Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

This is a discussion on Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Easily defeat microstamping on an AR: Youtube video using a nail to replace the pin

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

goldmaster likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Is that legal?
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Is that legal?
    Microstamping? I'm no lawyer, but by a strict interpretation of the Constitution, I'd say no on several counts.
    joker1 and atctimmy like this.

I just bought a few extra firing pins and some other small parts for my BCG's.

Still, the vid is good information.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by raytracer View Post
    Microstamping? I'm no lawyer, but by a strict interpretation of the Constitution, I'd say no on several counts.
    I meant defeating it
    ericb327 likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

This would be even easier

sandPaperBig.jpg
    atctimmy likes this.

Senior Moderator
    It's not illegal per BATFE, don't know about specfic state laws, but to my knowledge there is no microstamping lay yet on the books
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't know. It seems it'd be easier to buy a new firing pin or use a revolver than to open a machine shop.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

interesting info. i would also like to point out, that you can chuck the nail up in a drill, put the drill in the vise, and go that route to turn down the diameter instead of using a lathe.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Well he will be getting some interesting visitors.

Could also pick-up the brass.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    While microstamping is not required right now (only because it isn't a feasable technology yet, in some places) if it were to become so, I would assume that altering the firing pin would be equivelant to filing down the serial numbers currently. If you would be willing to violate these laws, I'm sure there will be better ways (sandpaper) than using a nail as a firing pin. As it is, I am not too worried about microstamping being instituted because it is such a rediculous concept. However, I don't live in CA, NY or DC. Nationally I don't think it has a prayer, but I wouldn't put anything past some of the more local State looney governments.
    Walk softly ...

Ok. Possibly ignorant question time. So they are saying that on the very top of that firing pin, the make, model, and serial number of my rifle is printed, so it will indent my primers with said information? If thats what i'm hearing, i'm not buying it.

Even if that information WAS microstamped onto my firing pin, I dont think the brass of a primer would even accept such fine detail. I just dont see this happening. Am I understanding this properly?

It is proven technology..that is not the debate. It is how effective it would be for LE in tracking BG's weapons

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    It is proven technology..that is not the debate. It is how effective it would be for LE in tracking BG's weapons
    You are right, it can be done. It is just massively expensive, easily undone, and provides minimal if any benefit to law enforcement. It fails to consider two key factors. First, it assumes that people who are willing to commit murder would be detered from subverting the attempt at identifying them by a law that says you aren't supposed to remove the microstamping (this is at the root level the same problem with all gun control laws). Second, even if the criminals are not smart enough to get around or don't care about the microstamping, being able to know what gun fired the rounds doesn't do any good whatsoever, unless you have a list of who owns every gun in circulation, and track all second hand purchases and trades. Even then there is still the problem of stolen guns and all "pre-stamping" guns.

The whole thing is just a rediculous concept.

The only way it even becomes feasable as a crime "solving" (not fighting) tool, is if you get all Judge Dred(Stalone version) and have each bullet imprinted with the DNA of the person who pulls the trigger, and you keep everyone's DNA on file.

I think part of the goal of the people pushing this is to increase the price of guns to a prohibitive level and put small companies out of business because they can't afford the technology.
    atctimmy and jumpwing like this.
    Walk softly ...

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    You are right, it can be done. It is just massively expensive, easily undone, and provides minimal if any benefit to law enforcement. It fails to consider two key factors. First, it assumes that people who are willing to commit murder would be detered from subverting the attempt at identifying them by a law that says you aren't supposed to remove the microstamping (this is at the root level the same problem with all gun control laws). Second, even if the criminals are not smart enough to get around or don't care about the microstamping, being able to know what gun fired the rounds doesn't do any good whatsoever, unless you have a list of who owns every gun in circulation, and track all second hand purchases and trades. Even then there is still the problem of stolen guns and all "pre-stamping" guns.

The whole thing is just a rediculous concept.

The only way it even becomes feasable as a crime "solving" (not fighting) tool, is if you get all Judge Dred(Stalone version) and have each bullet imprinted with the DNA of the person who pulls the trigger, and you keep everyone's DNA on file.

I think part of the goal of the people pushing this is to increase the price of guns to a prohibitive level and put small companies out of business because they can't afford the technology.
    It was the gun that would not fire unless there was a DNA match

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links