Just toured the SWAT team armory!

This is a discussion on Just toured the SWAT team armory! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ I am always concerned when civilian security (police are civiliians) feel the need to be so armed. I am concerned that ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just toured the SWAT team armory!

Quote Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post
    I am always concerned when civilian security (police are civiliians) feel the need to be so armed.
    I am concerned that we need these weapons due to the fact that criminals are often better armed than we are. If I can avoid it, I wont engage a thug with an AK with my pistol. You better believe we feel the need to be this armed. Our thugs are toting AK's, AR's (some which are really nicely equipped!), Mac 10's and the like. Plenty of full auto weapons are floating around.

Also, in the aresenal described, these also include seized weapons. I would highly doubt that the M60E3 is riding in a patrol car somewhere

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by kb2wji View Post
    I am concerned that we need these weapons due to the fact that criminals are often better armed than we are. If I can avoid it, I wont engage a thug with an AK with my pistol. You better believe we feel the need to be this armed. Our thugs are toting AK's, AR's (some which are really nicely equipped!), Mac 10's and the like. Plenty of full auto weapons are floating around.

Also, in the aresenal described, these also include seized weapons. I would highly doubt that the M60E3 is riding in a patrol car somewhere
    Yes a common response. A police officers job is not to make war. If anything, police officers should be less armed than citizens. I have to be concerned, with the abuse of power that police are apt to, that police are armed in this way.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

VIP Member
    I feel for the new hires. I'd take being pepper sprayed (We use Top Cop) every day for the rest of my life before I'd volunteer to get tazed again.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Out of curiosity, what PD was this?
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

For those of you native to this great nation, you don't know.

When things break down, when the government fails, when there is no supervision, these weapons will be used against you. I have seen it. The officers safety must be secondary to the abuses that WILL be committed. Seen it, lived it, know it.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

taser day is always fun according to my BIL. LOL

I was standing by for EMS coverage when they first alowed EMTs and paramedics to remove Taser darts in the field. When we were treating a new-hire who had one kind of bent sideways in his back we got to talking with the instructor and he mentioned that Taser had a video where they shocked something like 200 people at one time with one gun and dropped them all.

For those not familiar, they attach a dart to one persons ankle, then a line of people link arms and they attach the other to the far persons ankle. Everybody kneels down and they fire the charge. In a word.... Wow.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

^ I would still rather be tased than OC'd. The taser was rough, but its over in 5 seconds. You dont even feel the darts (going in or coming out) That OC messed me up for a long time.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    The New Orleans shooting in the early 1970s was Mark Essex, a nut with a pistol caliber carbine who did what 30-40 years later would be called a Mumbai style shooting (or was Mumbai an Essex style shooting).

Supposedly he was "shot by the police" but there were armed soldiers or Marines involved with automatic weapons and a helicopter.
    Different New Orleans shooting. The one I am referring to involved a robbery gone bad. Suspects allegedly entered the building and were reported to be in the stairwell. New Orleans cops were the shooters. Suspects were not in the stairwell and were never apprehended. This one happened in the late seventies.

That shooting I hadn't heard of. I can't imagine cutting loose with a .50 in a crowded area. Well, in the U.S. anyway.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links