Defensive Carry banner

Sons Of Guns comment

7K views 28 replies 20 participants last post by  357and40 
#1 ·
I was watching the show a couple of weeks ago when the Owner of Red Jacket Firearms made the comment that "Academy Sports" had placed an order for something like 450 AR 15's a month from them.
I wonder if "Will has any idea that the Academy Sports in South Texas,at least 3 that I know for a fact in Edinburg ,Mcallen,and Mission Texas will not sell any Center fire AR 15's from the Stores down here after the 'Fast and Furious" debacle.You can find the 22 LR versions in their stores,but they have no AR 15 or AK 47 variant "Sporting Rifles".I just wonder how Will would feel dealing with a Company that decides what type of guns it makes available to consumers when there are no laws against owning the rifles in this State and you can find them in every other gun store around.

#3 ·
True that,but there are lots of people that if they knew Academy Sports was involved in "Corporate Gun Control" wouldn't buy another gun from them,I let my money talk elsewhere

Reactions: gottabkiddin
#6 ·
Will rubs me the wrong way for some reason, but I still half-watch the show. Perfer Amerian Guns. IMHO.

#7 ·
I wonder if "Will has any idea that the Academy Sports in South Texas,at least 3 that I know for a fact in Edinburg ,Mcallen,and Mission Texas will not sell any Center fire AR 15's from the Stores down here after the 'Fast and Furious" debacle.
You'd need to ask him about what he knows or thinks.

As a guess ...

I'd like to think that anyone intimate with a business and its key customers would know of such decisions by their customers, at least when such decisions are related to well-publicized debacles. Seems reasonable to me, though, that even a supplier of weaponry (given the 2A element) would appreciate a large customer's decision to at least temporarily bar sales of similar weapons in that region's stores so long as the question of the continuation of such F&F policies is in question. Wouldn't surprise me that to a manufacturer it would seem an acceptable step by a large retailer, if limited to the affected region. As well, it's not like citizens are that impacted in their ability to acquire AR-15's elsewhere, in that same region.

#8 ·
I quit watching that show when the owner had the genius idea of a 12 gauge shotgun with a taser stuck under the barrel. So much fail... I'll never watch that crap again.

He was probably just giving Academy a plug, and not actually selling them any weapons.

#9 ·
So do you think he should cancel his contract with them and turn down several hundred thousand dollars a month?

That would be foolish. If you stopped selling to everyone who does something you don't like or agree with you would be out of business in a hurry

#11 ·
No I think they should try to sell as many as they can,because if somebody gets reelected and signs a complete ban on any new Ar's Ak's in civilian hands then a lot of the businesses that have popped up selling not only rifle kits but accessories will be going belly up

#14 ·
You guys do know that Will does not own Red Jacket, He is barred from holding a FFL for illegal business practices. So is the daughter. Its actually owned by one of the machinists in the back. But for the TV he doesn't present enough drama. DR

Oops: Red Jacket Firearms Loses Their FFL | The Truth About Guns
Wow, that explains a lot.

During some of the last episodes near the end of last season it became apparent that there was a lot of tension between Will Hayden and Vincent Buckles with Hayden treating Buckles in a very distant manner like when a celebrity would appear on the show- e.g: when he introduced everyone in the shop except Buckles to Ted Nugent. Now it all makes sense. Although, I never liked how Hayden treats his employees (speaking to and treating them disrespectfully as often as he does and for little reason) it is clear that Hayden developed a tremendous resentment towards Buckles after losing his FFL and having to go to Buckles to keep their FFL made it worse. Of course it his (Hayden's fault) fault- Hayden should have known better and acted more responsibly. Now I see why they (Hayden, his odd daughter and her over-excitable boyfriend) got so mad when Buckles left unexpectedly (at least to them)- they literally lost their FFL at that point. I give Buckles a lot of credit for walking out on 'em- they got what they had coming to them. No excuse for how they treated him.

