If you could design your own firearms, what would features would you have?

This is a discussion on If you could design your own firearms, what would features would you have? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just imagine you have your own machine shop and have the know how to design your own firearms. What features would you want? Everything from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could design your own firearms, what would features would you have?

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar

Just imagine you have your own machine shop and have the know how to design your own firearms. What features would you want?

Everything from concealed to machine guns if you want?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Well in a rifle since im a left ambi safety would of course be a must and for all autoloader a downward eject or downward angle eject

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    A 12 ga. pistol, no bigger than my Kahr P45.

With a 30-round magazine, of course.

I'd have to learn how to make 4 pounds of steel fit into a 2 pound bag, though......

No, seriously....pistols with thin grips, like 1911's and Kahrs. No black on black sights. A magazine release that you can operate while holding the gun,one-handed, in firing position. Ambidextrous everything.

Rifles? Short, powerful, thin-gripped, short bolt throw, claw extractor, smmoooooth, tight, action.

Shotgun? How about a SXS that isn't either a coach gun OR a 28" flag pole? a 22" or 24", maybe? In 12 ga. w/ a 3 1/2" chambers. Ejectors that would send the shell into the next county. Double triggers. Thin grip. Ghost ring sights on BOTH barrels, not some middle sighted deal.

AND an 18" SXS, 12 ga., w/ 3 1/2" chambers (I'd love to see the Goblin who breaks into my house after 2 3 1/2" Lightfield Slugs perforate him. Wouldn't need an ambulance or even a hearse.

A fire truck (with hose) maybe, though.......

VIP Member
    Ambi- safety
    Night sights
    Selectable semi or full auto
    Thin grip
    Easy to conceal
    Finish that is oblivious to ANY dirt, rust, sweat...etc...
    Easy to clean
    Hi- capacity....Sorry I mean LARGE CAPACITY!
    'Smart-gun'- my version of this is the bullets going EXACTLY where I want them to, EVERYTIME

--maybe even selectable ammunition, WITHOUT RELOADING: explosive, armor piercing, incendiary rounds
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

From a business standpoint I would say that Kimber made a crapload of money capitalizing on the "custom 1911" out of the box idea.

I would carry this mentality over to the "tactical craze" and offer a glock-type pistol with built in laser-light and quality night sights right out of the box. Four mags included, a leg holster, and a money saving coupon to "XYZ Tactical Training Seminar" would round out the package.
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

Well seeing as I like military and concealed carry style weapons that would be the only thing I'd focus on.

Rifles would be semi-auto. Fully-ambi controls. Offered in .308 and .223. Picitanny rails. Flip up iron sights. Same style as the FN SCAR.

Any pistol I think I would make would look very similar to Sigs. I just love them so much. However I would make 2 new models.

1st would be a double stack 45acp offered in 4.4" and 5" models. Threaded barrel, night sights, accessory rail.

2nd would be a true pocket sized pistol with the legendary reliability and styled after the Sig 239. It would be 9mm, single stack, aluminum frame, stainless slide, DAK trigger, between a Rohrbaugh and Kahr in size, under 16oz loaded, 6 round flush fit mags, same takedown, under an inch thick, low profile sights, melted treatment, and flush hammer.

I'm not very original, but I know what I like.

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have long toyed with the idea for the ultimate shotgun. It is an SXS semi auto, with dual triggers. The feed system would have to be pretty complicated, or else you would have to have two ammo tubes on it.

Another idea involves feeding it from the stock, but that would make the grip prohibitavlely large.

What about mags on the shottie.

VIP Member

A single action 9mm sized for jeans pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    Just imagine you have your own machine shop and have the know how to design your own firearms. What features would you want?

Everything from concealed to machine guns if you want?
    I would want a single action 9mm sized to fit in my jeans pocket. That is, one designed to be carried cocked and locked.

Should have grip safety, and thumb safety, safe decocking, and be ambidextrous.

If it won't fit in my pocket--including holster, it is too large.

In other words, something like a Colt Mustang but with an added grip safety, ambextrous thumb safety, decoking mechanism, and 9 mm instead of 380.

Identical 10mm 1911s with rail and night sights; one for carry, the other with a light mounted for the nightstand. 10mm bullpup that uses the same mags for the car.

you know i really like the size of the kahrs.....but maybe with the added grip safety and the reliability of the glock and xd =O) also a sa/da would be kewl with decocker......would have to see what it looked like...lol

HK P2000 (at least 12rounds mag capacity) and 2000SK (at least 10rounds mag capacity) in .45AUTO; magazines of full size would fit the compact; Lasergrips; and a freaking holster maker that actually makes a decent holster for the damn gun within 30 days of starting the first production run.

Am I asking for too much?

Auto sensor that would tell me when the sights are lined properly, My vision keeps getting worse, hard to see the sights.

For carry:

DA/SA

THIN

Adjustible sights that won't snag / loose zero

Relatively long barrel (for carry) - 3.75in- 4in

Great trigger

Short grip for concealment

"Large capacity" mags with sleeves so you can make the grip larger if desired. (I could carry it with a small mag for deep concealment but carry 2 full size mags. When it was easier to conceal I might just use a larger mag in the gun. - My choice. Either way, I'd have plenty of rounds available.

Of course reliability would be extremely important!

Laszer beams are a must. not really, never really gave it any thought. ill think about it and get back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links