Bought new gun looks like used??

This is a discussion on Bought new gun looks like used?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Oddly its expensive guns that come in dirty,yet even cheap ones are test fired,new Hipoint 45 jhp,Taurus Pt22 both came in squeeky clean. Purchased a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bought new gun looks like used??

  1. #16
    Member Array lilmule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Buchanan,Tn
    Posts
    63
    Oddly its expensive guns that come in dirty,yet even cheap ones are test fired,new Hipoint 45 jhp,Taurus Pt22 both came in squeeky clean.
    Purchased a used PA63 and a Llama 32acp both came in clean even used.
    For that kind of money they fly a tech to my home and clean the thing.
    So for 200 and under one gets a clean gun,called service and yes would send them pics and a piece of mind.
    Customer service after the fact doesnt help with proper service you wouldnt need them.
    And agree more than a couple of test fires more like 20-30 rds.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Member Array RAC55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    78
    I don't know, but going by the pic of the breech, there looks like a lot of brass residue around the firing pin area...a lot more than just some test fire rounds. Every new gun I ever bought was spotless, but I haven't bought a new gun in a few years (as I'm into my collecting stage buying mostly C&R guns). I don't know if the companies are testing them to a greater degree before they release them these days? But the least they can do is clean the gun nicely before they ship it out. BTW, does the shop where it was purchased have a firing range???
    wingryder likes this.

  4. #18
    VIP Member
    Array archer51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    21,196
    Don't see a problem with the dirty gun, as others have said, shot at the factory and no way of knowing how many rounds were put through it before it was deemed ready to sale. As to no spent casing, again not a problem. There is no requirement to include a fired casing. Many manufacturers do not include one unless being sold in a state that require it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

    USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

  5. #19
    Member Array wingryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    26.36, -81.26
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    I don't know, but going by the pic of the breech, there looks like a lot of brass residue around the firing pin area...a lot more than just some test fire rounds. Every new gun I ever bought was spotless, but I haven't bought a new gun in a few years (as I'm into my collecting stage buying mostly C&R guns). I don't know if the companies are testing them to a greater degree before they release them these days? But the least they can do is clean the gun nicely before they ship it out. BTW, does the shop where it was purchased have a firing range???
    That was my first thought... far to much brass residue. AND, as you stated, I would also be curious if they had a firing range, perhaps their employees were taking guns on a joy ride before selling.

    I would look for the tell-tale slide wear on the barrel... that will tell you if there were more than a "few" rounds fired through it as well.

  6. #20
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by RAC55 View Post
    I don't know, but going by the pic of the breech, there looks like a lot of brass residue around the firing pin area...a lot more than just some test fire rounds. Every new gun I ever bought was spotless, but I haven't bought a new gun in a few years (as I'm into my collecting stage buying mostly C&R guns). I don't know if the companies are testing them to a greater degree before they release them these days? But the least they can do is clean the gun nicely before they ship it out. BTW, does the shop where it was purchased have a firing range???
    Yes it does, it is also a big box gun store type. Not a small home town gun shop. Called hoffmans guns for the good guys in Connecticut.

  7. #21
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    That was my first thought... far to much brass residue. AND, as you stated, I would also be curious if they had a firing range, perhaps their employees were taking guns on a joy ride before selling.

    I would look for the tell-tale slide wear on the barrel... that will tell you if there were more than a "few" rounds fired through it as well.
    Oh you mean this? Lol

  8. #22
    VIP Member Array Eagleks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    7,654
    That's how all mine look since they started doing the firing and casing thing....... Springfield , Kahr (dirtier than them all), S&W, etc. Yours doesn't look that bad at all, and is clean compared to some I've gotten. It's due to the Mfgr firing. If they have any issue at all, they may "adjust" , and then they'll refire about 10-20 rds thru it to make sure it's right.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

  9. #23
    Member Array wingryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    26.36, -81.26
    Posts
    102
    I was mostly talking about on the barrel where it protrudes through the slide as it is cycled. But I realize that your barrel isn't blued so this may not work for you. On glocks, the bluing gets rubbed of after very few rounds.

    barrels.jpg

  10. #24
    Senior Member
    Array StevePVB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,024
    I'm not sure when a gun becomes used. When a gun dealer lets a potential customer test fire it has it become used if they decide not to buy it?

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array tokerblue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,339
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    Yes it does, it is also a big box gun store type. Not a small home town gun shop. Called hoffmans guns for the good guys in Connecticut.
    - I'm also from CT. I really doubt that Hoffman's would let someone use a new gun in their range and sell it as new. They have an enormous used gun section as it is and the guns they use in the range are all in the same display. As others have mentioned, it most likely came out of the factory and didn't get a good cleaning. The dirt on the slide serrations is probably due to a lot of customers handling the gun.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

  12. #26
    Administrator
    Array QKShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Off Of The X
    Posts
    35,153
    Factoring in the insatiable demand that exists for handguns these days - and as fast as all gun makers are working "OT" to toss them together and get them cranked out.
    Any semi-automatic that I bought "New In Box" in 2012 that functioned "flawlessly" my first time out for a shooting session....I would get a big smile on my face and look up toward the clouds and say: "Thank You!"

    Let us know how she is working out for you.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

  13. #27
    Member Array GrandZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    CT, USA
    Posts
    86
    Hoffman's...therein may lie your problem. I agree with the notion that an employee probably had some fun with it. They don't take very good care of their guns as I've seen grime and dirt all over most of the guns I've handled there. OTOH, I've bought my LCP and M&P 9c there with no problems, but only after very close inspections of both prior to purchase.

  14. #28
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Factoring in the insatiable demand that exists for handguns these days - and as fast as all gun makers are working "OT" to toss them together and get them cranked out.
    Any semi-automatic that I bought "New In Box" in 2012 that functioned "flawlessly" my first time out for a shooting session....I would get a big smile on my face and look up toward the clouds and say: "Thank You!"

    Let us know how she is working out for you.
    Going to head to the range tomorrow and test her out. My range is closed on Mondays so I couldn't go today. Il post a thread about how it went and il throw in a little gun porn. :)

  15. #29
    Member Array RugerSRGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North East
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandZJ View Post
    Hoffman's...therein may lie your problem. I agree with the notion that an employee probably had some fun with it. They don't take very good care of their guns as I've seen grime and dirt all over most of the guns I've handled there. OTOH, I've bought my LCP and M&P 9c there with no problems, but only after very close inspections of both prior to purchase.
    I've bought all of my guns from hoffmans. All 3 rugers were spotless and have run perfectly since I got them. I guess I just freaked out because I was used to spotless guns out of the box from ruger. But I do agree with you on hoffmans staff they aren't exactly the most caring or knowledgable bunch. And some of the younger ones seem like tools. Just working there because "having a gun makes them cool" and they are able to wear a gun all day at work. I mean don't get me wrong guns are very cool. But I don't own them just to say hey look at my cool gun. I own them to protect myself and my family ( And my emp to be a pretty little gun while protecting myself and my family lol). I only shop there because their prices are pretty good and it's convenient I certainly don't shop there for the knowledge of the product being sold. That's what this forum is for.

  16. #30
    Moderator
    Array gasmitty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    10,187
    re Hoffman's - do Scott and Dino still run the place?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

are taurus guns test fired at the factory
,
bought new gun looks used?
,
bought pistol brand new but it looks used
,
brand new gun looks used
,
home town guns connecticut
,
home town guns ct
,

hometown guns connecticut

,

hometown guns ct

,
hometown guns ct.
,
new firearm looks used
,

new gun looks used

,
used gun sold as new
Click on a term to search for related topics.