Defensive Carry banner

If you could design your own firearms, what would features would you have?

2K views 25 replies 24 participants last post by  Hekkenschutze 
#1 ·
Just imagine you have your own machine shop and have the know how to design your own firearms. What features would you want?

Everything from concealed to machine guns if you want?

#3 ·
A 12 ga. pistol, no bigger than my Kahr P45.

With a 30-round magazine, of course.

I'd have to learn how to make 4 pounds of steel fit into a 2 pound bag, though......

No, seriously....pistols with thin grips, like 1911's and Kahrs. No black on black sights. A magazine release that you can operate while holding the gun,one-handed, in firing position. Ambidextrous everything.

Rifles? Short, powerful, thin-gripped, short bolt throw, claw extractor, smmoooooth, tight, action.

Shotgun? How about a SXS that isn't either a coach gun OR a 28" flag pole? a 22" or 24", maybe? In 12 ga. w/ a 3 1/2" chambers. Ejectors that would send the shell into the next county. Double triggers. Thin grip. Ghost ring sights on BOTH barrels, not some middle sighted deal.

AND an 18" SXS, 12 ga., w/ 3 1/2" chambers (I'd love to see the Goblin who breaks into my house after 2 3 1/2" Lightfield Slugs perforate him. Wouldn't need an ambulance or even a hearse.

A fire truck (with hose) maybe, though.......

#4 ·
Ambi- safety
Night sights
Selectable semi or full auto
Thin grip
Easy to conceal
Finish that is oblivious to ANY dirt, rust, sweat...etc...
Easy to clean
Hi- capacity....Sorry I mean LARGE CAPACITY!
'Smart-gun'- my version of this is the bullets going EXACTLY where I want them to, EVERYTIME

--maybe even selectable ammunition, WITHOUT RELOADING: explosive, armor piercing, incendiary rounds

#5 ·
From a business standpoint I would say that Kimber made a crapload of money capitalizing on the "custom 1911" out of the box idea.

I would carry this mentality over to the "tactical craze" and offer a glock-type pistol with built in laser-light and quality night sights right out of the box. Four mags included, a leg holster, and a money saving coupon to "XYZ Tactical Training Seminar" would round out the package.

#6 ·
Well seeing as I like military and concealed carry style weapons that would be the only thing I'd focus on.

Rifles would be semi-auto. Fully-ambi controls. Offered in .308 and .223. Picitanny rails. Flip up iron sights. Same style as the FN SCAR.

Any pistol I think I would make would look very similar to Sigs. I just love them so much. However I would make 2 new models.

1st would be a double stack 45acp offered in 4.4" and 5" models. Threaded barrel, night sights, accessory rail.

2nd would be a true pocket sized pistol with the legendary reliability and styled after the Sig 239. It would be 9mm, single stack, aluminum frame, stainless slide, DAK trigger, between a Rohrbaugh and Kahr in size, under 16oz loaded, 6 round flush fit mags, same takedown, under an inch thick, low profile sights, melted treatment, and flush hammer.

I'm not very original, but I know what I like.

#7 ·
I have long toyed with the idea for the ultimate shotgun. It is an SXS semi auto, with dual triggers. The feed system would have to be pretty complicated, or else you would have to have two ammo tubes on it.

Another idea involves feeding it from the stock, but that would make the grip prohibitavlely large.

#9 ·
A single action 9mm sized for jeans pocket

I would want a single action 9mm sized to fit in my jeans pocket. That is, one designed to be carried cocked and locked.

Should have grip safety, and thumb safety, safe decocking, and be ambidextrous.

If it won't fit in my pocket--including holster, it is too large.

In other words, something like a Colt Mustang but with an added grip safety, ambextrous thumb safety, decoking mechanism, and 9 mm instead of 380.

#12 ·
HK P2000 (at least 12rounds mag capacity) and 2000SK (at least 10rounds mag capacity) in .45AUTO; magazines of full size would fit the compact; Lasergrips; and a freaking holster maker that actually makes a decent holster for the damn gun within 30 days of starting the first production run.

Am I asking for too much?

