Anyone else ever just have a .22 kind of day?

This is a discussion on Anyone else ever just have a .22 kind of day? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I had the day off work yesterday, and since it was a beautiful mid-high 50's, overcast and drizzling kind of day, I headed to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Anyone else ever just have a .22 kind of day?

I had the day off work yesterday, and since it was a beautiful mid-high 50's, overcast and drizzling kind of day, I headed to the range (outdoor).

But, as I was packing up to go, I decided that all that I was going to take were .22s, so I took a Ruger 22/45, a Henry .22 rifle, and a Savage .22 semi-auto. I also had my concealed Glock 36, but wasn't planning on shooting it. Add to that a brick of Federal 36 gr high-velocity HP, and away I went.

My original intent was to spend the day just working on fundamentals for rifle and pistol, so after benching the rifles to make sure the sights were on, I broke out the shooting mat, and shot the 4 standard rifle positions (Offhand, kneeling, sitting, and prone), and shot about 100 rounds through each at 50 yards, making good groups with pretty boring regularity. The prone groups were better than offhand, but that is to be expected. For the rifles and ammo I was shooting with iron sights, I wasn't expecting sub-MOA groups.

So, after I tired of rifle, I moved on to pistol. I started at 7 yards, working on fundamentals. Then moved back to 15, then 25, after I was satisfied with results at 25, I said, what the heck, I'll move back to 50 (I had the range to myself). To make life a bit more interesting, I pulled my truck on the firing line, and used it for cover/support while shooting from 50 yards. I know I have shot pistols at 50 yards before, but made noise more than anything. So, I was quite happy when all 10 of the rounds from my first mag were on the 8x11 piece of paper. 9 of them were actually in about a 4-4 1/2" group, but #10 was a flier, and messed up my group size.

So, after a couple more magazines, I moved back up to under 10 yards, and worked on point shooting, left handed shooting, multiple target engagement, pivots, shooting while moving and things like that.

All told, I went through all 550 rounds in the value pack, and I think it was one of the most productive range days I have had in quite a while. Actually, I would recommend it. As fun as it is to have a bunch of different guns and calibers at the range, only taking .22s made me get more creative in my drills, and focus on good, solid fundamentals. And all that shooting cost me about as much as one box of 50 .45's.

So, now that I shared my story, anyone else ever have a similar range day? I think it was a worthwhile exercise, and am glad I only took my .22s for the day. Oh, here is a picture of the 50 yard target after the first magazine:

IMG_0214.jpg
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    I love shooting .22 and have those days on a fairly regular basis...
    Usually the first hundred or so rounds takes an hour or two... Then it's triple taps and mag dumps with the M&P 15-22 and by the time I'm ready to pack it in it's not unusual to have burned through 1000+ rounds. With twenty 25 round mags that's only one (lengthy) pause to reload the boxes :)
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

I do that also. I take my browning buckmark, H&R 922 snubbie revolver, SA long barrel revolver, and Remington Fieldmaster pump .22. Also my Henry lever .22 magnum. You're right, it is one of the funnest and most productive range sessions you can have. And shoot a lot for next to nothing in cost.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Distinguished Member
    Since I got my 22lr kit for my CZ, I've taken just it to the range twice, both were definitely in the top 5 of the best range trips I've had. One of the main reasons was I shot until I got tired of shooting, usually run out of ammo to shoot with other calibers. I just wish I could be as accurate with my other calibers as I am with 22. Yep love shooting 22, so cheap, easy to shoot and fun.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Lead Moderator
    Yup , 550 lasts about an hour if I am having a fun day.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Sunday was our families .22 day. My son was tearing up some soda cans with his Cricket. My wife was doing the same with her SR22. And I was trying out my new Colt Rail Gun.

We had a blast, and it only cost a few bucks.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

We've sold a number of the Ruger .22 combo kit that we have on the sight now. It was really popular and I think that a large part of that was due to the cost of shooting .22 being so affordable and still a lot of fun! Depending on tonight it may not make it through tomorrow. We may have to see if we can get some more of the combo as well as it sold.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I do that all the time! My favorites are a Ruger single six, a 1915 Stevens favorite, a Remington model 12, and a Marlin 80. all but the Ruger are older than I am. 500 rounds will usually last me all day. DR

My range day did make me realize I should buy more .22s. Like a revolver, and a bolt action (CZ 452?) and some sort of .22 AR, like the M&P 15-22.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Every once in a while, I back it down to a strictly rimfire range trip. Eminently satisfying, and I don't have to chase brass! And I'm far from the only guy doing the same at my range, so there's no overwhelming "shortage of testosterone" factor (not that I care).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    My range day did make me realize I should buy more .22s. Like a revolver, and a bolt action (CZ 452?) and some sort of .22 AR, like the M&P 15-22.
    The CZs are great .22s... the 455 in .22 mag is on my wish list. The ones I've handled feel like their bolts are mounted on ball bearings, compared to my worked-over 77/22.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

There is nothing like shooting your 22 pistol and rifles. I like really shooting my rifles during nice outdoor weather. They are a hoot to shoot and a load of fun.

Some days you want quantity over quality. Or is it that quantity becomes quality?

Eh, however it works out, some days really are just .22 days at the range. Super cheap, and fun. Easier on the shooter too. Such a win win scenario.

Looks like you're not alone buckeye.45...

'Round here a .22 day is a day that ends in "Y" !!!

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    My father-in-law has a Ruger Bearcat...

Love that thing.

If you get a chance, check one out.

Ruger® New Bearcat® Single-Action Revolver Models

"Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links