Family Fun at the Shooting Range

This is a discussion on Family Fun at the Shooting Range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I took the family out to the shooting range this weekend. All in all it was a blast but being the one with the most ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Moundman

Thread: Family Fun at the Shooting Range

I took the family out to the shooting range this weekend. All in all it was a blast but being the one with the most experience by far it was exhausting. The video is not the greatest because I had to keep helping everyone. lol But hey everyone had a good time and there is nothing like shooting with the family.

Family Fun at the Shooting Range - YouTube

Distinguished Member
    Very nice! Looks like everyone did good, I love the expression on your son's face after each shot.
    Ya, after taking a few people to the range the last few times, I've really learned to appreciate a solo trip to the range.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Looks like fun. I used to take my daughters, but they are teenagers now and they are too cool to hang out with me. But when we did go, I realized that I was not there too shoot. They were there to shoot and I was there to be at their beckon call. My wife has trained them well. It was a blast watching them plink around while I loaded magazines for them. The looks on their faces when they hit what they were aiming at is (was) priceless. Good times that are only in my memory now. Some day when I get cooler, maybe they will join me again. Enjoy, andn remember. They grow up real fast.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Can't wait to take my boys. Some great, although limited, memories at the range as a kid.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Good times!

If you don't mind a little critique, coach your son to get his cheek down on the stock. I was a little concerned that Dad was crossing his thumb behind the slide, but by the end of the video he had a much better grip. Hope he didn't learn that the painful way!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by txron View Post
    Looks like fun. I used to take my daughters, but they are teenagers now and they are too cool to hang out with me. But when we did go, I realized that I was not there too shoot. They were there to shoot and I was there to be at their beckon call. My wife has trained them well. It was a blast watching them plink around while I loaded magazines for them. The looks on their faces when they hit what they were aiming at is (was) priceless. Good times that are only in my memory now. Some day when I get cooler, maybe they will join me again. Enjoy, andn remember. They grow up real fast.
    Yeah I loved sports my whole life and was hoping he loved them to. Lol that's not the case. He loves guns, military and anything to do with this kind of stuff. So I've spent the last year taking him to the range with me. He loves it and I love doing it with him. Normally I won't even shoot when I take him. I'm just there to help and enjoy the moments.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Can't wait to take my boys. Some great, although limited, memories at the range as a kid.
    Yep I agree. Some of my best memories are dove hunting with my dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Good times!

If you don't mind a little critique, coach your son to get his cheek down on the stock. I was a little concerned that Dad was crossing his thumb behind the slide, but by the end of the video he had a much better grip. Hope he didn't learn that the painful way!
    Not at all. Always can learn stuff. As for my dad. lol I quickly corrected him. Luckily he didn't get his thumb busted.

please, please make sure the kids' ears are protected well.

my left ear is still ringing from LAST wednesday. :(

My daughter and son ( 20 and 32 ) still shoot with me. I have a range on our property, both handgun and long gun to 93 yds, so dont have to load up , but can shoot what we want the way we want. From the draw, moving, and behind cover, most public ranges prohibit these. Much better and realistic training. Even get tips from 20 year old daughter ( btw she is an MP in National Gaurd ) as most of my training was a lot of years ago. It is a good time by all for a Sat/ Sunday afternoon. Hope they keep going for a few more years

Eye and EAR protection a must, protect their senses. Bout deaf myself. Range bag carries 4 sets ear protection ( 2 electronic and 2 passive ) and glasses. Plenty extra ear plugs as well. First rule on range, ear and eye protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Pythius View Post
    please, please make sure the kids' ears are protected well.

my left ear is still ringing from LAST wednesday. :(
    Yeah my son has double protection in. Ear plugs and ear muffs. The one of the down falls of the indoor range in my opinion. Still need to wear them outside of course but it's a lot nicer. I made the mistake a few months ago shooting my AR-15 outside. I thought 1 quick shot won't hurt. Damn I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by wstrnrdr53 View Post
    My daughter and son ( 20 and 32 ) still shoot with me. I have a range on our property, both handgun and long gun to 93 yds, so dont have to load up , but can shoot what we want the way we want. From the draw, moving, and behind cover, most public ranges prohibit these. Much better and realistic training. Even get tips from 20 year old daughter ( btw she is an MP in National Gaurd ) as most of my training was a lot of years ago. It is a good time by all for a Sat/ Sunday afternoon. Hope they keep going for a few more years

No need to brag. lol I definitely enjoy an outdoor range more. My buddy has some land that we shoot at but he was in SC so it was off limits. I agree on the training aspects. We are building a little course out there. Hopefully we'll be done this spring. In my other videos on my youtube channel that's where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by wstrnrdr53 View Post
    Eye and EAR protection a must, protect their senses. Bout deaf myself. Range bag carries 4 sets ear protection ( 2 electronic and 2 passive ) and glasses. Plenty extra ear plugs as well. First rule on range, ear and eye protection.
    Yeah I have a crap load of ear plugs. They are cheap and well worth it. I'm looking at getting some of the electronic ear muffs. Do you think they are worth it? I've never used them before. Safety is definitely high priority with me and my family. My son and I do safety drills at home after his homework is done. For a 9 1/2 yr old he does a heck of a job.

Sponsored Links