It is kinda funny this season knowing this and watching Hayden storm about the shop like he still has control of everything. Oh, the hilarity and the pomposity. :wink:

#15 ·
It's trash on TV, but it's GUN trash...so we watch it. It's no more or less ridiculous than other so-called reality programming like "Survivor" or the "Batchelor" or "Pawn Stars". And, IMHO, considerable more entertaining than primetime soap operas or pseudo-crime dramas. Because at least part of the time, there are guns on-screen. Now Joe Mantegna's "Gun Stories" during The Outdoor Channel's "Wednesday Night on the Range" (sponsored by Midway USA), that's a GREAT gun show. So is American Rifleman Television and Field & Stream's "The Gun Nuts". And I don't have to be distracted by the Mom & daughter duo (Renee & Paige) from American Guns. :image035:

Reactions: Dennis1209
#16 ·
People need to take the show for what it is, Reality TV(which has very little to do with reality). Yes many things they do are way over the top and have little to no practicality but it's made for entertaining. If Swamp People showed how we really kill gators, pulling the string up slowly and once they break surface shoot, it would be boring! Instead they pull the string and make the gators fight.
I would still rather watch RJF build some obnoxious gun to blow stuff up than see Rich Wyatt pimping out his daughter and wife, charging some moron $20,000 for a rifle, riding in a helicopter.

#19 ·
People need to take the show for what it is, Reality TV(which has very little to do with reality). Yes many things they do are way over the top and have little to no practicality but it's made for entertaining. If Swamp People showed how we really kill gators, pulling the string up slowly and once they break surface shoot, it would be boring! Instead they pull the string and make the gators fight.
I would still rather watch RJF build some obnoxious gun to blow stuff up than see Rich Wyatt pimping out his daughter and wife, charging some moron $20,000 for a rifle, riding in a helicopter.
How about the shot from the water, when there is a monster 10 footer on the line? :rolleyes:

#17 ·
I just watched the video of Will firing blanks at his people found on the link dangerranger supplied. That's the most obnoxious thing thing I've ever seen anyone do with a firearm. Just pointing an "unloaded" gun at anyone is obnoxious enough. Then the piece goes into an unexpected fast cycle. I wouldn't be the least surprised if someone had an eye shot out. I sincerely hope my 13 year old grandson doesn't see that show. I'm teaching him about firearms & we're in the safe handling phase which will probably last until he's 16 if I have my way, lol. He gets to shoot his CO2 BB pistol under my direction & he's darn good. To be on the safe side I just won't watch "Sons of Guns" anymore. I surely don't want a silly contrived "reality" TV show to undo everything he's learned.

#20 ·
1) Didn't Will and his daughter lose their FFLs due to paperwork violations?
2) How many people have seen the daughter claiming she was firing a Desert Eagle 50 cal and on recoil you can see the back end of a Beretta 92FS come up on her but they represent it as her firing the DE?
3) It is the "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" of the firearms world.
4) I would say they are the trailer park of the reality TV world.

#22 ·
Look at it like this, you get to see some uncommon weapons shot, all kinds of stuff blown up, and some special guns brought back to life. To us here that's interesting. To the rest of the people watching, not so much. There HAS to be drama to stay on the air.

#24 ·
Sons of guns and the others are all scripted for TV. I remember when american guns had a contest on the daughter and son, the had to try and out sell eachother to win a AR for themself.
the camera man focused on the back side of the daughter, she had a .45 auto on her belt with the hammer jacked all the way back. sounds safe to me (NOT).

I went to acadamy sports here in Oklahoma and looked at the red jacket AR-15, and I'll keep my colt. I didn't see the quality, I thought I would see.
I really don't have the need for a treaded flash supressor. It was alot lighter than the colt. but not better.
david

#28 ·
When I saw the episode where they chopped up and lightened a classic Browning M1919 machine gun, just so the guy could fire it off-hand, that did it for me. To destroy a vintage and historic firearm just to make a "Rambo gun" out of it is blasphemy in my book....why don't we airbrush over the Mona Lisa because we don't like the color of her dress?....stupid!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.