Hollow point feed issue with LCP

This is a discussion on Hollow point feed issue with LCP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had that problem with Remington UMC 88gr JHP, first round would hang up on the ramp every so often. Only bought that ammo because ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hollow point feed issue with LCP

I had that problem with Remington UMC 88gr JHP, first round would hang up on the ramp every so often. Only bought that ammo because it was all Walmart had in stock at the time and I wanted to go shooting. No problems with Winchester PDX hollow points. Did have a WWB 95gr flat point round hang up on the first round once. Might polish the feed ramp if I ever have it happen again.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. - Han Solo
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    I bought a used LCP a while ago and it had problems feeding every 2nd, 3rd or 4th round. I put about 70 - 80 rounds of mixed ammo through it with the same results.

Eventually called ruger, sent it in and they replaced the barrel, been flawless since.
    I would bet yours just needs a little break in, but ruger will make it right if not.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    Many folks don't believe that a HP from a .380 achieves the desired penetration standard, and that's a valid concern. A .380 HP is not known for consistently reaching 12" of penetration, which would mean that if you hit an arm or some other obstacle before hitting torso you may not penetrate deeply enough to reach vital organs or major blood vessels. For that reason many people go with a FMJ or flat nosed FMJ, which not only guarantees better penetration but ensures increased feeding reliability in these small guns. Personally I use golden saber 102gr HP's in my LCP, but I would not hesitate to use FMJ's either.

I would take your LCP out a few more times and try and variety of ammo before deciding it has an issue, these guns really are known for working quite well. Oh and just to be clear, the first round feed issue is ONLY happening with HP's right?
    Thank you. That was very informative. Yes the first round feed issue is only happening on HP's. So it sounds like I need to take it out again this weekend. I will also do the buff an polish. Thanks for the tips everyone!

I've not had any problems but I use either ball or fairly pointy hollow points.

I have had an LCP for over a year now with no problems with Hornady Critial Defense rounds. But like many have said (after breakin) Ruger has very, very good CS. Also look at the LCP forum and ask questions there. Very helpful in the past for me. They are at Ruger Pistol Forums - Elsie Pea Forum
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Smaller guns do tend to be more problematic with ammo. A friend sent his Ruger .380 in several times and always had failure to feed issues. The problem didn't seem to be the gun as much as the ammo. He too went to the Hornady Critical Defense and shot 2 boxes off without one feed issue. He only uses that now and calls it good knowing he has a quality round that works in his .380

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

When I bought my LCP I also picked up some Speer Gold Dot JHP. On 2 magazines it failed to feed the 4th round (or after the 4th - I can't recall). I went ahead and fired off about 120 rounds of WWB to break it in, which in hindsight is what I should have started with in the first place...

A guy at the range suggested Hornaday Critical Defense due to the more pointed nose of the HP. Said it might feed a little better. Haven't tried that yet, nor have I gone back and tried the rest of the Gold Dot. I have about 200 rounds and it's been cleaned and lubed a few times. I haven't messed with the feed ramp (yet?).

As has been mentioned, I will probably stick with the FMJ now that it's getting cooler out. Between now and sprng I plan to experiment with more JHP just to see what feeds well in this one.

I really like the LCP. A friend who fired it is looking to pick one up as well.

If a break in doesn't work, a feed ramp polish and spring tweak is simple. The LCP isn't immune to the smiley problem similar to the P380. Also consider a magazine issue. If the ammunition is a factor, try the Gold Saber. It has a very rounded profile and a hard jacket, but still performs well.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Just an update. Switching to Hornady Critical Defense resolved my first round feed problem. No more issues. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links