General gun cleaning question?

This is a discussion on General gun cleaning question? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While field stripping my G-30SF for the first time recently, I was reading the instruction booklet that came with it. It mentioned the copper grease ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mlr1m

Thread: General gun cleaning question?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar

While field stripping my G-30SF for the first time recently, I was reading the instruction booklet that came with it. It mentioned the copper grease that the manufacturer applies to the slide rails. Sure enough there were 2 clearly copper colored stripes on the slide rails. The booklet says not to remove this grease. After cleaning her up and oiling her, I ordered a supply of the copper slide grease from Glock. My question is, since Glock's rail construction doesn't look all that different from that of my other semi's, would it not be a good idea to use the same grease on the slide rails of other makes of guns? I don't know enough about gunsmithing, or for that matter, semi-automatic operation (I'm basically a revolver man) and a retired auto mechanic. It's hard for me to get over, if a little grease is good, a lot will be better. You guns mechanics got any opinions on this?

(I'm basically a revolver man) and a retired auto mechanic.
    Just asking for your opinion as someone who has a lifelong experience with lubes (auto mechanic). Does that copper based grease seem more like anti seize to you?

Michael
    darbo likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Odd, my G30 manual clearly state to clean the firearm prior to use. I did, removing the copper grease, and it's run fine with any lube I've used--currently 3-in-1 oil.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Old Vet...I recommend you go to Wally World and buy a "small" tin of high temp wheel bearing grease...The high temp wheel bearing grease was recommended by Yeager... Now, watch this video and I think you will ALWAYS be happy with your Glock's performance....At least I have been, because THIS is what I do....JMO

Proper Lubrication of an Glock Pistol (#2) - YouTube
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

I imagine any quality lube would work. I have been using Hoppes gun oil on all my firearms for decades and never had a problem. My Glocks get the same treatment.

What is all this nonsense about cleaning a GLOCK?

Settle down I'm just kidding...
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    What is all this nonsense about cleaning a GLOCK?

Settle down I'm just kidding...
    Just run it thru the dishwasher, he he he.

i pretty sure the "copper Glock grease" is nothing more then Loctite Copper Anti-sieze (c5-a) that can be bought in any auto store..will not make one bit of differance if you clean it out and use your own favorite oil or grease..

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    My G19 came with that grease 19 years ago. It has been gone for about 18 years and 11 1/2 months. Still running as smoothe as the day I bought it. I think you'll be fine with good ole gun grease or oil.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

While I dont own a glock, 3 in 1 oil,lightly

I've had four different Glocks.

I've always just cleaned that copper grease out of them.

Never have had a single problem.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    So you want to use the Glock copper anti seize as a regular lube for all your guns? That's not a problem, but I don't think Glock recommends that as your regular lube, they recommend one small drop of quality lubricant per their 6 recommended lubrication points, which can be found in the manual. Regardless though, I don't believe putting the copper anti seize on your other guns will hurt anything.

Edit: I just re-read where the manual talks about the copper lube and states to not remove from "brand new" Glocks. I believe they just want you to leave it on for as long as it will naturally stay there, you don't need to buy more and re-apply it, as further along in the manual they describe how to lubricate the gun with regular use.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Links