Don't ever let your guard down!

This is a discussion on Don't ever let your guard down! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hope you heal quickly. I'll sleep in a chair, but my EDC stays in the holster....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Don't ever let your guard down!

Hope you heal quickly. I'll sleep in a chair, but my EDC stays in the holster.
    oneshot likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Thanks

Appreciate the post. A good reminder. Thanks and get well.

Man sorry to hear this bro, glad you are ok.

Senior Member Array justherenow's Avatar
    Glad you are going to be ok. I tend to sleep with my 32 laying on the night stand with one in chamber and in a holster, facing away from me. This story has me rethinking that, maybe I will keep it unchambered, just in case and for me to have a similar accident would be fatal, my night stand is at the head of my bed

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    --------------------------
    Gen 4 Glock 32 .357sig and SW M&P 15/22
    Ohio CHL since 1/29/2009
    PA Non-Res 10/12/2010

Those who trade liberty for security have neither. ~John Adams

Thanks for sharing. Hope your recovery continues without issue
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Forgot to mention in my first post that this has definitely changed how I store my 'sleep gun'. I usually have either my G32 or G31 laying on my nightstand (it doesn't have drawers) for quick reach. I'm a very light sleeper and after reading this, I think it being a little less in reach is the way to go. I have since moved it a little further away.

Hope the recovery process is going well for you.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    To the OP;

"Holy razor's edge Batman, that was a close shave!"

Glad you survived to give a firsthand account of how deadly firearms could be, and how nasty a wound is created by my main carry round.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    When my pistols are not on my body, or in a safe, they are in a wallet-style pocket holster such as this:

Found here: Pocket Holsters

I take the flat backing off with the chicago screws.

These might very well have saved the accident you are now suffering from.

Learn from it.........

^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I leave the 442 in a Galco holster, the M&P is either on my side in a De Santis cozy partner, or up in a Remora, and the Kel Tec P11 is in a Nemesis.
    Everything else is Out of sight out of mind.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, as well as for understanding the true meaning behind my OP. I'm recuperating at home now (never realized how long GSWs take to heal since they have to heal from the inside out). Should be no permanent damage, other than some nasty scars. I've also learned some valuable lessons. A long list of seemingly insignificant factors combined to let me make one tiny mistake, and it very nearly killed me. My new motto: If you're not 100% in every way, you should not be around guns. (BTW, the Glock 33 that bit me went to a new home, and allowed me to justify getting the Springfield Trophy Match I've always wanted :-) Now if I can just talk my wife into letting me slip out to the local range this weekend.....
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

I am just about speechless. Glad you are okay.

trigger-locks.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    trigger-locks.
    What on earth do trigger locks have to do with this? If he didn't remember to put the gun in it's holster then what makes you think he'd have remembered to attach a lock? In any event you can't use a trigger lock on a loaded gun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Can't be easy posting that story,sounds like you gripped the gun and pulled the trigger in your sleep,I've seen a few GS wounds posted by people that had ND's and they weren't pretty.Hope you didn't suffer any nerve damage and your lucky you didn't shatter the Femur.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by nazshooter View Post
    What on earth do trigger locks have to do with this? If he didn't remember to put the gun in it's holster then what makes you think he'd have remembered to attach a lock? In any event you can't use a trigger lock on a loaded gun.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    you can if no round is chambered.

I used to unholster my M&P and lay it on the headboard with my glasses and light. One morning while trying to hit at the alarm clock I hit the grip of the pistol instead...one instant I went from half asleep to wide awake realizing what I'd just done. These days I always leave it in the holster...one never knows what they may do while asleep or half asleep.

I elbowed my wife right in the temple one night while "fighting" in a dream I was having. Put a good bruise on her. I've done several things like this while dreaming, I can see somehow grabbing my nightstand pistol and shooting it while asleep.

That is a horribly unfortunate story. I wish you a quick recovery and I am glad you are able to share the story. How I store my carry gun at night has been a constant debate in my mind. I have a dedicated bedside gun in a GunVault safe, but more often than not I plop my holstered gun from that day down on the far end of my night stand in a holster. May rethink that strategy. I appreciate your message and encourage you to share it everywhere, other forums, blogs, etc. I often use a similar story with wound pics from the incident when I am teaching new shooters, I find it helps to put some perspective to the issue of safety.

Best of luck in your recovery!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links