#14 ·
For carry:

DA/SA

THIN

Adjustible sights that won't snag / loose zero

Relatively long barrel (for carry) - 3.75in- 4in

Great trigger

Short grip for concealment

"Large capacity" mags with sleeves so you can make the grip larger if desired. (I could carry it with a small mag for deep concealment but carry 2 full size mags. When it was easier to conceal I might just use a larger mag in the gun. - My choice. Either way, I'd have plenty of rounds available.

Of course reliability would be extremely important!

#16 ·
My lefty 1911 to start. Engineer lefty mag release-though a trigger finger and a light release work great, I think the same thing on the right side might be better-no $70 S&A release. Slide release works great on the left side of the gun, but make a release that is dropped a bit and/or has a sharp shelf for the trigger finger. Again, a picky deal but could be a real improvement. No grip safety in the frame, like Novak's "Answer" but take away concerns of removing a factory safety. Built-in Caspian style mag well. I'd like an ambi-safety that won't walk out. I think it's been done with the King's/pin system but there was another sytem out at one time. Drop the safety like the Gunsite Low type, but not quite so much-and I have a shape in mind, but can't describe it.
As you can tell, an improved lefty 1911 is my only interest.

#17 ·
It would be completely left-handed. To the point that if any right handed person tried to use it, it wouldn't work. :gah:

That's about all I'd care for.

#18 ·
Being southpaw and noticing many posts concerning left handed controls, I'll chime in:
Semi-Auto;
.45 acp;
3 inch barrel;
Left ejection port;
Left handed (right side) thumb safety;
Left handed (right side) magazine eject;
Grip safety;
Decocker;
10+1 capacity;
Lighter than 27 ounces unloaded;

#20 ·
I own and have owned most of the major manufacturers - Glock, Sig, Beretta, XD, 1911s, USP, S&W, and maybe a few others.

At this point, I find Glock becoming more and more difficult to ignore. Meaning, the same trigger pull every time, minimum of parts, very reliable, accurate, etc. So the features I would want are pretty well summed up in a Glock.

There are two exceptions. I'd prefer a longer trigger pull, more like a DAK trigger, and ambi mag releases like a USP. Speaking of USPs, they've got about what I'd ask for in a handgun but the DA trigger is in desparate need of help.

#21 ·
maximum corrosion resistance
XS big dot night sights (fixed)
wood grips with checking
DAO action on revolver and LDA on semi
----
a revolver in .44 special, same size as sp101 snubby
a semi-auto in 10mm, same size as my para 12.45 LDA

#22 ·
I'd start with the Glock 23, give it removable grip plates, "checkering" on the bottom of the trigger guard, inserts to change the size of the grip, NY1 trigger with a (-) connector, no rail, express sights, match grade barrel, and something to prevent the problems of a dirty firing pin channel.

On a rifle I would build the M-16 a2 with full auto capabilities, a slightly larger front sight, and it would shoot 7.62 without getting much larger and heavier and would come with a third sling swivel near the gas ring.

For a smg, give me the MP-5 with the charging handle and safety configuration on an AR.

And on a final note, I'd build a revolver. It would be identical to the S&W model 66, because you cannot improve on perfection.

#23 ·
My ideal pistol would take features from the XD line and combine them a 1911. The one thing I'm absolutely sold on with my XD is I like the quick tear down with that side lever you just flip up. I like the trigger and back strap safety, and double stack .45 BUT I prefer a metal weapon for winter because 40 below does some weird things and I just don't want to trust a plastic pistol if It's dropped a chance the handle could bust. I want a slide that as smooth as glass and selective fire in the off chance I wanted to go full auto. Tactical rail with a lazer.

I like the idea of a magazine you just shove in a shotgun and keep firing

Then more for scopes I would like a push button feature to change the filters on it include a range finder. (yes it would violate the KISS principle but it would be nice.)

#24 ·
On a more humorous note, I would like to have one that places the rounds where I desire them to go, not just where my ability to aim sends them.

#25 ·
I would like to take a 5" para ordinance high capacity .45 slim it down just a bit to around a 10 or 11 round capacity so it is not so wide. make it a da/sa with a spurred hammer with the lda trigger on the first shot, the ability to carry it cocked and locked as well as a manual decocker like the sig's and an ambidextrous magazine release like the hk's. put a set of night sites and an easily removable light rail that would be my ideal carry gun. also a sig p220 .45 with a higher capacity would be nice too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.