4 days gun delay at Cabela's. Is that something new??

This is a discussion on 4 days gun delay at Cabela's. Is that something new?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting.. Went to Cabela's to buy a marlin 795 22LR rifle. Lady at the counter told me due to the recent shootings, the ATF/FBI got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 4 days gun delay at Cabela's. Is that something new??

Interesting.. Went to Cabela's to buy a marlin 795 22LR rifle. Lady at the counter told me due to the recent shootings, the ATF/FBI got stricter and have been delaying the release of guns to buyers. I have been delayed 4 days. I'm not gonna jump to conclusion.. Anyone experienced anything similar buying guns at Cabela's? I've never been delayed more than 48 hrs. Will have to ask a random gun buyer at Cabela's if I run into one.

Just bought the Nano from Cabela's and only waited 48 hrs. Maybe because that was before the CO shooting? I'm from WI

I think someone is blowing smoke.

I just bought a Sig locally; five minutes and I was out the door.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Is it Cabelas? Or was it due to the background check? Sometimes that can get delayed. A co-worker had to wait a week due to this.

Sponsor
    The NICS Section

Located at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia, the NICS Section processes background checks for the FFLs in those states that have declined to serve as POCs for the NICS. The FFLs conducting business in these states will contact the NICS either by telephone, via one of the contracted call centers, or electronically by the NICS E-Check via the Internet. The FFLs will provide the descriptive information requested on the ATF Form 4473, which is required by law to be completed and signed by every prospective firearm transferee. The FFL will receive a response that the transfer may proceed or is delayed. This response is typically provided within 30 seconds.

If no matching records are returned by any of the databases, the transaction is automatically proceeded. If the NICS returns a match of the prospective firearm transferee’s descriptive information to that of record information located in any of the databases, the FFL is advised that the transaction is delayed. While the FFL is still on the telephone, the call is placed on hold and transferred to the NICS Section in Clarksburg, West Virginia, for a quick review and evaluation by a NICS Legal Instruments Examiner (NICS Examiner). If the record information returned by the NICS presents a valid match to the descriptive information of the prospective firearm transferee, the NICS Examiners, who have access to protected information (as opposed to Call Center personnel who do not have such access) review the information to determine if state and/or federal firearm prohibitive criteria exists. If the information matched by the NICS is not a valid match or no prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL they may PROCEED with the firearm transaction. The FFL must record the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) on line 21b of the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes.

If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:

“. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

When a transaction is DELAYED, the NICS Examiner begins extensive research on the potential prohibitor. When the research is complete, the NICS Examiner calls the FFL and gives a PROCEED or DENY decision on the firearm transaction.

In states that agree to serve as POCs for the NICS, the functions performed by the NICS Section are performed by a local or state law enforcement agency which services the FFLs. The FFLs call these local or state agencies, which perform the check, make the decision whether the check indicates an individual is disqualified or not from possessing a firearm, and notify the FFL of the results of the check.
    Also known as CTD Chris

America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    http://www.CheaperThanDirt.com

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    Is it Cabelas? Or was it due to the background check? Sometimes that can get delayed. A co-worker had to wait a week due to this.
    yeah, due to the background check. Maybe the ATF/FBI are getting stricter..

CheaperThanDirt,

Seems to make sense.. the lady also told me the same thing.. if i dont hear anything from them, just pick it up on saturday. Before i left, she also said my first and last name is very common and it will take more researches to complete the background check. i've been delayed before for rifle purchases, but never more than 2 days. Just kind of stunned me because it's the first time delayed for 4 days.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    It happens from time to time. Happened to me once.

I bought a new pistol Saturday at my LGS in Missouri. It was a matter of minutes for the background check and then I was on my way.

In TX if you have a CHL,there is no background check,they just write your license number down
    Ghettokracker71 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    Interesting.. Went to Cabela's to buy a marlin 795 22LR rifle. Lady at the counter told me due to the recent shootings, the ATF/FBI got stricter and have been delaying the release of guns to buyers. I have been delayed 4 days. I'm not gonna jump to conclusion.. Anyone experienced anything similar buying guns at Cabela's? I've never been delayed more than 48 hrs. Will have to ask a random gun buyer at Cabela's if I run into one.

Just bought the Nano from Cabela's and only waited 48 hrs. Maybe because that was before the CO shooting? I'm from WI
    I would tell the supervisor that the policy just cost them a sale, and leave.

No spell-check with Tapatalk, sorry.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    In TX if you have a CHL,there is no background check,they just write your license number down
    I've never understood why, in VA at least we have to do the background check when you hold a CHL. If I can legally hold a CHL, I can legally purchase and possess a handgun.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member
    This year I've averaged about a gun a month so far and the entire process has never taken more than a few minutes... the only thing that has made me wait for a firearm purchase was insufficient cash in my pocket (I don't use CC's for gun purchases unless it's a "holy cow! I've been looking for one of these for years!" situation)

Me thinks the lady at your local Cabela's is mis-informed.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In FL, a CWFL eliminates the wait, not the background check, which takes about 5 minutes over the phone.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by whoppo View Post
    This year I've averaged about a gun a month so far and the entire process has never taken more than a few minutes... the only thing that has made me wait for a firearm purchase was insufficient cash in my pocket (I don't use CC's for gun purchases unless it's a "holy cow! I've been looking for one of these for years!" situation)

Me thinks the lady at your local Cabela's is mis-informed.
    That wouldn't really surprise me. I once had a lady at the gun counter swear up and down that I had to fill out the NICS form to purchase a muzzleloader. After about 5 minutes of arguing with her, the manager finally came over to set her straight. She was so mad about being wrong that she wouldn't even ring up the sale for me, so the manager ended up doing it. Gotta love those know-it-all gun counter folks.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They do the same thing In MI. Except ours is a CPL (concealed pistol license) so if you buy a rifle, they have to run you....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    My IOI told me that certain people are habitually delayed. Sometimes the lack of a SSN on the 4473 will cause a delay. (The SSN is optional on the 4473 form)
    This information may be help those who frequently experence delays.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links