can a bullet go through this?

This is a discussion on can a bullet go through this? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; alright so I don't expect this to stop anything in all honestly. But I was just thinking of my motorcycle clothing. some reason the idea ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: can a bullet go through this?

alright so I don't expect this to stop anything in all honestly. But I was just thinking of my motorcycle clothing. some reason the idea came to be about whether a .22 could make it through. So I wear what I would consider a fairly standard leather vest, on top of a heavy denim jacket which has a articulated triple density back protector in it. So do you think a .22 could go through or not? I paided about $160 for it all so I'm not about to go try it out myself lol.

I've test fired a .22 Long Rifle high-velocity 40 grain solid, fired from a rifle, into a hanging field dressed deer's rib cage to find that a deer rib cage would not be the thing to hide behind when needing cover from incoming .22 bullets. Bullets go in one side and out the other. Neither hide nor rib bones seemed to make much difference to the little slugs. Don't much think your motorcycle clothing will be bullet proof against .22s.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

^^^^

This.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

PB2
    Don't bet your life on it.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've test fired a .22 Long Rifle high-velocity 40 grain solid, fired from a rifle, into a hanging field dressed deer's rib cage to find that a deer rib cage would not be the thing to hide behind when needing cover from incoming .22 bullets. Bullets go in one side and out the other. Neither hide nor rib bones seemed to make much difference to the little slugs. Don't much think your motorcycle clothing will be bullet proof against .22s.
    Good to know.

You may find this hard to believe. I had to do a recovery for the cost and an article 15 on Soldier that shout a Kevlar helmet with a 22. Granted he was close but it did stick into the helmet .
    I would not want to try and stop any bullet with my riding jacket even the one with inserts.
    On the farm we dropped a lot of cattle and hogs with a .22 one shot to the head.
    bigmacque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    You may find this hard to believe. I had to do a recovery for the cost and an article 15 on Soldier that shout a Kevlar helmet with a 22. Granted he was close but it did stick into the helmet .
    I would not want to try and stop any bullet with my riding jacket even the one with inserts.
    On the farm we dropped a lot of cattle and hogs with a .22 one shot to the head.
    Interesting as well. Do more people cc .22 then I realize?

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I wouldn't expect riding gear to stop a bullet. But, there are some of those companies that make bike gear with Kevlar- might stop a .22 at a long distance. I definitely wouldn't want to bet my life on it.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    That would be an interesting test, my riding jacket has a plastic spinal insert and plastic fore arm guards, they're each about half an inch thick, plus the leather and other clothing. I would have to hedge my bets though that they wouldn't even come close to stopping a .22. Anyone that uses 2x4's to make target frames will attest to the fact that a .22 will go through 2 inches or more of wood like butter.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Oakley used to claim their polycarbonate shades were "bulletproof", but that was something like a BB at 150 FPS. My riding gear is to prevent road rash, and attenuate some of the impact with the 5022173370.0 Caliber BB we call 'Earth"
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by 031131 View Post
    Interesting as well. Do more people cc .22 then I realize?
    This was one of those off duty things to many beers a .22 a Kevlar next thing you know they just had to find out.
    Cost soldier 150 cash for the Kevlar. CO went easy on him 100 dollars and required AOD assessment .
    I ask for the AOD this was not the first drunk stunt he pulled.

22lr vs 9mm will the 22lr save your life? - YouTube

Let me know if the link dosnt work, I pulled it from mobile. This is not me or my work.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post

Let me know if the link dosnt work, I pulled it from mobile. This is not me or my work.
    Spam killer!
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Is there a proxy for the "articulated triple density back protector"?
    Matching your Thanksgiving dinner spending to a DwB (MSF) donation seems poetic to me.

As well, there are millions in potential patents possible with this (simple) discovery. Tell the kids about this and "type III levers"! It's an untapped technology...

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post

A can of spam REALLY????? The guy in the video is a tool and is being irresponsible. The only way I would advocate a .22 as an EDC is if the individual could not handle a service caliber. Either thru age or physical disability. Remember folks the .22 out of a rifle is different than out of a pistol....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links