to go and figured I would pass the info along to anyone who is in the new england area.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bullet go through
,

can a 22 caliber bullet go throw a 2x 4

,
can a bullet go through a motorcycle helmet
,

can a bullet go through a rock

,

can a bullet go through a tree

,

can bullets go through rocks

,

can bullets go through trees

,

how far can a 22 caliber bullet travel

,
how far will a 22 caliber bullet travel
,

what can a bullet go through

,

what can bullets go through

,
will a bullet from a hand gun pass through a tree
Click on a term to search for related topics.