Bought new gun looks like used??

This is a discussion on Bought new gun looks like used?? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I purchased a brand new Springfield EMP .40 Saturday. Thing is dripping with oil which I know factory's do. Here's what concerns me. This ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Bought new gun looks like used??

So I purchased a brand new Springfield EMP .40 Saturday. Thing is dripping with oil which I know factory's do. Here's what concerns me. This is only my 4th gun I've purchased. All brand new. The other 3 are all rugers and came greased up and I cleaned them right out of the box. This gun however is dirty inside. Not too dirty that it looks like a used gun but certainly looks fired. I'm going to post pics of certain parts and let you guys decide. My concern is that maybe I'm wrong maybe they test fired this gun at the factory and that's the dirt inside? My rugers also came with the casing from the test fire. This Springfield did not. I don't know if that's normal or not. Let me know how you EMPs came if you have one or if you don't just let me know what you think. This gun has NOT been fired by me yet and has only been broken down to clean when I noticed the dirt inside of it and decided to present this info to you to decide wether to continue my cleaning and move on or leave it and return to the store to complain about selling me a used gun as new.

Here is the inside of the barrel(ramp is clean because I already wiped it see next pic):

Here is the dirt that came off of the feed ramp:

Here is the firing pin area whatever it's called (can also see dirt inside slide around area):

Here is some dirt that gets on the grooves on the outside of the slide usually from racking the slide with dirty gun powder hands:

What do you guys think.

P.S. the gun feels super tight as a compact 1911 should out of the box and the spring is still very tight.

Senior Moderator
    Almost all firearms are test fired before being sold.. So, yes, you're firearm was fired.. You didn't find the shell casing from the test fire ANYWHERE? That's odd.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Almost all firearms are test fired before being sold.. So, yes, you're firearm was fired.. look in your case, you'll find the spent shell casing from the test fire.
    My case did NOT come with the test fire casing.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    My case did NOT come with the test fire casing.
    Yeah, I saw that.. which is why I edited my original statement. It's odd not to find the casings. In some states you have to turn those in.

I don't think it's a big thing. Springfield has a lifetime warranty and a few rounds through the firearm certainly shouldn't hurt a thing... especially if you are expecting to put thousands more through it.

I guess the real questions is...... how much does it matter to you?

In the last pic it looks allot like dirt collecting in the corners of the finger grips, if so that seems like more then just a test fire. But if the gun feels right and shoots right I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Yeah, I saw that.. which is why I edited my original statement. It's odd not to find the casings. In some states you have to turn those in.

I don't think it's a big thing. Springfield has a lifetime warranty and a few rounds through the firearm certainly shouldn't hurt a thing... especially if you are expecting to put thousands more through it.

I guess the real questions is...... how much does it matter to you?
    I'm sorry I replied before you edited and realized I kinda sounded rude with the tone of my post I didn't mean it to be rude I appologize. As far as how much it matters to me honestly I read amazing things about Springfield CS and know if anything is wrong they will make it right. My concern is more the fact that I paid $1149 plus tax for a brand new firearm and feel that it should be new otherwise It should have been sold to me as Used cost, no? If I should bring it back and get some money back I will. But, if you guys think this is normal for this model and maker I won't bother. This is my first non-ruger so I don't know how other brands do things. Which is why I'm a member of this great forum because I value everyone here's opinions and information on things that I have no clue about. I appreciate the quick responses limatunes.

New cars have a few miles on them. So do some guns. Maybe they had an issue at the factory that required them to fire it a few times? As for the slide, I wonder how many tire kickers have fondled that gun but won't lay down the cash for it? I would shoot it before I did anything else. If it runs fine, clean it up and enjoy it. My Kahr was dirty from the factory from being shot.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Administrator
    What is also possible is that your firearm was initially test fired and subsequently a function related problem was noticed & so it was sent back at Springfield for an adjustment and then test fired again to a greater degree than normal to insure that it functioned properly and then shipped out.

That is very possible but, I DO agree that it never should have made it out of Springfield that dirty.

I would say "shoot it" and if it functions perfectly then call it good and send those "new gun" PICS over to Springfield and see if you can cop another free magazine off of them because they Whoopsed! & let that one slip out without a proper final cleaning.
    RugerSRGuy likes this.

very normal to have a new gun with gun powder residue inside. test firing can be more than just a couple of rounds as previous posters have noted.
    Selling a used gun as new is an offense that no FFL wants to mess with.

Relax and enjoy your new EMP.
    DIRO305 likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Thank you guys for the info and for bringing my concern meter back down to normal levels. Finished cleaning it up and ready for some range time before I decide to carry this beauty. Figured eh least I got the pictures for evidence right. Thanks again guys. Appreciate it.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I second that it probably had issues off the assembly line and was fired extra. Still, that's a lot of powder residue on the bolt face.

VIP Member
    Given my experience in buying a new gun or two , it is not at all unusual to find that it has been previously fired.

What used to really tick me off was when I turned in a personal firearm to the armory, squeaky clean and it would come back dirty.

Cleaned it up and ready to Fire it myself haha. I'm going to take QKShooters advice and send the pictures off to Springfield to let them know how dirty they let this gun leave. Thanks again guys. Hopefully whatever problem they ran into that required extra test firing is fixed!

It's not uncommon to get a dirty gun out of the box. None of those bores get cleaned after test firing, at least not in any of my recent buying experiences.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RugerSRGuy View Post
    I'm sorry I replied before you edited and realized I kinda sounded rude with the tone of my post I didn't mean it to be rude I appologize.
    Nope, I didn't think it was rude. I realized what happened. No problem. hope it works out for you!

Yes, a used firearm should be sold at used costs... no question. But, yeah, a few test shots through a firearm from the factory do not a "used" gun make. Even though, I guess, technically, it's used.... confusing, isn't is? LOL

Springfield has a reputation for great customer service and warranty so I don't think you will be disappointed with them in the long run. And some firearms go through more test firing than others and I'd rather have the extra rounds through my firearm and have it working well than one or two shots and have issues.

Let us know if Springfield says anything about the pictures.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links