Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. - Page 2

Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

This is a discussion on Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now the flaming will probably start. LEO ND = Glock....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Now the flaming will probably start. LEO ND = Glock.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Self Defense Stories
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Everyone is human, and that doesn't change when you put on a LEO or military uniform. When I did the M9 qualification with the Air Force, I sat next to a woman who had clearly never handled a pistol in her life during the classroom portion. I gave her a great deal of extra help to get her to some basic proficiency; nevertheless I was very happy she was in the other group for live-fire. "They're only human" certainly doesn't excuse a careless mistake, but to just expect that it will never happen is unrealistic. When handling a firearm, no matter in what capacity, you absolutely need to obey the 4 rules at all times. As far as automatic termination for a ND, I think it should depend somewhat on the circumstances. The police chief should have some discretion; that being said, in those circumstances where an LEO does it in public and endangers people, I think the only answer is usually going to be termination. For military members, having something like that happen is generally a sure-fire way to get lit up like never before. Nevertheless, it still happens sometimes. Better to deal with the offenders than punish everyone, or paint all groups with a broad stroke.

I treat all of my weapons as if they're loaded...because they are.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

I too believe there is no Accidental discharge the weapon will not go off on it's own. Someone or something pulled the trigger.
    pittypat21 likes this.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    The word "accident" addresses intent, while "negligence" addresses care or awareness (or lack there of). An unintentional discharge is both accidental (you didn't intend it to discharge) and negligent (you didn't have proper care and follow protocol). You can use either one, in my opinion, though I understand why everyone focuses on the negligence: negligence is almost always the cause of the accident.

*Edit*
    The "accident" is in the discharge, not the trigger pull. You can accidentally hit someone's car with your own, even though you intentionally had your foot on the accelerator.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    Are the reports always indicating 'accidental discharge'? I've said it before and I'll say it again - just because it's reported in the news as an 'accidental discharge' doesn't mean it was. I believe than any discharge where the person didn't intend for the gun to fire, is 'negligent', not 'accidental'. Guns don't go off by themselves. And if it was a negligent discharge, they should be severely reprimanded.
    I wholeheartedly agree. I've said this once and will likely say it many times over, putting one's finger on the trigger is not an accident.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

in fairness to the LEO in question, she at least had the weapon pointed in a relatively safe direction. the shot went into the floor and I don't see where anyone got physically hurt.

I'm not saying that excuses it by any means, if she didn't know how to unload it, swallow your pride and ASK someone how (like....I don't know.....the owner standing three feet away)
    Quando Omni Flunkus Moratati

Maybe I sound like old crusty guy, but, maybe cops should still carry revolvers?
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links