New to Duck/Goose Hunting, questions.

This is a discussion on New to Duck/Goose Hunting, questions. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So, I'm new to waterfowl and hunting in general. I have gone goose hunting once on my brother-in-law's private land but that's it. Where are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: New to Duck/Goose Hunting, questions.

So, I'm new to waterfowl and hunting in general. I have gone goose hunting once on my brother-in-law's private land but that's it.

Where are we allowed to go hunting in Wisconsin? Any public land? State parks? Is there a map of this?

Also, what size shot do you guys prefer for either goose or duck. Do you think black cloud shells are worth the money?

Thanks

I haven't hunted waterfowl in 10 years ever since I became disabled,for ducks I used steel #4,for geese I used either steel BB or BBB,they have come out with new stuff since then,but I just couldn't see paying over 50 cents per shot and back then the "Estate" shells were running about $6 box.
    Your State should produce maps with public hunting access locations and any specific regs for that area,one thing I found was it usually took a couple seasons of hunting and talking to other hunters to figure out the best area unless you are lucky enough to find an old hunter to go with.
    Also once you get a map of locations before the season opens go do some scouting with binoculars and figure out where your going,on public land it's first come first serve so we used to get there about 1-2 hours before shooting times to get a spot and set decoys,can't remember how many times we had hunters walking in to find a spot right at shooting hours and incoming birds spotting them and flying off,or either having no decoys so they set up where they can shoot at birds coming in on yours,or throwing theirs out close enough that when they shoot your getting peppered with falling shot.
    GOOD LUCK,I really miss it and I know my Chocolate Lab did too,she lived to retrieve until old age started setting in
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    I do not duck hunt.
    Your Dept. Nat. Resources should have areas mapped out, where you can hunt, Public lands that are open and such.

Go to their website and look into it.
    Our DNR has such resources available, as well as a water fowl pamphlet whis has all the specifics.
    Good luck be safe.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Hi my name is Badbullgator and I am a Quack Addict

I hunt ducks over 50 days each season. It is my passion. I can't tell you where in WI, but I am sure the state Fish and Game can direct you.
    As far as shot, 3" #2's or BB steel for ducks. We only use 4's on early season teal. I am not a huge fan of Black Cloud or Hevi Shot, just not worth the extra $$. I go through a few cases of Kent Fast Steel each year. It has served me well from Florida to Arkansas to Oklahoma to LA to Texas to Canada.
    The avatar picture is in Arkansas last year.
    atctimmy likes this.
    A word to the wise isn't necessary, save it for the stupid

VIP Member
    Do you think black cloud shells are worth the money?
    No they are not. Learn to shoot geese that are in range and regular steel shot puts them down just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    No they are not. Learn to shoot geese that are in range and regular steel shot puts them down just fine.
    Just remember to shoot them in the face. You can pump their butts full of steel and hey just keep going.

Ok. One more question. I got some Remington BB steel shot 3" shells for this weekend. On the box it says "make sure your gun can handle steel shot". This isn't something I thought of. I'll just be using a 2011 Remington 870 Express. Will this damage my gun? I know this is probably a simple question, but I don't know. On Rem's site, it says that their barrels are ok with "HD" and "Hevi-Shot", but doesn't mention steel. Are these just different names for steel loads?

Thanks

With the amount of steel shot you're likely to put through the gun for actual hunting, I wouldn't worry too much about the barrel. If you use steel all of the time for practice, skeet, etc., then I would worry.

I've only been waterfowl hunting for 2 years now, but I'm also addicted. I've only used Black Cloud since the guy that introduced me to waterfowl hunting swore by it. Since we all share ammunition, it was simply easier to use the same stuff and not worry about which choke to use. I'm not sure if it's better than regular steel shot, but it works fine as long as you hit the bird. We use 3" #3 for ducks and 3" or 3.5" BB for geese.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Okay. I just don't wanna tear my barrel up or anything. Thanks for the info.

What are you shooting your steel loads out of?

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    Okay. I just don't wanna tear my barrel up or anything. Thanks for the info.

Unless you have a very old shotgun, steel is not a problem. I run it through my Benelli's, a Bertta, an old Browning auto, a Ruger red label, and an old Winchester 1400. Is that enough variety for ya? I have never had an issue or known anyone who has had an issue with steel. As I mentioned I through at least 3+ cases a year. Most of that goes through the Benelli and Beretta. They are good guns, but the cheap Winchester has seem plenty of steel with no ill effect.

- Browning Maxus.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Ok. One more question. I got some Remington BB steel shot 3" shells for this weekend. On the box it says "make sure your gun can handle steel shot". This isn't something I thought of. I'll just be using a 2011 Remington 870 Express. Will this damage my gun? I know this is probably a simple question, but I don't know. On Rem's site, it says that their barrels are ok with "HD" and "Hevi-Shot", but doesn't mention steel. Are these just different names for steel loads?

Thanks
    The 870 is a solid choice. I would suggest your choke is not tighter than "modified." Larger sized steel shot will often bulge a full choke.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Of you get a chance practice shooting Trap. It's a great tuneup.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Definitely #3 or #4, 3" steel. Happy hunting.

Well, the truth be told, I grew up near Cheyenne Bottoms in Kansas, which is a huge wetlands in the mid-continent flyway for waterfowl. So I hunted duck and geese, until I realized they flew too high when the weather was nice, so high the planes from McConnell AFB in Wichita dodged 'em. Well, I learned that when it's spitting ice, your teeth are locked together in spasms from the cold, your toes lost feelin' right before sun-up, it's 10 below, and your thermos freezes, that duck and goose hunting is good, which means the ducks and geese fly within range, or waddle in to the decoy sets.

So my advice is to hunt when the weather is so miserable no one else is huntin'

That, and the advice above is good.
    bmcgilvray and goldmaster like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links