Just toured the SWAT team armory!

This is a discussion on Just toured the SWAT team armory! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My fire station sits between a prison, two jails, and two firing ranges, one public and one LEO. The Sheriff's Office was putting a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just toured the SWAT team armory!

Just toured the SWAT team armory!

My fire station sits between a prison, two jails, and two firing ranges, one public and one LEO. The Sheriff's Office was putting a couple dozen new hires through OC/CS training today and we were asked to stand by for EMS.

The new guys and girls get sprayed on the forehead with Freeze +P brand spray, then they run a bit, punch a dummy, run over to a punching bag and do knee strikes, do a weapon retention thing, shoot two Sim rounds at a 7 yard target, then cuff a downed dummy. Then they are free to wash off, cuss, choke, cry, etc. But anyway...

Afterwards I was asking one of the instructors about the blue Glock and the sims rounds and got to fire a couple at the steel target. That led in to a discussion about duty ammo (180gr Gold Dot .40, 55gr Federal bonded JSP in .233, Federal OO low recoil with Flite Control wad 12ga, and 102gr Gold Saber .380). Then that led to a discussion about ammo for a rifle I'm building for an officer in another agency, which eventually led me to thier armory....

At that point I believe I may have died and went to heaven. Imagine a rack of pre-1986 M16A1s, some FA, most semi. A couple of Colt Commandos, 40mm Penn Arms launchers, A half dozen AR15s (siezed guns) an Arsenal AK (seized) a couple of pistol grip Mossberg 500s (seized) various handguns and hunting rifles (siezed). They use the seized guns for scenario training and familiarization, and occasionally for spare parts. There was a rack of civillian paintball guns amd some Pepperball launchers and a half dozen LTL shotgun setups. There was also a rack of three MP5-Ns one of which had a suppressor ("oh, some factory rep dropped it off for us to test, but then he got fired or quit and they never asked for it back"). Oh, and the M60E3 and the M2 .50. Plus 250,000 rounds of .40 FMJ, 50,000 of framgible for the steel range, and 60,000 of Gold Dot. Plus cases of 9mm 147gr and stacks of 12ga. Arwen gun ammo, gas, pepperballs, etc. It was fascinating, a great learning experience, and all in all a good day spent with fellow gun nuts. I even got an invite to bring the kids over when its time drive the M113 APC around, my kids love those things. When they come to the station they get bored with fire trucks "lets go see the tanks dad!"

And no new hires were harmed, although there was some vomit and some whining. Taser day is in another month, we'll see what happens then.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Sounds like a pretty awesome day, to me.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

This guy is jealous!

Ditto on the jealous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Oh, and the M60E3 and the M2
    Casually mentioned, like "oh, a Crosman and a Daisy Red Rider..." !!!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    I even got an invite to bring the kids over when its time drive the M113 APC around, my kids love those things. When they come to the station they get bored with fire trucks "lets go see the tanks dad!"

Taser day is in another month, we'll see what happens then.
    Bring the kids to the Taser day, as well. That'll surely be an eye-opener for them.

Sounds like it was a good day.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I am always concerned when civilian security (police are civiliians) feel the need to be so armed.
    English is my second language, I have been told my use of it is harsh, apologies if this is the matter.

You know what stops a bad guy with a gun? A good guy with a gun

I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's I believe it happened in San Francisco CA.,they had a Robbery or something and the BG's were holed up in a stairwell in a high rise behind a fire rated steel door.some genius decided to "borrow" a M2 50 bmg from the national guard to shoot thru the door and get them to surrender.
    The bullets ricocheted off the door causing collateral damage to property and civilians on the streets below.They stopped shooting pretty quick.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    dukalmighty, I believe the situation was in New Orleans. The bad guys were thought to be behind a steel door leading onto the roof and the cops on the roof opened fire. A ricochet, or ricochets, struck one or two of the officers in the legs. No civilians were injured. I believe the officer was shooting a Thompson sub.

Administrator
    Nice Eye Candy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would say I hate you but... I would much rather have you as a friend.
    Question are looking to adopt?
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

The New Orleans shooting in the early 1970s was Mark Essex, a nut with a pistol caliber carbine who did what 30-40 years later would be called a Mumbai style shooting (or was Mumbai an Essex style shooting).

Supposedly he was "shot by the police" but there were armed soldiers or Marines involved with automatic weapons and a helicopter.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

No one else noticed this yet?" There was also a rack of three MP5-Ns one of which had a suppressor ("oh, some factory rep dropped it off for us to test, but then he got fired or quit and they never asked for it back") :), free mp5 suppressed?
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by mulle46 View Post
    No one else noticed this yet?" There was also a rack of three MP5-Ns one of which had a suppressor ("oh, some factory rep dropped it off for us to test, but then he got fired or quit and they never asked for it back") :), free mp5 suppressed?

Yes... Plus they have access to keep any of the seized and confiscated guns to use for "training" or "familiarization". One of their Commandos had a cracked frame so they dropped the (10 inch) upper onto a seized Olympic lower until they get a replacement from Colt. And it seems that keeping a full auto M16A1 for "(messing) around" is no big deal. nor is switching auto sears in and out of rifles. And when there's too much ammo to shoot up when it comes time to switch out duty ammo, well then they just have to suck it up and go shoot.

Every night I wish there was some way to repeal the FOPA of 1986. This is the way I want the world to be. One big happy suppressed machinegun, SBR, SBS world where nobody cares if you shoot suppressed and $1000 guns still cost $1000 and putting a short upper on a lower or a stock on a pistol with a foregrip isn't a federal felony. Is that too much to ask?

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I remember back in the late 60's or early 70's I believe it happened in San Francisco CA.,they had a Robbery or something and the BG's were holed up in a stairwell in a high rise behind a fire rated steel door.some genius decided to "borrow" a M2 50 bmg from the national guard to shoot thru the door and get them to surrender.
    The bullets ricocheted off the door causing collateral damage to property and civilians on the streets below.They stopped shooting pretty quick.

True story from a local PD, early 1990s. A wave of federal grant money came in and this small agency got some new stuff including an MP5 SD. Their SWAT-type unit got it and test fired it on the range a lot (and I got to help there, too. that and an MP5K). Duty ammo at the time was a 147gr subsonic as was in fashion.

Side note for you new kids, in the old days the 147gr 9mm sucked and that's why dinosaurs like me don't trust it. Performance on the street was not very good, which led us all to the explosion of the .40. Newer 147gr may be good now, back then it wasn't.

There was a night where the team needed or wanted to shoot out a streetlight before some entry, so the command decided to use the SD. When they fired it (3 times!) the rounds bounced off the glass and flew downrange to strike two houses and one car (that had an old school car alarm). The neighborhood was not as quiet a place as they had hoped after that.

Note for the new kids. The MP5SD has a ported barrel. It is designed to reduce the velocity of a standard supersonic round to subsonic, making the shot quieter for lack of a supersonic "crack". When you start with a sucky round thats subsonic to begin with, then bleed off a ton of the propellent gas with an integral suppressor and make it even slower...

It's been a long time but I seem to remember the investigation finding the round going right around 700 fps.

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links