Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

This is a discussion on Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by suntzu It was the gun that would not fire unless there was a DNA match Oh, good call. It's been a few ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It was the gun that would not fire unless there was a DNA match
    Oh, good call. It's been a few years. And that actually would be a more useful crime "fighting" tool if only the legal owner could fire it.
    Walk softly ...

2. Remove Ads

They can do that now. They have the ability to have it so only a LEO can fire his own gun (or anybody and their gun). There is a RFID in the gun and only will fire if in close proximity to the a bracelet the person wears.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

^ Talk about trust issues with your weapon. I already have the occasional dream where I need my gun, and it wont fire LOL Now I have to worry about the batteries in my bracelet?

All you gotta do if yer a bad guy,besides probably having a stolen gun in the first place is pick up brass at a firing range and liberally dispense around the crime scene,and or use a revolver that doesn't automatically eject brass,I really don't see this ever working,since there are millions of guns that are out in public hands without any micro stamping
    OldVet and msgt/ret like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They can do that now. They have the ability to have it so only a LEO can fire his own gun (or anybody and their gun). There is a RFID in the gun and only will fire if in close proximity to the a bracelet the person wears.
    I've seen that, but is any PD using it? I certainly wouldn't trust any sort of electronics involved with the operation of my firearms. Electronics fail--often.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    All you gotta do if yer a bad guy,besides probably having a stolen gun in the first place is pick up brass at a firing range and liberally dispense around the crime scene,and or use a revolver that doesn't automatically eject brass,I really don't see this ever working,since there are millions of guns that are out in public hands without any micro stamping
    yea this is why i would put a different firing pin in a gun. loose brass picked up and dispensed at a crime scene. but i like ak's. so it's a non issue for me.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Woooaah. I had no idea about this. Wikipedia just told me that California passed micro stamping into law back in 2007, but that it is currently on hold at the moment for some reason. This is crazy. You watch, if and when more states pass this they will start forbidding you to change out your firing pin or any other micro stamped part unless you get it through a licensed dealer or something. Next they will forbid you to shoot anywhere but a range, and brass will have to be properly disposed of so that your brass can't be picked up by a bad guy, and then they will forbid reloading as well. You watch. I am so disappointed in California right now, but that's nothing new.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

It is proven technology..that is not the debate. It is how effective it would be for LE in tracking BG's weapons
    I do not believe that those who wish to implement this technology care if its effective in solving crimes or not. I think they are looking at it as a way to drive up costs in an attempt to control sales. No different than taxing a product out of existence.

Michael

VIP Member
    Is that legal?
    Yep, no different than buying a replacement firing pin to replace a defective one. Not that I would go to the trouble and expense (unless you just happen to have a lathe laying around the garage) of making one out of a nail. You can buy firing pins all day at Brownell's for $10.00.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

They just came out with a new technology that easily defeats microstamping. You don't have to replace the firing pin and it doesn't leave spent casings at the scene of the crime.

1287755486.jpg

The good thing is that it will be difficult for criminals to get their hands on if the legislation is ever passed.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    This is how a legislator thinks:

1. Can I help push this without losing my job next election?
    2. If it looks like it CAN happen I need to make sure my "business friends" know about it and can invest in (or buy up) the companies that will stamp bullets, make imprint readers, etc.
    3. Then we pass a carefully-worded law that makes only certain businesses (wink, wink) eligible to do the stamping "correctly", and everyone on the inside track is already positioned to make bank.

...or am I just being cynical?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Problem with the vid is that the stamping is also on the breachface of the gun so the imprint is also in the brass, not just the primer.

RKM
    That song made me feel like I was watching the ending credits to a romantic comedy.

The firing pin in my AR is not the original. More expensive option, but WAY easier.

My 2 cents, if you wish to shoot someone with a firing pin micro stamped, go to the local range pick up some spent brass. shoot that person and throw down the brass you collected at the range and take your spent case with you and drop it in the river. to many what if's here.
    david

but in a bad situation, learning how to make a back-up firing pin. is good knowledge. Knowledge to have in your bugout bag.
    david

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links