Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

This is a discussion on Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No, not cynical. Accurate . Originally Posted by jumpwing This is how a legislator thinks: 1. Can I help push this without losing my job ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

Sponsor
    No, not cynical. Accurate

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    This is how a legislator thinks:

1. Can I help push this without losing my job next election?
    2. If it looks like it CAN happen I need to make sure my "business friends" know about it and can invest in (or buy up) the companies that will stamp bullets, make imprint readers, etc.
    3. Then we pass a carefully-worded law that makes only certain businesses (wink, wink) eligible to do the stamping "correctly", and everyone on the inside track is already positioned to make bank.

...or am I just being cynical?
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    Oh, good call. It's been a few years. And that actually would be a more useful crime "fighting" tool if only the legal owner could fire it.
    No. You're both correct.

The gun would only work for its Judge, and each round was tagged with the Judges DNA.

Do you really think that a BG can't figure out that it's easier and cheaper to tape a sock to the slide? I mean we all know they're not too bright but it doesn't take a scientist to defeat the purpose.
    Why?? Because at the last second, the Police are minutes away.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The problem with making a nail into a firing pin is that nails aren't made of tool grade steel. Ive made a few and usally start with a drill shank, or an Allen wrench. They are made of materials that will resist deforming. Most of the pins Ive made are for guns with no parts supply tho. ARs are common enough that Brownells sells them for under $10. It would take more than $10 of my time to make a pin, and that doesn't include the cost of the drill rod or wrench that I started with. DR

Firing Pin, AR-15 - Brownells

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    This is how a legislator thinks:

1. Can I help push this without losing my job next election?
    2. If it looks like it CAN happen I need to make sure my "business friends" know about it and can invest in (or buy up) the companies that will stamp bullets, make imprint readers, etc.
    3. Then we pass a carefully-worded law that makes only certain businesses (wink, wink) eligible to do the stamping "correctly", and everyone on the inside track is already positioned to make bank.

...or am I just being cynical?
    It's actually scary and infuriating how true your statement is. Not just relating to guns or gun control, but every aspect of beurocracy.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    I have to agree it would be far easier to just buy new firing pins. In regards to the legality, I think until the micro stamping issue becomes law you would not be defacing the firearms serial number. The lower is the serialized part not the internals.

My second question is why bother? I have no intention of committing a crime with my guns. If they are stolen and someone used them I don't see my liability going very far and it could lead to me getting my weapon back.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links