What firearm regulations do you support? (anonymous poll)

This is a discussion on What firearm regulations do you support? (anonymous poll) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by zacii That's the point id rather force criminals to steal guns, buy them from shady characters.....or even not buy them at all...than ...

View Poll Results: What firearm regulations do you support?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Permits for handguns.

10 11.90%
  • Permits for ALL firearms.

5 5.95%
  • Background check for private handgun sales.

8 9.52%
  • Background check for ALL private fireams sales.

16 19.05%
  • Limit handgun purchases to 1 per month.

1 1.19%
  • Limit ALL firearms purchases to one per month.

0 0%
  • Magazine limits for handguns.

2 2.38%
  • Magazine limits for ALL firearms.

2 2.38%
  • Microstamping for all guns

0 0%
  • None of the above

40 47.62%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree146Likes

Thread: What firearm regulations do you support? (anonymous poll)

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    That's the point
    id rather force criminals to steal guns, buy them from shady characters.....or even not buy them at all...than sell to them at the local gun store.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I like the way you capitalized the word impossible, as if doing so would actually make your assertions become true.
    if we regulate handgun purchases to one per month, the only way someone can buy lots of guns and sell those guns to criminals..is if he makes the original purchases illegally.

right now, he can make those original purchases legally.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    if we regulate handgun purchases to one per month, the only way someone can buy lots of guns and sell those guns to criminals..is if he makes the original purchases illegally.

Or they can get the ATF to do it

Echo_Four likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Not true, he gets his whole posse to buy, and then they collaborate.

But, if he buys with the intent of re-selling illegally, which is what buying in one state, and selling in another is without going through a FFL for pistols, he is already buying illegally, so none of the purchases are legal. They all meet the definition of a "straw purchase" which is illegal. And also means that the buyer is lying on the background form 4473.
    limatunes, Echo_Four and Doodle like this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First off, criminals cannot buy guns. Thats what the background checks take care of, right?
    And secondly, hows the gun restrictions in NYC working out for ya? With those tough laws in place, that cess pool should be a real Utopia.
    rocky likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Moderator
    Pythius...

It seems to me that you may be a little misinformed on what is ALREADY law.

We ALREADY have common sense gun laws that work VERY well at keeping your average-joe criminal from walking into a gun store and purchasing a firearm legally.

As buckeye pointed out.. If you are buying a firearm with the intention of selling or giving it to someone else who cannot legally buy for him or herself, then you are ALREADY committing a crime (and you haven't even taken possession of the firearm yet).

Buying for someone who cannot own legally is a straw purchase and against the law.

It is illegal for felons to own or possess firearms.
    It is illegal for persons to sell across state lines.
    It is illegal to purchase a firearm to give or sell to someone who cannot legally buy a firearm for himself.

These are ALREADY laws .. what I would call "common sense" gun regulations.

And there are systems in place to catch these people.

In VA, if you purchase more than 5 firearms in a day the dealer has to submit a "multiple purchase" paper detailing the guns you bought, your information, etc. That has to be sent immediately to the ATF (or was it FBI, I don't remember now) and.. guess what? If any of those firearms turn up in any street corner shootings, you can bet your britches someone is going to get a knock on the door real soon.

You keep talking about these multiple purchases being transported and sold and so many accusations but you've repeatedly ignored requests for viable information to support those claims.

We keep hearing this fear-mongering that firearms are legally being bough and then sold across state lines... Where's the proof? Where's the proof that this is happening and the proof that a one-gun-a-month law would stop it?

Please, I'm very willing to discuss the matter but I want a little more than theory if I'm to be convinced this is worth my time and consideration.

@Pythius

Let me guess...this poll is your way of determining that your beliefs and your values are not in alignment with the majority of members on this forum.

Sounds like you probably want to continue to "argue" your position on imposing regulation as an attempt to restrict the powers of the US Constitution. Since this forum is dedicated to helping individuals who are interested in discussing defensive carry issues and it seems like you might be an intelligent person, I'm sure you should have no trouble finding and joining an appropriate forum which is dedicated to the topic of altering the US Constitution. I wish you luck with your search.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

limiting gun-purchases to one-per-month, makes the criminal enterprise of a gun-runner...very very costly and unprofitable.
    And it's already a crime to sell to people who are ineligible to own or purchase firearms!

- Federal Form 4473 requires the purchaser to swear under penalties of perjury that all answers given are truthful. Think that's an effective deterrent?

- FFL's are held accountable in the cases of "straw purchasers". Does that stop straw purchases?

- Limiting gun sales to one a month - in states with that limitation, has that stopped illegal sales?

- Do speed limits effectively prevent speeding?

If you can come up with one, single rule or law or restriction that actually has a chance of keeping guns out of the hands of people who will misuse them, I'd be willing to listen and give it serious consideration. But if you were to come up with such a rule, I would demand that all other "inconveniences" (as you call them) be terminated. You absolutely need to sunset ineffective laws before enacting new ones. Otherwise, you set the stage for increasingly restrictive rules for gun ownership which deny the protections of our Constitution yet which in fact do little to prevent illegal use but make legislators (like Carolyn McCarthy and Chuck Schumer) feel good.
    HotGuns, Doodle and Glhadiator like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member

Straw purchases, which is what you are describing are already illegal, so buying with the intent to resell to someone otherwise unqualified to buy is already punishable by up to ten years in prison.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    I'm just curious here... is there any evidence of someone buying several legal handguns in one state, at one time, and transporting them to another for criminal purposes? Has this actually happened?
    Yes, we have a guy that was arrested from Ohio that was stocking up on Hi Points and selling them in Buffalo. I think it ought to raise suspicion when someone is purchasing tens of hundreds of guns, all similar make and model. He said he was "stocking up" to open a gun store.

id rather force criminals to steal guns, buy them from shady characters.....or even not buy them at all...than sell to them at the local gun store.
    Just how many gunshops do you have in Queens?

And,I'm having a hard time understanding that statement of yours...

It would seem that you lump law abiding gunowners in the same group as felons.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    Yes, we have a guy that was arrested from Ohio that was stocking up on Hi Points and selling them in Buffalo. I think it ought to raise suspicion when someone is purchasing tens of hundreds of guns, all similar make and model. He said he was "stocking up" to open a gun store.
    So, he was caught, and arrested, even though we don't have a one gun a month law here in the buckeye state?

As I've noted, he was already illegally purchasing the weapons as a straw buyer.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Quote Originally Posted by GrandBob View Post
    Just how many gunshops do you have in Queens?

And,I'm having a hard time understanding that statement of yours...

It would seem that you lump law abiding gunowners in the same group as felons.
    most gun-crimes in NYC are committed with guns from OUTSIDE our state.

that means jerks are buying lots of handguns in other states, driving to our city...and selling guns to anyone who wants a gun.

if this illegal gun dealer could only legally buy one gun a month...or every 2-weeks, his criminal enterprise would shut down very quickly.

Senior Moderator
    Pythius...
    if someone is transporting guns across state lines for the sole purpose of profit...you know that it is already ILLEGAL without an FFL right?

Just how exactly would passing another law impede them?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

most gun-crimes in NYC are committed with guns from OUTSIDE our state.

that means jerks are buying lots of handguns in other states, driving to our city...and selling guns to anyone who wants a gun.

if this illegal gun dealer could only legally buy one gun a month...or every 2-weeks, his criminal enterprise would shut down very quickly.
    Currently, he is not buying any guns legally if that is what he is doing. I notice you keep ignoring my posts pointing this out.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Links