Don't ever let your guard down!

This is a discussion on Don't ever let your guard down! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wishing you a speedy and full recovery! And thanks for passing along a potent safety reminder to us all....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Don't ever let your guard down!

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery!
    And thanks for passing along a potent safety reminder to us all.
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

2. Remove Ads

DoubleTap .357SIG, eh? Dang. I suppose if you've gotta do it, why not use the best. On the bright side, at least you know how absolutely devastating the round can be. Most folks are only guessing.

My condolences, that you're having to go through a wicked bit of pain. Hopefully it'll leave you with nothing worse than a good reminder of how precious everything is.

Get well.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The part that strikes me, your family didn't wake up to the sound of a gunshot in the house? And a hot load at that.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Reading your story only one word screams in my brain, "WOW"!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Very interesting and wish you a speedy recovery, thanks for sharing.
    US Navy Veteren
    Ruger SP101 357 3" Barrel
    Taurus 65 357 Mag
    Glock 19 Gen3
    Walther PK 380
    www.guntoters.com

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    For reasons just as this I do not keep a firearm within reach when I sleep. I toss, turn, fight far too much, and when awaken, it takes a moment to get my head right. I don't trust myself in that condition.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

It goes without saying that this was not easy for you. The actual incident or the telling of it. I appreciate and understand what you're doing by telling us your story. And for this gun owner it works.

Even though I practice firearm safety it is good to have a stark reminder of what may happen if I slip for even one moment. Thank you for sharing and I hope that you have a speedy recovery.
    oneshot likes this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

This is a great and alarming reminder for us all.

Thanks for posting, BigRay.

Hope your recovery is prompt and complete.

I always envied those people, like my wife, that can fall asleep at the drop of a hat. This story makes me reconsider that. I am sorry this happened to you and I'm glad you will be okay.

P.S. I'm new to the board, so excuse my naivety. What is an OP?

^original poster
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

When my pistols are not on my body, or in a safe, they are in a wallet-style pocket holster such as this:

Found here: Pocket Holsters

I take the flat backing off with the chicago screws.

These might very well have saved the accident you are now suffering from.

Learn from it.........

Quote Originally Posted by relsiswb View Post
    P.S. I'm new to the board, so excuse my naivety. What is an OP?
    OP = Original Post, or Original Poster. As in, "the OP indicated that ..."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

WOW! Glad you are ok,

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    I don't understand how plopping your hand on a weapon causes it to go off nor how that could be considered correct functioning of a weapon.
    I would think a weapon functions correctly when it discharges due to pressure being applied to the trigger (whether intended or by accident. Do you think that perhaps the "plop of his hand" on the Glock could perhaps have depressed the trigger? Stranger things have happened...just sayin...

Everyone keeps telling me how safe Glocks are and how the safety mechanism on them is designed so that they absolutely can't go off unless you deliberately intend to shoot it. I also keep hearing about all these people who keep shooting themselves accidentally with their Glocks. So, what the heck? I would never be so naive as to say a Glock would "never" discharge without the trigger being depressed, HOWEVER, "most" discharges of a Glock, or any other weapon, is due to the intentional depressing of the trigger. Although having NO external safety, when properly handled, the Glock is as safe, if not more so than other weapons carried. I would be curious as to where you find the information as to the "Glock safety mechanism being designed so that they absolutely can't go off unless you deliberately intend to shoot it. ND's occur, not through intention, but the unintentional activation of the trigger mechanism...Also, I'd be interesting in a reference to ALL those stories of people accidentally shooting themselves with their Glocks...just sayin...

I apologize for bringing this up, because I know it's a matter of religious opinion. I don't expect to convince anyone of any particular perspective but I am curious as to what real evidence anyone has that shows that Glocks are safer than other handgun models, because I just don't see it. I too apologize for bringing this up to you, although I am one of those "Glock religious fanatics", as to where anyone, including Glock, has ever said that they are safer than any other handgun model...Because, as YOU say, I "just haven't seen it"...Any weapon, can be unsafe depending upon the handling of it...just sayin

Any kind of positive switch safety that is not automatically deactivated by simply placing your hand on the weapon would have prevented an accident like this. I don't really understand why there seems to be so much hate for traditional safeties when it seems more likely that you will have an unintentional discharge without one. It's amazing that you can arrive at a safety conclusion concerning accidents, as stated in the first sentence of this paragraph...I'd be interesting in seeing your credentials which give you the expertise to arrive at this conclusion...I've never read nor heard from any ... cough cough.. "expert", that the Glock internal safeties are unsafe and that if Glocks had external safeties, they would prevent negligent discharges...Like yourself, but contrary to your conclusion, I DON'T SEE HOW YOU ARRIVE at the conclusion that Glocks, without traditional safeties, are more prone to unintentional discharges than those weapons with external safeties...

All that said, I hope you get better soon. With all that said, I too wish the OP a speedy recovery
    To the OP...wishing you a speedy recovery...Thanks for the safety reminder when it comes to accountability of our weapons...

Now...for "BARDO"...I am a bit perplexed at your post and have tried to address things in "BOLD" above...
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Damn dude. Glad you didn't bleed out and thank you for the lesson. I have been guilty of setting my holstered handguns on the arm of my recliner next to the couch. Usually, I'm crashed out on the couch though. I always keep my guns in their respective holsters, except for my full size 1911 on the nightstand. I think I might invest in a holster for that one too. Get well and stay safe.
    SA MC Operator
    Kimber Ultra CDP II
    G26
    Sig P238

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links