Hollow point feed issue with LCP

This is a discussion on Hollow point feed issue with LCP within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Whenever I rack the first round it catches and sticks as it feeds into the barrel. If I operate the slide again it will feed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hollow point feed issue with LCP

Hollow point feed issue with LCP

Whenever I rack the first round it catches and sticks as it feeds into the barrel. If I operate the slide again it will feed in correctly. Has anyone else have this happen with their LCP? While firing it feeds fine with no issue. It's always with just the first round when chambering it. Kinda curious.

2. Remove Ads

Try some 13# Wolff springs in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Try some 13# Wolff springs in it.
    Found this web site at Wolff but I don't know what the 9lb/11lb/etc. springs mean.
    Springs for RUGER LCP .380 Semi-Auto Pistols

Could you give some more information about these springs? That sounds like something I'd like to know about

You simply replace the recoil spring set with the Wolff springs... I believe they sell a sampler pack so you can find what works best for you.

They also helped keep the ejected casing from landing on my head. :)

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    I've had a couple of LCP's, and still currently own one. Of the small compact .380's they're one of the best, but they're still very small tight guns that tend to have quirks. When you rack the slide are you easing it into battery, or slamming home? Have you tried different HP ammo and seen if that makes a difference? Last but not least, a quick 5 minute fluff and buff might make a difference in giving the nose of that bullet an easier path. Just some thoughts, it may be that a few more rounds down range will do the trick too.
    Cory1022 and Superhouse 15 like this.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Quote Originally Posted by IAm_Not_Lost View Post
    I've had a couple of LCP's, and still currently own one. Of the small compact .380's they're one of the best, but they're still very small tight guns that tend to have quirks. When you rack the slide are you easing it into battery, or slamming home? Have you tried different HP ammo and seen if that makes a difference? Last but not least, a quick 5 minute fluff and buff might make a difference in giving the nose of that bullet an easier path. Just some thoughts, it may be that a few more rounds down range will do the trick too.
    I release the slide after pulling back. No easing. Just letting it slam home. I just thought it was kinda weird because there are no feed issues when firing. I will also check out those Wolff springs. They sound kinda interesting.

Never had an issue with mine when I have put HP in it but then I would not normally have any hollow point in a 380.

Never had any feeding problems with mine.
    (Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

My buddies LCP wont feed HPs, at all. My p3at will. He has tried springs and it has been back to ruger. Works fine for FMJ
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

How new is the gun? How many rounds through it.

My LCP did the same exact thing you are describing before I ever took it through the range. After 50 rounds, I field stripped it and cleaned it and the issue went away.

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    How new is the gun? How many rounds through it.

My LCP did the same exact thing you are describing before I ever took it through the range. After 50 rounds, I field stripped it and cleaned it and the issue went away.
    That might be it. The gun is relatively new as I just recently acquired my CHL. After this weekend there have been about a hundred rounds through it. I'll field strip it and give it a good cleaning and see how it goes. Just out of curiosity Smitty901 why would you not carry HP's in a 380?

+1 the fluff and buff. I have over 200 rounds through mine, and had some issues with Hornady Critical Defense but never Federal Hydra-Shoks (go figger...). I polished the feed ramp and haven't had the problem since, but decided to stay with the HS due to comfort level and some research. Try some different ammo, might I suggest the ElsiePea Forum for more info than you will ever need?

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I've had first round feed problems several times. Problem vanished with use and cleaning. Most such handguns are designed for ball or round nose, so use that to break in.

I had a similar problem with my P-238. With the slide back on the slide release lever for the first round (typical when putting in a new clip), when I released the slide the HP or critical defense would dive into the ramp while FMJ and PowRBall worked fine. A couple hundred rounds and polishing the ramp cured the problem. It will now eat JHP, PowRball, Critical defense and FMJ. I have even tried a couple magazines of all four types and it works fine now.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by th0rr View Post
    That might be it. The gun is relatively new as I just recently acquired my CHL. After this weekend there have been about a hundred rounds through it. I'll field strip it and give it a good cleaning and see how it goes. Just out of curiosity Smitty901 why would you not carry HP's in a 380?
    Many folks don't believe that a HP from a .380 achieves the desired penetration standard, and that's a valid concern. A .380 HP is not known for consistently reaching 12" of penetration, which would mean that if you hit an arm or some other obstacle before hitting torso you may not penetrate deeply enough to reach vital organs or major blood vessels. For that reason many people go with a FMJ or flat nosed FMJ, which not only guarantees better penetration but ensures increased feeding reliability in these small guns. Personally I use golden saber 102gr HP's in my LCP, but I would not hesitate to use FMJ's either.

I would take your LCP out a few more times and try and variety of ammo before deciding it has an issue, these guns really are known for working quite well. Oh and just to be clear, the first round feed issue is ONLY happening with HP's right?
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links