Don't ever let your guard down! - Page 4

Don't ever let your guard down!

This is a discussion on Don't ever let your guard down! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I leave mine unchambered only because I have a dog to alert me to anyone in the house. i also dont know if im capable ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Don't ever let your guard down!

I leave mine unchambered only because I have a dog to alert me to anyone in the house. i also dont know if im capable of sleep shooting. I heard one guy talk about he leaves is loaded under his bed wrapped in news paper, the news paper is used to not only hide the firearm from an intruder but also should allow you time to your head clear incase of any sleep disorders.

the news paper is used to not only hide the firearm from an intruder but also should allow you time to your head clear incase of any sleep disorders
    And to use the rustling sound of the newspaper to alert everyone he's gettin' his gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    you can if no round is chambered.
    What part of "loaded" did you not understand? If he didn't have a round in the chamber he would't need the lock and if he did he couldn't use one.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by nazshooter View Post
    What part of "loaded" did you not understand? If he didn't have a round in the chamber he would't need the lock and if he did he couldn't use one.

a gun can be loaded without a round in the chamber.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Wow. thanks for telling your story. I hope you make a full recovery.

I like ma mace85's idea of using photos to really drive the point home. Here are recent photos that show the entry wound (top) and exit wounds. I'll warn you, they are a bit graphic[ATTACH]63674[/ATTACHeImageUploadedByTapatalk1350674509.670972.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Thanks for posting and I hope your recovery goes well. That looks horrendously painful. I have no doubt these sorts of threads save others from similar accidents...you can't read about these accidents without walking away with a stronger commitment to gun safety.

Ouch! What, if anything, do you think you'll be changing about your system in response to this? Maybe keeping the gun in it's holster when carrying it around? Maybe instead of fixing a holster to the table you could attach a pouch for the holster to slip into?

Wow.....!?! I hope you recover soonest. Thanx for sharing.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Ouch! dang man ..... Thank you for sharing, it takes a big man to step up and tell your story. It's a valuable wakeup call for us. I hope you get well soon.

Ouch. If I may say it this way, I hope we all have learned your lesson.

Peace brother, and may you make a full recovery quickly.

My change in procedure consists of parting with all but my 1911 style pistols, as well as keeping my self defence pistol in a good holster at all times, and mounting a thumb break holster to the side of my recliner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigRay

Springfield TRP Armory Kote, Springfield Trophy Match, Sig Sauer P220R SAO, Glock 35 with Heinie Slant Pro sights, Springfield Armory XDs 45, S&W Model 29 Mountain Gun, PTR-91F in 7.62mm NATO, Springfield M1A1, Sig 556 Patrol Rifle and Benelli M2 with 10-round magazine

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    This is not the way I would want to enable myself to give first hand testimonials though.
    This sentence is almost nonsensical, but I get what you're saying, and it is ridiculous. So let me get this straight - you DO NOT want to shoot yourself? Um, really?

The OP described a freak accident that might help someone avoid a similar situation. In my opinion, it is different than someone mishandling a firearm. It's obviously his fault, but he wasn't being reckless. It was a mistake. There is no need to patronize him.

Some may disagree with that. I'm just saying there is a slight difference between the OP and the ATF agent who shot himself in a classroom full of people. Both are mistakes, but one is more understandable.
    [U]Use of IRONY: Ironic statements (verbal irony)[2] are statements that imply a meaning in opposition to their literal meaning.[/U] A situation is often said to be ironic (situational irony) if there is an "incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result."[3]. Descriptions or depictions of situational irony, whether in fiction or in non-fiction, serves the communicative function of sharpening or highlighting certain discordant features of reality. Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth — or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.

Maybe you need to quit being so "literal" when you read things and lighten up.
    I wasn't patronizing him nor implying anything negatively. I would think the OP knew how I meant the comment and that it was not an attack or negative toward him at all..... especially, when I thanked him for posting it and how it could help others, etc.

I do NOT think the OP was an idiot, he had what I would classify as an awakening and an accident.

But the ATF agent, was a complete idiot.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Wow, I keep my bedroom gun holstered, on top of the TV chest (6'4"), which is a good 3 steps from bed. We have an alarm system, so I should have enough warning to reach it. And I never carry a loaded gun through the house that's not holstered. If it's coming out of the holster, it's to shoot, or unload for whatever I'm getting ready to do with it.

Thanks for sharing though, great reminder, and already making others on DC safer I've noticed.

Yikes. Thanks for posting your story. This is the reason I have my bedside gun in a GunVault.

Hope you have a speedy recovery.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links