I was asked to review an organization's policy

This is a discussion on I was asked to review an organization's policy within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was asked to review a healthcare facility's proposed weapons policy. I pointed out a few items that people were completely clueless on. First, it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: I was asked to review an organization's policy

I was asked to review an organization's policy

I was asked to review a healthcare facility's proposed weapons policy. I pointed out a few items that people were completely clueless on.

First, it referred to legally posessed "licensed weapons." I pointed out that in this state, there is no registration or license to own a firearm. Several people thought that the paperwork one goes through to buy a gun was a registration. I informed them there is no way for them to determine what is or is not legally owned. Only license required is to carry concealed.

Second, it indicated people would be searched and weapons seized. Then returned unloaded and that ammunition would not be returned. I pointed out that they cannot detain nor forcibly search anyone that is not a patient. Just ask them and if they refuse ask them to leave and if not call police for tresspass. You should have seen the looks on the faces when they said the gun would be returned unloaded and I asked, "ok, who is going to handle, secure, and unload the gun? Where will this take place? What training will be required and what safety equipment will be provided like a bullet trap and eye and ear protection? Will there be such a qualified person available 24/7? Is there a separate policy on the handling of the weapon to address these issues?" I had a table full of highly educated people staring at me like "oh crap, didn't think of that." I pointed out the last thing you wanted was someone handling a loaded firearm without proper training and protocol. That's more dangerous than a person carrying it in a holster.

Third, I pointed out that they could not legally refuse to return the ammo. That is theft because they have no authority to take it and not return it. Several said, "but it is illegal for them to carry it here, etc." and I pointed out that in this state the signs hold no force of law. It is not breaking a law, just their policy. It would be no different than me sticking a "no loaded wallets" sign on my front door and then keeping the contents of someone's wallet when they enter my house. Self defense ammo can cost as much as $2.50 per round. Given a 15 round mag and a spare, that's $90 in ammo. They would potentially put themselves in a position in which they have no leg to stand on. It is legally owned private property.

In the end, I had raised many more questions than people had answers to. People stick these policies out there without any thought as to how to implement or the consequences of such. Amazing.
    Eagleks, darbo, rigel42 and 16 others like this.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

At least they asked. It could've turned into a fiasco if they had implemented without understanding the consequences.

And a very good, and well articulated review I might add.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    pittypat21 likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Are you a lawyer? Or in the legal field? It doesn't make sense this organization, being "well-educated" as you said would not discuss the issue with a lawyer,..but then again, neither does implementing a victim disarmament zone and trying to steal peoples ammo (really? wth!? thats just plain disrespectful.)

Unfortunately, I've seen first hand that well-educated=/=common sense. I'm not bashing higher-education, in fact I'm a college student myself,..

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Distinguished Member
    Wait, they would not return ammunition ever? Are these people brain dead. So I leave with a an unloaded gun and then get assaulted in the parking lot with no way to defend myself? If I lived someone is getting sued. Oh and try and tell and off duty cop you aren't giving him his ammo back. LOL
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Great job! Hopefully the gained a little understanding of such stupid decisions/policies.

At least they had the sense to ask someone to look over the policy. Good job on your part.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Well done! My compliments to whoever suggested running proposed policy past a voice of reason.

Wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that discussion!
    Chaplain Scott and phreddy like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmed3 View Post
    Great job! Hopefully the gained a little understanding of such stupid decisions/policies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    At least they had the sense to ask someone to look over the policy. Good job on your part.
    [QUOTE=zacii;2405264]At least they asked. It could've turned into a fiasco if they had implemented without understanding the consequences.

And a very good, and well articulated review I might add.

Sent from my Galaxy S2[/QUOTE

^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Common sense ain't so common sometimes the higher the education.
    They think they know more than the "folks beneath them"

Funny sometimes when they get the "deer in the headlights look", try to stay composed and assert that they have things under control.
    What a hoot!
    What Rubes
    goldshellback likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Are you a lawyer? Or in the legal field? It doesn't make sense this organization, being "well-educated" as you said would not discuss the issue with a lawyer,..but then again, neither does implementing a victim disarmament zone and trying to steal peoples ammo (really? wth!? thats just plain disrespectful.)

Unfortunately, I've seen first hand that well-educated=/=common sense. I'm not bashing higher-education, in fact I'm a college student myself,..
    I'm not a lawyer, but it had already gone through their corporate safety and legal departments before it got to me. That goes to show you how much time and thought they put into it. Unfortunately, I have had many years of experience in multiple facilities with operationalizing such policies. People who have never implemented them nor enforced them just think it sounds good to say "we will search and seize" without giving any thought to the logistics of such. Realistically, they can't detain you for carrying concealed past their posted sign and then charge you with tresspass. They have to give you the opportunity to leave and you refuse. I've been there with the police department when I've had people arrested for just that (refusal to leave). I've had to testify in court in those cases also. It is just experience over theory.

So just what political office do these people hold? Because they sure sound like politicians!
    1911 when a follow up shot just isn't an option

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It does not surprise me at all that such a policy made it as far as it did. It is the same MO as many other businesses, banks, insurance companies, etc.; and please lets not forget some of the equally inane laws on the books, most of which are brought to us by our good and wise representatives at every level of government from local to federal.

Should of pointed out the recent LEO/airport fiasco where they tried to unload a revolver and discharged the weapon.Most non gun people try to be experts in something they have no idea what they are saying but a masters degree and a little research qualifies them to write a paper that to gun people would receive an "F"
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I will say that there was one positive element of the policy that I had not anticipated. It said if someone had a bag that they did not want searched they could secure it in a locker. The only problem is there are no lockers at this time, no one has any idea where they would be located, the logistics behind how it would work, etc. I asked questions like "would we provide locks? Who would maintain control over the key? Are you providing the visitor with use of the locker or is it considered your locker and you are securing the items? Do they have a reasonable expectation of privacy (meaning we can't search their belongings inside the locker)?" Again, it was jaws open like "ummm, we don't know." Easy to put stuff that sounds good in a policy, but they didn't put any infrastructure in place before hand. Again, amazing.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Great job of educating them, BugDude! Did they offer you a postion as the head "Gun Unloading Guy"?
    Ksgunner and darbo like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Great job!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links