Question on 1911 style or exposed hammer guns

This is a discussion on Question on 1911 style or exposed hammer guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; *warning - NEWBIE question* This is probably a dumb question. I've done my search but can't find anything on this topic. If you carry a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Question on 1911 style or exposed hammer guns

*warning - NEWBIE question*

This is probably a dumb question. I've done my search but can't find anything on this topic. If you carry a 1911 style or similar pistol cocked - can the hammer be bumped forward and cause a discharge? Or can the gun only be fired by pulling the trigger?

I'm starting to fall in love with the p238 as a small pocket carry option but this has me worried. Figured I'd through it out to the experts. I know that you typically carry cocked AND locked (meaning safety on - I assume?) but this issue still concerns me.

Single-action autoloading centerfire handguns are regularly & very safely carried in "Condition 1" (loaded chamber, hammer back, safety engaged). There are a LOT of firearms that are carried in the exactly same scenario, you just can't see the hammer. Don't let that freak you out.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Right - my question is - can the hammer be bumped forward and cause the gun to discharge? In other words if I had a round in the chamber and manually pulled the hammer back and then pushed it forward on purpose - would this fire a round?

Not on a modern firearm in good working order.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Not on a 1911. Inertial firing pin. Plus the hammer has a safety catch (sometimes referred to as "half-cock") designed to catch the sear in the event the sear comes off the hammer at full cock. Series 80s also have a firing pin safety that locks the firing pin unless the trigger is pulled. The firing pin requires a full strike from the hammer to fire. It physically isn't long enough to protrude without inertial force.
    That doesn't even consider the manual thumb safety and the grip safety. A 1911 is about as "safe" a pistol as you can get.

Most of the SA/DA models have some sort of trigger activated interlock. Modern DA revolvers have a hammer block so that even if the hammer slips off the sear, unless the trigger is pulled, the firing pin is blocked from being contacted by the hammer.

Bottom line, don't worry about it unless you start monkeying around with it, I suppose if a guy played around with it enough in front of the TV, you might get it to fire.

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_SDG View Post
    Right - my question is - can the hammer be bumped forward and cause the gun to discharge? In other words if I had a round in the chamber and manually pulled the hammer back and then pushed it forward on purpose - would this fire a round?
    Only if you could push it forward hard enough to break the sear, and the odds of that are astronomical.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

With newer firearms, they are designed with various safety measures, depending on the gun type, to prevent you from shooting a round off accidently. Assuming your firearm is maintained properly, there should be minimal risk.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    What I don't like about the P238 (and P938) is that unlike a 1911, there is no grip safety - but there is a harder trigger pull along with the safety.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    With a holster designed to carry the 228 or 938 and a good gun belt, you can carry with confidence. Even if you did flip the thumb safety off, the trigger is protected by the holster.

As long as you practice good gun safety procedures and don't go all DEA, you're good-to-go.

I carry a 1911 daily,I got a better chance of catching Cooties from my wife ,than my hammer hitting the firing pin without me actually pulling the trigger after disengaging the thumb and grip safety
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    As long as you don't touch the trigger, there shouldn't be a problem. DO NOT attempt to pocket carry without a holster to cover the trigger.
    joker1 likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

NMB
    There would have to be a massive mechanical failure. Keep your finger off the trigger, and guns wont go boom.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I have a gun very simlar to the 238, a Colt Government Model 380. I do not use it for pocket carry. I like my LCP much better for pocket carry.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

You need a GLOCK, no pesky hammers or manual safety.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by joker1 View Post
    You need a GLOCK, no pesky hammers or manual safety.
    If Glock comes out with a pocket 380 I'll consider it. I have Ruger SR9c right now and have begun to carry it. But I want to have a smaller 380 as a BUG or when my dress is only suitable for pocket carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links