Defensive Carry banner

Indian Nations and CCW. The Cherokee Nation in NC says YES (in sad story)

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  mlr1m 
#1 ·
It Should've Been A DGU: Luck Runs Out Edition | The Truth About Guns

First, the law: according to Benjamin L. Reed, Chief of Police for the Cherokee Indian Police Department, the Cherokee Nation honors all state concealed carry permits. Mr. Preidt would have been within his legal rights to arm himself.
So, I've always heard that no Native American reservation or Nation allowed CCW. Here's an exception to the rule.

#3 ·
The Qualla Boundary is a land trust not a reservation. While it is under the supervision of the U.S. Bureau of Indian Affairs the land was bought outright after the "Trail of Tears" by a white man, raised by the Cherokees, and turned over to the Indians for their use. This may account for their different rules and regulations.

#4 ·
I've been carrying there since I got my permit. Until this, it's been hard to track down an official position. But I have stronger info than just internet word of mouth telling me it was OK. That's terrible. There are some rough folks in that area, Res and around it. There are way more really good folks. But the bad ones seems to be pretty rough. I lived in the area and worked in Cherokee for a while in college. It's eased up since then. But there were areas you just did not really want to find yourself in back then.

#7 ·
Gonna have to check if that applies to all Cherokee land,my wife is Cherokee,it would be great if we could legally carry if we go on the Reservation for anything

#8 ·
chiefjason, I agree with your assessment. I was born and raised in the area. My Grandmother was full blood. They are "stand-offish" and still don't trust whites. :wink:

dukalmighty, If you are referring to the res in Oklahoma it's a different ballgame. I suspect carry there is a no-no just like all other Federal reservations. May be wrong but I don't think so.

#9 ·
chiefjason, I agree with your assessment. I was born and raised in the area. My Grandmother was full blood. They are "stand-offish" and still don't trust whites. :wink:

dukalmighty, If you are referring to the res in Oklahoma it's a different ballgame. I suspect carry there is a no-no just like all other Federal reservations. May be wrong but I don't think so.
There are no Indian reservations in Oklahoma there are small areas of Tribal owned lads all over the State though. This makes knowing where you're at much more difficult. We have quick shops here that people shop at every day and have no idea that the stores are considered tribal lands.

Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.