Help me pick another gun

This is a discussion on Help me pick another gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm thinking of picking up one more handgun since I just sold my CW9 which I disliked. I already own a SR9c LCP and SR22. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Help me pick another gun

Help me pick another gun

I'm thinking of picking up one more handgun since I just sold my CW9 which I disliked.

I already own a SR9c LCP and SR22.

I'm leaning toward something I can use specifically for carry. Don't need something in-between because the SR9c does that already. Really accurate at the range and reasonably comfortable to carry. So definitely single stack for semi-auto and 5 shot for wheel guns.

I'm trying to stick with something in 9mm .380acp or .38/.357 so I don't have to load a new caliber. Also limiting price to $400 before tax and that is a solid maximum price.

Guns I am looking at are a Bersa Thunder 380 either the standard model or the CC model. Ruger LC9 because I have a bunch of Rugers already and am nothing short of happy with all of them. EAA Witness Polymer. No wheel guns I am specifically considering at the moment but definitely open to suggestions.

I will only buy new so no suggestions that are only in my price range as a used gun.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I have a Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro that I carry every day. I've put hundreds of rounds through it and have never had a failure of any kind with it. It's really a sweet shooter too. Why don't you take a look at one.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. CZ 75 P-07 Duty 9mm.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Sig Pro 2022?
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Bersa 380 is a good solidly built gun. Would make a good choice.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

The CW9 you got rid of shoots better than the Bersa, plus is 9mm which is better than .380. Don't know why you didn't like the Kahr. How about a Ruger LCR? since you're willing to go .38 and it's a Ruger.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Looking at your current options, I'd go for a larger frame handgun. You've already got pocket & compact carry covered. Since you'll "only buy new guns" then keep saving until you've doubled your $400 budget & buy a nice 1911.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    The CW9 you got rid of shoots better than the Bersa, plus is 9mm which is better than .380. Don't know why you didn't like the Kahr. How about a Ruger LCR? since you're willing to go .38 and it's a Ruger.
    Cw9 was not what I would consider a good carry gun. The grip was too dang long and couldn't be carried without that stupid pinky rest they put on the factory mags creating an obvious outline on my shirt. Was easier keeping my sr9c concealed than that Kahr.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by fullmetal1911 View Post
    Cw9 was not what I would consider a good carry gun. The grip was too dang long and couldn't be carried without that stupid pinky rest they put on the factory mags creating an obvious outline on my shirt. Was easier keeping my sr9c concealed than that Kahr.
    What about a CM9 or PM9? They are shorter grip. I have both a CW9 and a PM9 and the PM9 is a lot easier to conceal with the shorter grip, even with the little extension on the mag, although they do have mags without the extension. I find the PM9 just as accurate as the CW9. I shoot them better than I do my Glock 19 and Glock 26.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

I ended up finding a killer deal on a brand new LC9. $360 and some change out the door with an extra magazine.

I did find out what the next handgun will probably be down the road, Ruger SR1911. Lot of features for the price of the gun and it's not made in Brazil or the Philippines, so that was another plus. That purchase will be down the road though. I still need to get a new barrel and stock to finish my Ruger 10/22 that I am putting together as a range plinker and build my SBR'd AR-15 first. Might also end up looking into the LCR down the road, but I know they are a little lighter than the S&W 442 airweight and my airweight used to kill my wrists due to the combination of the recoil, light weight and short grip, that gun was known to put an end to my range trips after 3-4 cylinders.

The largest hole in your collection. You need one of these before you get much farther into handgun acquisitions. New or used classic models both have appeal.

Folks who have no high quality .22 pistol don't know what they're missing. They're flat missing out on the best practice, economy, and shooting fun!

https://www.google.com/search?q=ruge...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=brow...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=smit...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=smit...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=colt...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=high...w=1280&bih=890

https://www.google.com/search?q=colt...w=1280&bih=890
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Don't know if you missed it but I did mention in my OP I have a .22lr pistol already, SR22.

Not a huge fan of 22 target pistols, but the SR22 works out for slightly cheaper practice, mini-mags cost only about $0.04 per round less than my 9mm reloads when I use lead bullets. Bulk 22 works out to about slightly less than half the price of my reloads but not as consistent or accurate as mini-mags.
    NRA Member

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    Just bought my Lady a Bersa Thunder .380. What a great shooter..over 500rnds through it with NO issues. Am now reloading .380 and it`s working fine!. Check `em out.
    BurgerBoy likes this.

S&W 442. Airweight, 5 rounds of +p potential, covered hammer so it can be fired from the pocket if need be. I have fallen in love with this gun. It can be carried in gym shorts without much accommodation, can be pocket carried or IWB and is super light, even loaded.

Best all around carry gun IMO. Once i get my Colt 1911 on my permit it will be my backup gun, but to me is my most versatile.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

No comparison between the 442 and the LCR. The LCR might be lighter, but has a much better grip allowing a higher grip on the gun reducing muzzle flip. The gun actually seems more like it's pushing rearward. Only snub I have ever liked shooting. It is actually an easy gun to shoot well without a lot of practice.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

My GF just bought a Thunder 380CC at a gun show on Sunday and we took it to the range today. If I wasn't so set on carrying at least a 9mm as a main carry I would consider the Thunder 380cc as a gun for myself. I will say that the gun is a dream to shoot on the range, but my LC9 is lighter and has a harder hitting round so I am happier with that for carry. I may end up getting the non-carry model of the Thunder 380 down the road for a range plinker since between her thunder and my LCP I need to start loading .380acp.

I've actually owned a 442 airweight before. It was an alright gun, but I never really liked it. I have looked at the LCR and want to shoot one before dropping the cash on one. The 442 was a bad experience. 3 cylinders through it and my wrist was killing me. On paper the LCR is lighter so I would assume it comes with a more harsh recoil. Although at this point between my LCP, LC9 and SR9c I have a few carry guns already. Although I do like the idea of adding the LCR to that line-up, being the ruger fanboy that I am.
    BurgerBoy likes this.
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links