1911's for Steel Target Shooting?

This is a discussion on 1911's for Steel Target Shooting? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My wife and I have recently gotten into some different kinds of steel target shooting. We use mostly 9mm Glock type guns, but we've noticed ...

Thread: 1911's for Steel Target Shooting?

1911's for Steel Target Shooting?

My wife and I have recently gotten into some different kinds of steel target shooting. We use mostly 9mm Glock type guns, but we've noticed a lot of shooters also use 1911's. I read somewhere that most top flight steel shooters are using 1911's. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?

2. Remove Ads

Makes sense considering a lot of folks say it sometimes takes multiple shots with a 9 to knock down a plate.

Wish I had first hand knowledge. lol

VIP Member
    Makes sense, DA trigger will never be as light or smooth as a SA trigger.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skidboot View Post
    My wife and I have recently gotten into some different kinds of steel target shooting. We use mostly 9mm Glock type guns, but we've noticed a lot of shooters also use 1911's. I read somewhere that most top flight steel shooters are using 1911's. Anyone know if there's any truth to this?
    Certainly some top steel shooters are using 1911s. If you look at the various competition divisions, you'll find the Limited and Production classes to be the most popular, and these are various of the Glocks, XDs, Sigs, CZs, Smiths and Rugers. Behind those in popularity are the Single Stacks which are mostly 1911s, and then Revolvers. But when you get to the Open class with the full-bore race guns, the overwhelming majority of competitors have guns which are built on 1911 platforms.

Last night we had 180 shooters at Tuesday Night Steel. Looking over the entries, 48% shot Limited (basically Production guns with hi-cap mags), 17% shot Production, 13% were Single Stack, 5% Revolvers, and 29% were in Open class. Of the Open guns, I can't think of more than a couple that weren't 1911s.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Personal preference? Personally, I'm more accurate with a SA full size 1911 than I am with a Glock.

VIP Member
    Many competition shooters are shooting highly modified double stack 1911 style pistols in .40 cal. This allows them to get max points from shooting "major power factor" and the extra capacity of a double stack mag. STI and SV are making a killing off of the competitive shooting crowd.

One of STI's limited guns.

Legend_Main.jpg

Links