Shooting my Glock

Shooting my Glock

This is a discussion on Shooting my Glock within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Okay, I'm still breaking in my G19 and XDm 3.8 9mm, so today I decided to head out to the range. I'll be honest, I ...

Shooting my Glock

Okay, I'm still breaking in my G19 and XDm 3.8 9mm, so today I decided to head out to the range. I'll be honest, I just don't shoot well with my G19 (a lot more accurate with my G30SF for some reason), and I always shoot low left. I realize I'm slapping the trigger, so I decided to try the Ayoob Wedge today, and moved the position of my support thumb a little more towards the slide than I normally do. Immediate difference. While still shoot a little low and left, NO WHERE near as bad as when I was using my 1911 grip. Also, I went to the first knuckle instead of middle of the meaty portion and found it helped even more.
    All of that is good and well, but here's what threw me-- when I moved from the 7 yard to the 10 yard, my accuracy with the Glock improved even more. Went back to the 7 and it went down. To the 10 went up again. I was outshooting my XDm at the further distances and not just by a little. Same ammo in both pistols.
    Has anyone run into this? Is the Glock more geared towards extended ranges than my XDm in the same caliber?

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    The glock are no more a long distance gun than the xdm's just seems you shoot it better and now that you have found something new as far as grip goes its just working better for you. Those darn glock do tend to work well if you have a open mind about shooting them. A friend mine is a 1911 guy but after shooting my g17 and hitting targets better at longer distance and he is now wanting one. Go figure!!.

It took me a bit to get used to shooting a Glock. But once I did, I shot it pretty well. So I bought a couple more.

It took me a while to get used to the factory sights on my glock and i still might change them out. I shoot my 1911 and my m&p way better as far as 10 ring shooting but my accuracy with my glock is getting better with practice!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Take a look at Warreen Svigny or Warren Ataactical. Nice, thin front sight blade, very accurate. OP, you hasve stumbled upon the great truth of life when it comes to shooting GLOCKs; You WILL shoot low left when you start, and whn you go to the proper trigger position it miraculously fixes itself. Now, rotat you firing hand grip around so your finger is always in that position rather than reaching for it and youll be ready to carry it. <g> Well, almost.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. I have a Glock 23 gen 4 and I have been shooting low left when I first go it. I immediately thought for a gun of this price should have some type of adjustable stock sights AND instead of paying a hundred dollars for the "tool" that adjusts them, it should be easier!.... My wrong since reading this and hearing others. I have since not knowing I was tightening my fingers/jerking and slapping trigger. No need for the trijicon sights that I was looking for. Might still get them though for Christmas.

If memory serves, there was once a nice diagram floatin' around here somewhere that diagnosed bad shooting habits by where your POI (Point of Impact) was grouping in relation to your POA (Point of Aim). Most good instructors can do the same thing by watching you shoot. First advice is to make sure your palms are firming pressing directly toward each other as you grip & move your trigger finger as independently (from your grip) as humanly possible. It's easier to do than it is to explain, but often makes for a lot of improvement.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    I just wish it said "You're doing fine!" right in the dead-middle!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

It's all about trigger control. It does take a bit of practice to get used to the Glock trigger, but when you do, it's as accurate as any pistol out there. I've never heard of Glocks being a "long range" gun. I shoot as well (or in some cases, as poorly) at short ranges as I do longer distances.

I had 15,000 rounds through my H&K P2000 when I switched to the Glock 23. I shoot the Glock way better than I did my H&K (LEM) and on par with how I shoot my Kimber.

You should extend the distance to 25 yards or so, 10 yards tells you nothing and is not really a good distance to practice marksmanship at.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I went from 1911 to Glock 36. Shot low left first 300-400 rounds. I was tightening my fingers specifically my pinky.
    RussP at GlockTalk is a Troll!

Links