Sig 232 problems

This is a discussion on Sig 232 problems within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Mods, not sure where to put this. I was on the range last Friday. For the first time, ever, I had numerous FTF/stove pipes with ...

Thread: Sig 232 problems

Distinguished Member

Sig 232 problems

Mods, not sure where to put this.

I was on the range last Friday. For the first time, ever, I had numerous FTF/stove pipes with my Sig 232. I would appreciate any help. I plan to go back out again this week after trying a thing or two.
    I have some thoughts:

1. Weak mag spring. Stupidly, I did not have extra mags with me so could not test the others.
    2. Polish the feed ramp? I don't believe I have ever done this.
    3. Ammo? I have been using Magtech FMJ .380/95grain. I have certainly used this same brand/lot last year without a problem. Interestingly, I used some personal defense ammo without a problem. Also, never had problems with Magtech ammo in any other caliber.
    4. It has been almost a year since I have been to the range with that pistol.
    5. Ironically, I gave it a thorough cleaning the day before I went to the range.
    6. Too much oil? Maybe I over-lubed?

That's about it. I really like this little guy. Next to my P30, it's the most accurate pistol I own. I have never had so much as a hiccup with it before.

Thanks for any help.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

I would check:
    magazine clean and spring inserted correctly
    Ejector and extractor ok
    less than 3k rounds since last spring change or replace at least recoil spring and mag spring

Frankly, since defensive ammo works ok my first thought is underpowered ammo - but just a WAG.

ETA - just checked Armorer's manual for 232 under "inconsistent ejection to include trapping brass in the ejection port" and Sig lists four causes:

1. Low quality ammunition
    2. Shooter error (unlocked wrist)
    3. Extractor damaged
    4. Ejector damaged

Regarding your comment about over-lubing, I find that as a cause under "slide does not close completely". My experience is that Sigs like to run a little wet, so I wouldn't think that was the problem.

New Sig 232s need 300 rounds to break them in. I use Finochhi 95 gr ball ammo ($14 a box).

Verify that the spring (guide rod spring) is inserted correctly. The smaller end of the spring sits towards the rear of the gun.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, y'all, going to work on this today (I hope!) and will report back. Some good ideas here.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

Links